Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: duplicate monitor  (Read 2405 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
In our office the wife and I each have a desk that face each other.  I have a 32" monitor so I can be as cool as HD and it is awesome.  I also have some great speakers so we listen to good music at times.  She has a laptop that she uses.  I set up a spare monitor just so she can see the music video on it.  I hooked up a HDMI cable between them but it doesn't work.  I just want her to see what is on my monitor and will unplug it when not using it.  What do I have to do to make it happen.  Shouldn't be that difficult.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
In our office the wife and I each have a desk that face each other.  I have a 32" monitor so I can be as cool as HD and it is awesome.  I also have some great speakers so we listen to good music at times.  She has a laptop that she uses.  I set up a spare monitor just so she can see the music video on it.  I hooked up a HDMI cable between them but it doesn't work.  I just want her to see what is on my monitor and will unplug it when not using it.  What do I have to do to make it happen.  Shouldn't be that difficult.
A chair next to yours!  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:  It is that simple isn't it?   Thinking I need a splitter.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: You could TRY asking glenn............................ ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: or https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+hook+up+a+spare+pc+monitor&cvid=9d8e3b61733c469aa289493720dd6786&aqs=edge..69i57j0l8.18375j....................... this might help. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What do I have to do to make it happen?
Do you have a windows desktop computer?  Look back there to see if you have two monitor output connectors.  If so, it should be a matter of plugging in a second monitor and going to Windows Display Settings to get the second monitor to mirror what is displayed on the main monitor.  (You sure that is a good idea, LPS?  :scratch:)

The Display Settings options can get fussy, but there will be Google articles on how to futz with it.  And if you don't have a second monitor connector, you will have to get a device like Gunner suggests - and then you will still have to futz with Windows Display Settings to make is show what you want.

G'luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it is a windows PC.  It has one of those connections with the pins and turns into an HDMI where it hooks into the monitor.  The monitor has extra HDMi ports so I just hooked a cable from one of those to the extra monitor but nothing happened. I will only hook it up when we listen to music.  lol

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Apparently, Daisy Chaining is now available for Windows using something called DisplayPort and a protocol named Multi-Stream Transport (MST).  It looks like your computer and monitors will need the right hardware ports, graphics card support, and cables.  If you don't have this, you will need some sort of multi-monitor connector.

How to Daisy Chain Multiple Monitors Using DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport (MST)

Look close at those extra monitor ports.  Apparently HDMI looks a lot like DisplayPort.  You may have the ports you need on your monitors.
 But if your computer graphics doesn't support DisplayPort v1.2 or higher, it won't work.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: In our settings/system under displays/multiple displays it says that older displays may not be recognized automatically & there's a place to click on to try to do it manually. :confused: Windows 10 here.
« Last Edit: November 11/16/22, 09:14:56 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of great info here.  I will check it all out too.  Thanks

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Next to where my monitor plugs in there is another of those pin type of connections that says VGA  it looks like a monitor icon next to it.  I may have to find a cord to match that. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

There no way this would work at my house no matter how you hooked it up.  Cuz she an't watching Vise Grip Garage on Youtube and I an't watchen Hallmark!   :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :coffee:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You got that right Leech.  This will only be used when we are both in the office and she wants to enjoy music that I am playing.  SO I need a VGA to HDMI cable.   They are directional so an HDMI to VGA looks the same but won't work. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Next to where my monitor plugs in there is another of those pin type of connections that says VGA  it looks like a monitor icon next to it.  I may have to find a cord to match that. 
Steps 2-4 here mentions being able to use an adapter.  :scratch:  https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Monitors
« Last Edit: November 11/16/22, 01:35:44 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So my PC and the monitor have HDMI ports so that is all I need it sounds like.  No need for a VGA to hdmi cable

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
How many HDMI ports coming out of the back of the computer?  If there are two, you might be lucky.  Just plug one monitor into each HDMI output. 

If you only have one HDMI output from the PC, then you will either need to get a dedicated graphics card, which will also have an HDMI output to connect a monitor to...

OR...

You can get one of those USB to 2 HDMI (out) "splitters" that Gunner showed, below, or you can also get an HDMI to 2 HDMI splitter as well.  This option will be cheaper than a second graphics card.

(The other option I mentioned below is that you still could daisy chain the monitors, but only if your computer graphics supports DisplayPort v1.2 AND your monitors both have DisplayPort compatible ports.  They look like HDMI ports, but they should be labeled DP instead of HDMI.  And then if all that is true, you'd need to get DisplayPort cables.)

Isn't computer stuff fun.  :cheerleader: :rocker; :dancinred: :snow5: :nerd: :party3:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There is a DP port on both monitors.  I have a DP cable so plugged into both of them.  Nothing.

I have 2 HDMI ports and one is for my printer, the other is for a hub on my desk with dongles for my keyboard and mouse.  When I plug those into my PC they don't work because of my steel desk.   SO I guess I need an HDMI splitter. 
« Last Edit: November 11/16/22, 04:12:38 PM by LPS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am appreciating all of the help so bear with me.  Will be great when I get it figured out. I had an AVG to HDMI adapter ordered but just canceled it cuz it doesn't sound like the AVG will necessarily work.  I will order and HDMI splitter and run one leg of it to each monitor.  Right???   LOL 

My PC is maybe 8 years old and the monitors are less than 2 years old.
« Last Edit: November 11/16/22, 04:26:27 PM by LPS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You aren't gonna believe this.  After all of this trying to figure this out the wife has an idea.  She says how about we hook up your old monitor.  It has the AGV fitting on its cables.  ?????   LOLOL   SO she brings it out and we hook up the darn thing and it works great!!!!   I couldn't believe it.  SO both the larger pin connector and the smaller AGV pin connector thing both work on my PC.  DUH!  I poured her a glass of wine for that one.  I made me a strong one too.  SO I did learn from all of our info but the wife made it work.  SO is that another toy for her so I am in line for even another cool thing now????   The first thing I played was Chris Stapleton's Tennessee Whisky.  And yes I had one.
« Last Edit: November 11/16/22, 09:06:21 PM by LPS »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Just saying!  :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
SO is that another toy for her so I am in line for even another cool thing now????

Again...  ;)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife thought the Seinfeld answer was hilarious.  Roony she said it is too early for Christmas.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm warnin' ya...  one of 'deez dayz,  havin' 'dem double screens is goona getcha in trubba.  :doah:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I told her you were worried about that and she smiled.  LOL  Thanks for all of youse guys help. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'm warnin' ya...  one of 'deez dayz,  havin' 'dem double screens is goona getcha in trubba.  :doah:
:rotflmao: yep 2 screens, 2X the amount of Amazon stuff!?!🤣🤣
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
  I have a 32" monitor so I can be as cool as HD and it is awesome.

I'm flattered, but I'm not really that cool  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!