Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Double tows  (Read 2185 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a travel trailer that is 7,200 lbs.  My truck is listed at towing 10.200 lbs appx.  I want to bring my SxS a time or two a year but don't want to spend another 20 grand to trade in my new travel trailer for a 5th wheel so I can pull something behind it. I have had 5th wheels but don't have one now.  I do like them.  SO I want to relax the rules as many states have done and allow to pull a light trailer behind a bumper pull trailer.  Granted the max towable weight of both trailers and gear must be below the max truck towing specs.  SO I am thinking allowing a trailer 2,500 lbs or lighter.  At 3,000 lbs brakes are required.  SO this insures that it will be for lighter trailers and loads.  Any thoughts? 
My trailer has a factory installed hitch on back.
« Last Edit: July 07/31/22, 05:00:41 PM by LPS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Sounds like you did your homework. I can't reply if it's legal or not.... because I just don't know.

I've seen f150's pulling a camper/ice castle with a 16 foot Lund in tow, and they get away with it  :scratch:

I guess I'd have to check with the DMV to see what's "Legal"
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I ve seen a bunch of that while driving when I was doing the union thug thing. See a fair amount heading back and forth to the cabin.

Other then that I got nuttin. Like HD I'd have to check with law enforcement.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I did that when we had the 5th wheel trailer, but have not noticed a pull behind doing that...  I'll have to watch more now... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought it was illegal so I am going to try to change it by letting them know an easy way to allow light weight pull behinds. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so do I
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Legal, illegal…I don’t care. Just make sure you can at least drive the posted speed limit!  Lol. Coming home from Aitkin today, some yahoo was doing this driving between 45-55 (60mph posted). Pretty sure it was NOT a fifth wheel but I was too angry to notice for sure.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm with HD here, as I've seen a few too. Most of the time, 99%, it's a 5th wheel travel trailer with a boat behind it that I see here. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS. Last time I looked into this, which was awhile ago, was that you couldn't pull a second trailer behind a trailer that has safety chains connected to your vehicle. This included the ball type hitches commonly used on livestock trailers. There also used to be a "length" law where you can't be over "X" feet long from front bumper of vehicle to the end of the trailers. These laws may have changed over the years so I would check into it beforehand. I pull my 28' camper and a 10' trailer behind it a couple times a year with my side by side or golf cart on it. Good luck.  :happy1: :happy1: 
mm

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Read the last sentence

M.S.S. 169.011 Subdivision 62 (a) which states that a "Recreational vehicle combination" means a combination of vehicles consisting of a full-size pickup truck or a recreational truck-tractor attached by means of a kingpin and fifth-wheel coupling to a middle vehicle which has hitched to it a trailer. And (b) For purposes of this subdivision, a "kingpin and fifth-wheel coupling" is a coupling between a middle vehicle and a towing full-size pickup truck or a recreational truck-tractor in which a portion of the weight of the towed middle vehicle is carried over or forward of the rear axle of the towing pickup. Please note that a simple ball hitch for the first trailer does not meet the legal requirements.
« Last Edit: August 08/01/22, 07:35:49 AM by Cooperman »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, in Minnesota it has to be a fifth wheel to pull double and max length is 70 feet combined. ND is 75 feet. I see what LPS is trying to push for and I agree with him. Sure wish all states would match.
This is our rig.

Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Usually a once a year thing.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice rig JB. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Nice rig JB.
:happy1: yeppers...nice get up. just hope that aint a FORD pulling all that!!!!!!!! :evil: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Wait, was that you 169 last weekend??? :mooning: ;)
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope. We come south from LPS direction.
No Ford here Glenn. Chebby Duramax!

Wait, was that you 169 last weekend??? :mooning: ;)