Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50795 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
So today I went to Menards, the house of bargains, I hear. Took advantage of the 15% bag sale. They wouldn't let me put the cute little cashier in the bag however. :pouty: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Any how, they had the garden seed rack out, so I took advantage. But dang nabit I got watch more closely. :confused:

Anyone plant kaleidoscope carrots??? :doofus:

Anyone want that pack of do called hot peppers?? :doofus:
« Last Edit: January 01/11/22, 06:31:44 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone plant kaleidoscope carrots??? :doofus:
Yep.  They are fun, look cool, and taste good too!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cool looking carrots but would be weird biting into one.  SO are you doing some real in advance prepping/hoarding Glenn.  20222 is a long ways off.  You may want to get new lids for your canning projects.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Cool looking carrots but would be weird biting into one.  SO are you doing some real in advance prepping/hoarding Glenn.  20222 is a long ways off.  You may want to get new lids for your canning projects.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
OOPS!!🤪 :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope the seeds will still germinate.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yes I'll take the peppers!!!  I'd even try the carrots!!!   going there tomorrow.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yes I'll take the peppers!!!  I'd even try the carrots!!!   going there tomorrow..
you can have the peppers.....gonna try the carrots myself!!!!!!!

remind me closer to the decoy show............it'll give me  reason to go!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
can do!!  I meant on the carrots I would plant them too!!   :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
In full disclosure, it was my daughter who planted the colored carrots.  We roasted them and left just a bit of the stalk on for added color.  It made for a rustic, heirloom presentation and we served them at a big family dinner when everyone was over.  It would have made a fine picture for the crockpot thread.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Time to get the garden going. I started 7 tomato and 3 peppers today. They take the longest to grow before transplanting.

Tomatoes....Taxi....Saucey.....Siletz......Abu Rowan.....Kellogg's Breakfast.....
                  Gold Medal......Black Krim

Peppers.....Ace Bell.....King Arthur Bell....Early Jalapeno
« Last Edit: March 03/07/22, 11:43:03 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well my brother did text me the other day how many of those lucky tiger tomato plants i wantd, so it must be getting close.  :scratch:

i did make a list of plants i needed to get when the time comes!!!!! does that count????/ :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
well my brother did text me the other day how many of those lucky tiger tomato plants i wantd, so it must be getting close.  :scratch:

i did make a list of plants i needed to get when the time comes!!!!! does that count????/ :rotflmao:

Yup.....thinking about gardening. :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i spent some time with my brother at the cabin last week. he starts a pile of tomatoes from seeds. i asked if he has them started. he said there well on there way. guess he started 3 batches at 1 week intervals..... got some already 4 inches high some 2, and some just popping outta the dirt.

BUT......he warned me..... he left them in the care of his significant other......and was a bit scared!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: apparently she doesnt have a green thumb!!!!!!! :surrender: :doah:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have 30 Tomatoes now 3 inches tall under grow lights.

10 Peppers are up and growing. They take 2 weeks to germinate.

Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Romaine, Pak Choi, Kohlrabi and Basil all starting to pop up.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm guessing my tomatoes are getting a good start in someone's commercial greenhouse somewhere. Be interesting to see how they like their digs in the new area. Recently been watching the pheasants pick at stuff in last year's garden. No idea what they're attracted to (I left very little residue behind) but they keep coming back. Ate some buttercup squash last night that I froze last fall. Nummy! Need to source some glyphosate so I can scorch off another chunk of pasture this spring. After the snow melts and it greens up of course.  :coffee:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ken, I just plant kalarbi in the garden straight from seed. Usually have some to eat my mid July ?

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn....I start them just like the rest of the Kohl Crops. I'm eating them in June. They are easy to transplant. I use a method I learned 40 years ago from the Nat'l Gardening Center when I was a Nat'l. test gardener for them. Tested seeds before they came out in the catalogs.

I plant in a 3 foot wide row 3/2 pattern. The 3's are Broc, Caul, Cab. The 2's are Kohlrabi and Pak Choi for Chinese Stir Fry. They come out first and the other 3 fill in the empty space.

I also plant Kohlrabi seed like you do for later in the summer. Kohlrabi all summer.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What's that 3-2 thing Ken?

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
A 3 foot wide row. 3 Broccoli, Cauliflower or Cabbage across the row. Caul in the middle, Broc or Cab on the outside. Caul heads earlier and pulled out. Broc stay on the outside till freeze up.

Then the next row is Kohl or Head Lettuce or Pak Choi. They mature earlier. Pulled out and the Broc and Caul fill in the empty space. Then the next row across is Broc, Caul, or Cab. Then the next Kohl, Pak Choi or Lettuce.

You make the row wide enough to reach the middle from both sides. You wind up with more plants and less paths like most gardeners tend to do. I do the same with rows of onions that are 8 inches apart in rows 3 feet wide. Same with rows of Beets and Carrots....rows 8 inches apart in rows 3 feet wide.

Same with Beans. Scatter the seeds across the 3 foot row instead of single plants in a row. You want more plants and less paths.
« Last Edit: March 03/30/22, 07:24:10 PM by KEN W »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that is quite the operation Ken.  Good for you.  We are going all out with our usual 6 tomatoes.  LOL  There will be some other things too of course.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We may try a few more things this year now that I got the final grade done behind our garage. The fight will be keeping the deer out of it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
More activity from the flower bed I've been working on where I planted some daffodils from my Mom's place fall before last. Planted a couple of the mixed bulb indoor pots the wife was gonna toss last year just to see what would happen. So far I see a bunch of hyacinths and tulips coming up where I put them. All the spots where daffodils were planted are coming too as well as the jonquils I planted a few years back. They were the first things to bloom last spring. Stuff is really moving at a snail's pace tho. Gee, I can't imagine why. :scratch: 
« Last Edit: April 04/03/22, 02:39:25 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I also have daffodils coming up. :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've been keeping an eye on my rubarb and no sign of life yet. my winter onions are there to.....no improvements there either!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
So last year we ended up with 7 qts of spaghetti sauce from primarily roma's and I had 1 slicer mater plant. The sauce was really good. Should I plant more of a variety for sauce and soup?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So last year we ended up with 7 qts of spaghetti sauce from primarily roma's and I had 1 slicer mater plant. The sauce was really good. Should I plant more of a variety for sauce and soup?
i'm no expert when it comes to making sketti sauce........but i would assume its more the seasonings you put into it that the tomato. i could be wrong. romas to me dont have alot of flavor, and are smaller then say better boy...beefsteak and big boy tomatoes. romas are meaty but a pain and you need more.

i look for meaty tomatoes like i mentioned!!!!!! maybe someone else can do a better job explaining iffin your just looking to make sketti sauce??/

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I figured out what tomatoes we had a few years ago that we really liked.  Not too big but a nice round fruit.  Early Girls.  I see they like cold weather and mature in 50 days.  The ones we had were like perfect round tennis balls.  Hope I can find some at the garden place here.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I completed pruning the Haralson & got most of the Honeycrisp  & SnowSweet done yesterday. Got windy & I quit. The Fireside is going to be a PITA. Looks like it grew hair! The pear trees are pretty basic. The crabapples will get the "lawnmower prune job" & more if there's time. Crappy day today too. Besides, I had to get my nap in! 😴

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
How much longer will it be safe to prune?