Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: First Grouse Hunt  (Read 2100 times)

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
This weekend was my first grouse hunt here in MN(hunted grouse in ME mostly). Got to a trail head and as I was getting my boots on a guy with a over/under shotgun and Springer get out of a truck next to me. I know I'm not going to beat that dog based on how this land is. I say hi and chat for a minute with the guy. Great guy and he was willing to spilt up the area. I have never been there and I have a spot 20 mins away I want to check so I let him have the area. His boots touched the trail before mine so it's only fair. I heard him shoot something not long after. I go to my 2nd spot and it was tough to find birds. Flushed 1 grouse but other than that I didn't see much. It was a nice relaxing grouse/woodcock hunt with almost no action but what a beautiful walk. I hunted around the Princeton area. What a beautiful state so far. I can't wait to explore more of it.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure is fun to get out, if your looking at a day walk go a little further north cab. You don't havta get way up north to find birds but just north of Millacs you should get some shooting in.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I'm not a grouse hunter but I've seen a few birds in the Sherburne wildlife refuge. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
It will only get better to as the leaves start dropping. Hard to see any birds right now. But it is just nice to get out there.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Always envious of you guys who live up north and can walk out your front door to grouse hunt. I love being in the woods with the solitude it provides. There are some grouse over in SE MN too but good luck trying to hunt them. Pretty thick cover especially since few graze cattle in the woods anymore.   
« Last Edit: September 09/27/22, 10:58:32 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)