Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sad day for sure.  (Read 2198 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
The little boy I've been taking fishing and trapping has lost his father.  He had struggled with PTSD from his time in the military.  For a long time.  He chose to hang himself in their basement.  Gavin seen his father hanging.   Gavin called me this morning and wanted to go fishing with me soon.   Taking him out this Thursday.   He seemed happy when he called me.  He is only 9.  It makes me cry when I think about it.  Brings me back to when I struggled with depression and thoughts of suicide.    Only thing that kept me alive was my kids and that they needed a dad.  I plan on being there for the 2 boys.  Going to just let them enjoy themselves and the time I'm with them.  Let them just lead any and all conversations about their dad.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Tough deal, DK.  You’re a good man.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Really sad for a kid that age.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Your a good dude Dakids!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What a terrible thing for a kid to see.  Since he was happy when you talked maybe it hasn't even sunk in yet and he is keeping it hidden away somewhere.  Good for you to take him out and doing anything fun with him.  Thank you.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys.  I'll definitely be there for him as much as he needs. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yes you are a dang good man.. that's a bad deal...   my best to all of ya... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great that you're there for him. It will be hard to get thst image out of his head.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that is a sad deal. Glad that you are there for him DK! You are an awesome man!!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Prayers for all.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow.  There aren't words...

What a blessing you have been to Gavin, and now will be to his brother, as they try to make sense out of something that makes no sense.  Yeah, there are causes, but nothing that can be understood by boys that age.

My prayers go out to you all.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I just don't understand people who do those things. To do it where the family will discover them is mind boggling to me. Had a relative who shot himself in the garage and his wife had to find him.

Thank you for being there for the boys. It will become more important as time goes on and they try to make sense of what happened & why to their dad.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good sheep friend of ours offed himself a few years back. Left a note for his wife and some other friends found him out behind the barn. Just plain awful for everyone.

Super that you've stepped up to the plate dk.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I just got off the phone with Gavin.  We are going to try and go fishing Thursday morning andthen again Saturday morning with his grandma. He seems excited and happy Togo fishing.  He said that his grandma  "never catches fish and basically sucks at fishing"  so he wants her to catch a fish.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
My heart gose out to him. No words, just prayer for him to heal, with help from yu, its possible. I know yull be ther for him wen he needs you. God puts us with those we need in our lives.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Brings me back to when I struggled with depression and thoughts of suicide.  Only thing that kept me alive was my kids and that they needed a dad.
Someone put you in that young mans life for a reason. There's only one being in this world that wants to make us fail and to destroy us from the plans we have been given.  And it's not us.   :happy1: 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can't wait to hit the ice tomorrow.   I'm not going to ask anything about his dad.   I'll let him lead the conversation.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wow, that's a tough situation for sure. You are right to let him lead you to what he wishes to discuss. I'm sure it will be a tough time. Hang in there with him as he will need some real support. He couldn't ask for a better mentor.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
His mother sent me a text this morning before I picked him up warning me that he was having a bad morning.  When I pulled into his driveway he runs out and jumps in the truck.  I told him with the 14 inches of snow and slush pockets we were in for a massive adventure.  We got to the spot he picked out and set up.  We didn't have to wait to long and the first flag popped.  He made a nice hook set and the look on his face told me it was a nice fish.  He fought the fish like a pro.  We finally got the fish out of the hole and he jumped for joy.   Happiest I've ever been. Almost like we had help from above. 

With all the water we had to go through weboth got wet feet.  Only fished for about an hour but managed 4 pike and a bass.   We are going to try again with his grandma Saturday

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
So awesome!!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Awesome is right!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
...  Happiest I've ever been. Almost like we had help from above. 

Almost?   :confused:   ;)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
 :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

You da man!
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is so great!!!  way to go!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Jerry, let me know if they need a flasher to keep fishing...I got a fl8 with a new battery not doing nuth'in and could be donated....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Jerry, let me know if they need a flasher to keep fishing...I got a fl8 with a new battery not doing nuth'in and could be donated....

He would love it.  We will use it to start chasing crappies..  you are so kind  HD

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a sweet fish. Glad you are there for him DK!!
Hey look your bobber is up!