Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 37977 times)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy Birthday Dotch. 

Ordered strawberry plants today and a bunch of seeds.   Will get them started when they get here.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :snow3: :kingscourt: :happybday: :happybday: ya old codger!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Rhubarb poking out here! There is hope.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Rhubarb poking out here! There is hope.
:surrender: :pouty: still got 3 ft of snow over mine!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Clean livin' glenn. That's great news roony. Hopefully the forecast is on the money with pie, sauce and wrens in your future soon.  :happy1: Was just home for a bit to let Poppy out. Still brisk out there. One of the hyacinths that had been froze hard was poking new growth up thru the decaying tissue. As mushy as it looked earlier I wasn't betting on it being alive. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Thinking I will cut off the old asparagus ferns tomorrow. Of course I have to work on the weekend.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh that is what we are supposed to do with the asparagus.  Mine are under the snow but I will do that when I can see them.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Got er done. Haven't detected any frost in the garden. Still some in the woods.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thinking I will cut off the old asparagus ferns tomorrow. Of course I have to work on the weekend.
did that last fall!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got the pear trees pruned & 3 more of the crabapple trees done last nite. A little to do on a few more crabs & I should be done. Trying to get a few more pussy willows started in spots around the farm. Most of the slips are from the nicest one. The wife told me the stems I'm supplying are way better than anything the wholesalers are peddling. They're selling them for a buck a stem for the longer ones used for casket sprays & 50 cents for the shorter ones. Mine will only cost a bottle of Boodles or two for several hundred stems!
« Last Edit: April 04/10/23, 10:10:12 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman

Thought you were suppossed to leave it until spring to help the plants through the winter.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Thought you were suppossed to leave it until spring to help the plants through the winter.
:scratch: :scratch: not sure but they were dried up. i know your supposed to leave them grow through the summer. i just did that to the few i still have here at home......my big patch out by a friends will probably still have all the stems. mine still come back every year. :scratch: :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Must be due to all that sheep poop I mail you... :cool:

Another sure sign of spring at the ranch. Don't blink or you can miss these little guys.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

:scratch: :scratch: not sure but they were dried up. i know your supposed to leave them grow through the summer. i just did that to the few i still have here at home......my big patch out by a friends will probably still have all the stems. mine still come back every year. :scratch: :scratch:

Dunno, but G burns his off every spring
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I always leave ferns standing over winter. Catches more snow cover which protects the roots. Cut off in spring.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea thinking the garden is gonna be a while yet  :confused:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
How could that be Glenn? All winter you were crying that the snow missed ya so where did all this come from then? Did Dotch mail it to you?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How could that be Glenn? All winter you were crying that the snow missed ya so where did all this come from then? Did Dotch mail it to you?
:pouty: :pouty: you'd be surprised the mail i get from hooterville!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk:

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman

That is what i do as well.   The minute they are dry enough to burn if new ones are not coming up yet. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother sent me this.  :happy1: some are mine!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

That is what i do as well.   The minute they are dry enough to burn if new ones are not coming up yet.

My Dad used to do that. One year he must not have been quite timely enough. Some of the asparagus was up and it got pre-cooked. The spears that came later were fine.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :cool:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:cool:

trained tree rat too!!!!
Mike...that tree rat is just waiting till Dotch turns his back........then that sucker will be toast!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Those are my tree rat decoys!

Had more of those mini-daffodils/jonquils open up this a.m. Rhubarb starting to have real leaves on it. Finished pruning my client's last 3 trees yesterday then polished off the SnoSweet & Honeycrisp at the ranch. Was ticked at the deer tho. Had bunnies get up high enough on the Haralson to eat a lot of the buds from on top of the snowbank. The bottom Honeycrisp limbs were up higher. When I looked the other day, I was impressed with all the buds down low where the apples are easiest to pick. Last night I looked again when I started pruning it and the effing deer had chewed most of them off! :mad1: Can still tweak with a few crabapples out back but only if there's time. They could use a good pruning other than what the bunnies do.  :angry:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: shees Dotch.............what do you do in your spare time??? :scratch: :scratch: :evil: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: shees Dotch.............what do you do in your spare time??? :scratch: :scratch: :evil: :rotflmao:

Shoot at deer and rabbits out the window!  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Amazing how fast the heat pushes things along. See what appear to be hyacinths opening up. Kinda hard to tell as it's tough to smell them with it as breezy as it is. When they're in the house in a planter they really smell, almost to the point of being overbearing. The pussy willow harvest season got over in a hurry. Some of the bushes I'd harvested from first were completely blossomed out and green last night. The blossoms were also covered with large bee-like flies, which is how they're pollinated. What are apparently the female bushes still had some catkins on them but they too were starting to get a tinge of green to them which the decorating ladies aren't as fond of. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
my chives are poking up too!!!