Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50779 times)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I always start all my own Cole Crops.....Kohlrabi, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Bok Choi. They all have tiny round black seeds. That must be a Kohlrabi with something wrong with it. I transplant and put seeds of Kohlrabi in the ground later.

Maybe it will still grow and produce a ball. I started mine in the house April 1. They are just starting to make balls.

What is the name of the variety.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
White veinna I believe.

I've been planting kalarabi since 1979 when I moved to this house not too mention at home at mom and dads. And until the last 4-5 years have never had these!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Garden is coming along nicely!  :happy1: hope this extreme heat doesn't damage it.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1:

Smurfberries are coming along nicely I see... :coffee: :whistling:
« Last Edit: June 06/17/22, 10:01:59 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1:

Smurfberries are coming along nicely I see... :coffee: :whistling:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Onion time. Summer solstice is on Tuesday. Longest day of the year. We plant long day onions. They will now start to bulb. I will be pulling out every other one to eat as green onions. Especially in salads.

They will now start to grow bulbs. Biggest top will have biggest bulbs. So I pull out the smaller ones. Until they are spaced 4 inches or so apart.

Also fertilize they with 10-10-10 to get them big.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So something ate our first batch of cukes.  We plant 6 of them and train them to climb a fence.  The second batch of 6 4 look shot.  2 look good yet.  So I bought 6 more.  All they had was picklers.  5-6" fruit.  I wonder if they will get bigger if left longer so we can eat them in salads or just alone?  I am trying it.  Maybe I should just let them grow out on the grass?   :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Need to maybe put a fence around it. My guess is bunnies, they like the new greens!

5 to 6 inch should work for cukes!!👍

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulled my lettuce and spinach today. Was getting bitter!

I bought another package of each, we'll be giving it a shot this fall!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Pickling cukes will get as fat as you want. Just not as long.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just planted 3 of them.  Will be fun to watch as they grow. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We have 16' of trellis for pickling cukes, they grow fast and get too big for us at times while were out of town.  But I'll slice the big ones up anyhow for fridge pickles.  We've only been gardening for a handful of years but we have well water and city water on separate spickets and the plants sure seem to do better with the well water. Go figure..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just came in from watering the garden. It still really sucks outside!!! :confused:

I am actually surprised the plants didn't look to bad! :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Busy last nite. Planted 4 more rows of sweet corn. Would've planted more except I'd have been pinched for fall garden space. Needed to leave room for a couple rows of string beans and snap peas. Should be able to put the radishes & greens in where the 4 rows of 1st planted string beans are by late July-early August. Weeded string beans and beets. Beets are real spotty so there will be room to plant some stuff there as well. Was able to do a lot of weeding with the garden rake. The more recently tilled ground has a crust on it after last week's rain so running a rake across over it should kill the bazillion waterhemp that were coming. Buttercup squash need to be thinned. They're about ready to take off or take over depending on how you look at it.

Have had trouble establishing cukes in 3 hills. Green dragons came up fine but only have one plant of Munchers that made it. Stabbed in some additional seed after the rain & haven't seen any action. Wondering if I've got some wireworm activity given their proximity to the sod.  :scratch: Have some Straight 8 seed that's a few days earlier I may plant. One more thing I may try too if wireworms or other soil borne vermin are the case...:evil:     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I put some Miracle grow on our garden the other day.  I put 1 1/2 tbls per 2 gallons of water.  Will do it about once a week.  Have never done it before so curious to see how it works.  I got a 6 pack of romaine lettuce and they gave me a free one when I got garden stuff.  It is growing real good but the leaves are real thick.  Many layers of growth.  I think it is cabbage.  LOL  I will take a pick and show youse guys. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is great lettuce LPS!!  I use it all the time now for salads!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Damn Dotch you get a the worms!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
that is great lettuce LPS!!  I use it all the time now for salads!!

Yes we love the stuff too but I don't think that is what is growing in our garden.  We get the two pack of romaine hearts. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I cheated last year lps and did the miracle grow gig during the summer.  Everything grew just fine, think I did the every other week program.  The neighbor poked his head over the fence yesterday and asked if I'm going to pinch off the "shoots" on the mater plants.  I thought someone here mentioned that last year,  maybe Ken...not sure. So I did a few but chickened out thinking I was grabbing the wrong ones. I did tho pull the first jalapeno today, green bells are starting to pop also.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I use the miracle grow when I think of it.

Once the mater's start showing fruit I put a tablespoon of Epsom salt by the stem about every 3-4th watering. I was told the epsom salt and miracle grow are about one and the same??

Oh and I gotz little mater's starting. :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok here is what they sold me as romaine.  We have grown romaine before but was 2 or 3 years and I think it was a taller growing plant. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The leaves are thicker than lettuce.  Cabbage???

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't think it's cabbage at all. Looks like some variety of lettuce. There's so many out there

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup lettuce!!!   I get the 3 pak from Aldi's when I buy it..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Definitely Romaine Lettuce.

I have grown a variety called Little Gem.

Here are 3 in my garden now. They grow tight crisp heads. But smaller than the ones in the store.

I keep cans around them to keep them growing tight and upright. Same  with the Bok Choi next to them. Do this with celery also.
« Last Edit: June 06/23/22, 07:21:34 PM by KEN W »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok good, I am glad that is what it is.  Was just surprised the leaves were so thick.  Looking forward to it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
They look good enough to sample already!!! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you think so?  Just cut the leaves off and have a salad?  Will keep growing I suppose.  We have 12 of them. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure miss a good salad.  Gonna have one tomorrow night.  Thanks for the info.  Have a few radishes I can pull tomorrow too.