Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Asphalt or cement  (Read 5418 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
My driveway is going to crap. What would be cheaper and or better.

I'm thinking about asphalt, like the way the snow and ice melts off.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Depends on what you have now.

Our driveway was, and has been, class 5....this last time I had them deliver crushed asphalt. I like it so far.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I currently have asphalt, I'm in town so I don't know yet what they require. :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pros and cons to both.  Concrete usually costs more I think.  Asphalt is cheaper and maybe a little easier to patch the cracks that occur.   ??????   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm thinking if someone comes in and does it right, and I take care of it it will last my lifetime. I had it redone years ago but he talked me into just an overlay. Really dumb move. Thinking it needs a little dirt work first.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I lived in Stillwater we built a nice new garage and wanted 2 small asphalt driveways put in.  This company that every year bombarded towns with flyers and salesmen stopped at my house.  I said give me a quote and I know what the price of asphalt is 15 miles away where everyone bought it.  He dicked around and wasted my time and finally gave me a price and I said you have to be kidding.  It was like 3 times what it should have been.  I felt for the people that I know hired these shysters.  I called a local company and they did an excellent job and was a third of the price.  It pays to call around. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty sure the city has some upcoming resurfacing yo do, think I might talk to them. :sleazy: :sleazy:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
helped my neighbor get his asphalt drivway in,had a blacktop company as a customer that did primary commercial job's such as streets store parking lot's etc.they came in graded the soon to be driveway out,layed down chass 5 and compacted it then layed down commercial grade blacktop,two years later cracks from tree roots,driveway needed resealing(what a mess,he did it himself),layed alot of concrete in my days,zero maintenance as long as you get the right mix and air in wet crete to allow for expansion with weather condition(hot and cold) but concrete will cost more.,no maintenance.

Me? I'm a cheap SOB , long driveway every few years a layer of class 5,let it compact for a few weeks then a layer of 3" limestone,done deal. did this 3 times in 20 years,low cost.

Alot to be said as stated above about recycled asphalt as it compacts nicely,infact most of the alcan hiway going thru western canada is made up of this stuff holds up great over loose gravel but you'll have bumps but no loose sand etc coming in to the house

« Last Edit: March 03/10/21, 07:00:35 AM by snow1 »

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I did get a quote for blacktop yesterday. My driveway is about 200' long with a circle in front of the garage and a small parking area to one side, 5400 sq. feet. Removing the exisiting blacktop which is about 40 years old and putting down a new 3" (compacked) layer he quoted at 15K. The guys doing my new garage told me concrete for the floor in it runs about $6.00 or a bit less per sq foot. I should be getting another price sometime this week from a second paving outfit. There was a time when it was a coin toss as far as prices for the two. Pros and cons for both. Good luck glenn, spend some of that union money you squirreled away.  ;) ;)
mm

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Markn ,holy cow didn't realize how much concrete went up in price,I poured my sidewalk/patio  not long ago myself.paid $35/yard took 8 yards 3/4" agregate 3500lb/3%air. driveway should be at least 5000lb with 5% air I would think but maybe things have changed? but wow what a price jump.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow, I’m not 100% sure but I think the pricing for a concrete driveway and a garage slab might be different. I was using what I was I was quoted for a garage that is using a tapered footing. My mistake for misleading you. Sorry.
mm

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow, I’m not 100% sure but I think the pricing for a concrete driveway and a garage slab might be different. I was using what I was I was quoted for a garage that is using a tapered footing. My mistake for misleading you. Sorry.

Concrete is hard work,I suppose the labor alone is big bucks,as a young man  I thought I hit the jackpot at 3.50/hr on my first job as a laborer in vail colorado....the good ole days,my mind tells me to go back but my body says "no-f---en way,the scenery in vail is second to none,the mountains are beautiful as well,trout fishing world class(fly fishing)

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Concrete lasts longer. Asphalt melts off the ice and snow quicker. You need to drill oil to have asphalt roadways but the electric cars will be warmer parked on it. Recoating asphalt actually pulls the bituminous out of the drive. shortening the lifespan.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects