Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Favorite Rod?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Do any of you have a favorite rod?

I usually do for different presentations and applications,but jumping in to my buddies boat last weekend changed things,one of his sponsor's loaded him up with these custom rods,all have the same feel but different line.reel applications,must be rough,I sweat paying over $100 for just one well built rod.

« Last Edit: May 05/24/22, 08:31:45 AM by snow1 »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My sponsor is a cheap arse.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here.  LOL

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Just like favorite rods we have favorite lures it's usually the one you/we use the most but vetran fisher ppl know always have extra's or a bunch of your goto lures...

« Last Edit: May 05/24/22, 11:16:49 AM by snow1 »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have some St Crioxs that I like. Would like to get a couple for the wife someday.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I have some St Crioxs that I like. Would like to get a couple for the wife someday.

St croix builds a good rod,good friend recently retired repping for st croix,got a couple ice sticks from him,very lite weight and senitive rods,years ago "fenwick" was the bigdog on the block and G-Loomis,maybe they still are,but seems like so many rod builder's out there these days.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I have a sponser to, keeps me sober. But i i like st croix and my custom made jigging rod
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a sponser to, keeps me sober. But i i like st croix and my custom made jigging rod
:happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Got a couple St Croix rods here, UL & ML. Got a great deal as Scheels must've been closing 'em out, ordered 3-4 & got 5-6. :happy1: :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I took a rod building class a few years ago.  I bought a St. Croix blank to make my rod.  The instructor said these would probably be your favorite rods from now on and he was right.  It is a medium heavy spinning rod.  Great for jigging here on the river.  I still use mono since it is med. heavy. 
« Last Edit: May 05/26/22, 11:45:48 AM by LPS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ours were 1 of the cheaper models, Premier(?), but still nice rods & the ones we use most. :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I think when I bought mine Premier was the top end of their line.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah JB, ours are at least 10, maybe 15 y/o. They didn't have 8-10 different styles of rods back then.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i love my fenwick for panfish. not sure what i gotz for my walleye or nord rods!!!!1
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
St. Croix's here also, started bout 10yrs ago switching all the cheaper  stuff out. Although I am a fan of running suffix 832 to boot with em.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have a lot (some may say too many) rods and reels. Thing is I probably couldn't name the brand of any of them. I pretty much think of them like I do sunglasses. I pick one up, shake it a bit and say, this will work. I will lose or break them sooner or later so my thinking is to have plenty spares. If I had to name a favorite rod, it would be the last one I was using when I caught a big fish.  :azn:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Just about everything I own says Shimano it. Rods and reels.
mm

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
St. Croix's here also, started bout 10yrs ago switching all the cheaper  stuff out. Although I am a fan of running suffix 832 to boot with em.
A buddy broke a nice custom panfish rod with braid on it quite a few years ago so my braid is on a couple slower action rods now.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I do a lot of casting and trolling during the summer months for Pike.... so a great rod, cheap... Ugly stick for me. Ten years so far on the pair I bought, both running braided line with Garcia's
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Years back when super braids came out like spider wire etc,we /I never gave it a thought about the wear on our fishing rods guides...

most if not all rods came with plastic rod guides,most of the cheaper rods still do have plastic guides,upgraded rods have either ceramic or titanium guides,issue with plastic guides using super braid is over time the braid will wear a groove in the guides from use doing so will eventually cause braid line to fray and you'll wonder why your line snapped with that big ole fish on,just a thought.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Haven't had that problem yet..........
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am still a mono guy but may try some braids again on one rod.  I talked to Ted Capra in his store about 25 years ago about the new fishing lines.  He said we have had braided line for years.  It didn't stretch.  Then mono came about and everyone started catching more fish due to the stretch shock absorber effect to the line.  Now they are making expensive stuff that has no stretch.  That is what we have had for years. He was backing one of the new no stretch brands then.   Spider wire???

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't had that problem yet..........
I don't use my ones with braid that much, so not an issue here either. A lot of live bait rigging here & that's usually my ML St. Croix/Pflueger combo with 6# mono for me.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i've used the 15 lb black braided line on my nord rods for like forever with no issues. occasionally i'll cut off about 2-3 ft and back at it. and been using the same rod forever. did put a new reel on it though last year.........wore out the other one reeling in so darn many fish!!!! :pouty: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
i've used the 15 lb black braided line on my nord rods for like forever with no issues. occasionally i'll cut off about 2-3 ft and back at it. and been using the same rod forever. did put a new reel on it though last year.........wore out the other one reeling in so darn many fish!!!! :pouty: :happy1:

GLENN GLENN glenn,I'm talking super braid line,example 50lb test braid in 8lb test diameter,that old black sewing thread line won't groove your plastic rod guides,but good idea to snip off a few feet now and then where yout lure is attached

Also iffin one spends alot of time on the water,the sun will make your mono line brittle over time,good idea to respool mono line couple times through out the summer iffin your rods are laying unprotected in your boat rather than in your rod locker,lake water ,sun no good for mono line.
« Last Edit: June 06/02/22, 01:25:54 PM by snow1 »