Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Truck went in, Leech Lake  (Read 1367 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Cass County Sheriff's Office

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: Friday January 6, 2023

LEECH LAKE – VEHICLE THROUGH ICE – NO INJURIES REPORTED

Cass County Sheriff Bryan Welk reports that on Friday, January 6th 2023 at 10:11 AM, the Cass County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a vehicle through the ice on Leech Lake near Horseshoe Bay Resort. Deputies responded and learned that a 2007 Dodge Ram Pickup with snowplow was operating on a plowed roadway on the lake when a large crack formed, and the vehicle went through the ice. The driver of the vehicle, a male, age 19 of Buffalo MN, was able to escape the vehicle without injury. Ice conditions in the area varied. The road was re-routed and anglers in the area were notified.

Sheriff Bryan Welk encourages you to follow these safety tips when travelling on the ice:
• No ice should ever be considered safe.
• Check existing ice conditions as you travel.
• Check with local bait shops, resorts, gas stations, and/or other fisherman for conditions.
• Consider other means of transportation besides a motor vehicle.  (ATV, snowmobile or foot travel are good choices)
• Do not travel on the lake after dark.
• Always notify someone of the area you are traveling in and your expected return time.
• Carry a cell phone.
• Be familiar with the lake - carry a map.
• If you need emergency assistance, call 911.
• Consider a GPS unit to help you on and off the lake.
• Avoid the use of alcohol.
• Pay attention to warning signs that are posted. Remember warning signs cannot be posted everywhere.
• When available, access the lake through a resort or public access and travel only on plowed roads.

Sheriff Welk advises to use good common sense and check conditions when planning to travel on the ice to ensure a safe and successful adventure!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bummer.  Sure glad I don't have to deal with that.  Lot's of good youtubes on pulling trucks out that I have been watching. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
personally i think people are nutz driving on lakes right now!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Depends on where you are at. More ice up here. Resorts are out 13 miles past pine island now.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ice sure does vary. Look at that honeycombed ice we were driving on Winnie a couple years ago Glenn in March, I didn't like that.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Ice sure does vary. Look at that honeycombed ice we were driving on Winnie a couple years ago Glenn in March, I didn't like that.
yea but that was over 2 ft thick yet......and the lower ice was still good clear ice!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!