Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 37252 times)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No asparagus poking through yet.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i scraped away some of the leaves i cover my wifes flowers with.......was kinda surprised to see little shoots on the day lilies......i'd like to give them a drink of roundup......i hate them things.......almost as much as Roony likes wrens!!!!!!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The winter onions look to be thriving. Thanks Glenn!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The winter onions look to be thriving. Thanks Glenn!
:happy1: :happy1: i raked all the leaves off mine yesterday!!!!!!!! looking good!!! :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
BTW, they're baaaaaack!!!!!!!!
Fried this one yesterday.
« Last Edit: April 04/14/23, 08:02:07 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Better get some chickens Dotch,  :happy1: :rotflmao: rumor had it chickens eat a lot of ticks

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'd rather have guineas. Reputedly also good on ticks. And as loud as they are, they'd annoy the snot out of the wife! The way she's  behaved tonite I wouldn't mind a flock of several dozen. :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
She chased you around for a while huh!; :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our Vet just sent us the Bravecto.  I better give it to the dogs today.  They even say ticks can be around when there is still snow on the ground. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We had guinea's for a while, but they never stayed home.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That would be a little the problem here HD along with the volume & high speed of the traffic on our blacktop. Otherwise I'd have guineas. I kinda enjoy the racket they make. And they're excellent watchdogs.  :happy1: The outfit where we got our Corgi in MO had about 30 Corgi's with the same number of peacocks and guineas. Several hundred sheep and cattle. Talk about a zoo... :doah:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, that was their demise....getting smoked by a car or truck.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
We had guinea's for a while, but they never stayed home.

At my Son's house the neighbor down the road has guinea's that never stay home.   At approx 0800 each day they come to his yard and pick bugs and what not.   At 4:00 like clock work they head back home.  They have been doing this for about 3 years.  Works out great.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I started my pickles and Glenn's dill inside this year. We'll see if I have better luck.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The spring perennials have been fun to watch as they bloom. The daffodils opened up so I cut them. Brought them inside where we can enjoy them before the windy weather wrecks them.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine has been delayed.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Started Romaine, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kohlrabi, Bell Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers and 10 varieties of tomatoes on April 1. Have transplanted the red and green Romaine and Cabbage already.

Not sure why this is upside down. Click on the photo and it will be right side up.
« Last Edit: April 04/16/23, 12:30:02 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man Ken that is a lot of stuff to be planting.  How big is your garden?

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty big. But the pic is deceiving. 10 containers of tomatoes looks like a lot. But I will be keeping only 2 out of each container and transplanting them into individual containers and burying them up to the top 2 leaves.

But I do plant 20 thirty  foot rows of corn. The grandkids sell it to the neighbors. I also grow a lot of melons. Watermelons, Cantalope, Santa Claus melons, and Galia type honeydews.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My peach tree arrived from Gurneys today via fed x....It is a bare root tree, so I put it in a bucket that's drained with potting soil till the ground thaws.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tried a peach tree here when a friend got 3 and gave me one. Can't remember the variety but they were supposed to be Zone 4 hardy. We joked that we needed to buy trucks, baskets and crates because we were going to corner the market on fresh peaches. My tree made it thru 2 winters before it checked out. I think both of his died too. Tried to put them in protected spots and covered them in the winter. Rumor has it there are some peach trees in town in Mayberry (Waseca) where they are well sheltered. Good luck HD. Hope it works for you! :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We've got quite a bit of volunteer leaf lettuce coming. I'm glad something likes this cold, damp weather. I also noticed some of the kale overwintered. I'm sure it liked all the snow on top of it. Last time it survived winter it went to seed very soon so we will harvest some leaves off it while we can.
The rhubarb and winter onions look decent. No asparagus has emerged yet, just as well with the cold nights we have coming.
« Last Edit: April 04/20/23, 10:48:50 AM by roony »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Just transplanted 10 varieties of Tomatoes and Bells and Jalapenos.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I noticed a few sprigs of asparagus poking out of the ground. There is hope!  :hubba: :hubba:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Beware of pranksters lurking in the area, known to plant fake asparagus in the spring to fool unsuspecting asparagus lovers... :whistling:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Bought 2 bundles of Candy Onion plants today. Will go in the ground next week. They NEED to go in as soon as possible to get them as big as possible before they start bulbing in July. The bigger the top then, the bigger the bulbs.

Also bought a dozen each of Norland, Viking, Norkota Russet and Dakota Pearl seed potatoes.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I still have some red onions from last year in nylon stockings hanging in the basement.  They are still great.  They are pretty strong ones this year.  I need something more mild.  I heard they don't last as long.  Any advice.  Need a milder radish too. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I use most of my onions raw. I have always gone by this.....

If they make you cry when you peal them......they are to strong to eat raw. That is most onion sets. So I use Candy Plants that come in a bundle. I still have a dozen or so in my fridge from last year. They are mild, keep well and are not hot.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great info Ken.  I will remember that. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
this garden talk reminds me i need to get ahold of the G-man!!!!!!! mayhaps take a trip to the greenhouse....already got my list!!!! :happy1: