Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: incoming weather  (Read 115187 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
20% chance here today. Looks like it's raining to our south in IA, mainly east of I-35 and south of US 20. 

The heat & lack of rain has taken its toll on the corn crop. Looking at it yesterday, the ears have aborted kernels 1/2" - 2" from the tip depending on where you are in the field, plant population, rainfall, etc. Less damage done to the soybeans so far. A lot still flowering yet. The good news is the maturity is marching right along. Saw some kernels starting to dent in some fields so figuring about a month until maturity.  Likewise with the beans where on the upper 4 nodes of the plant, they were exhibiting beans that were filling the seed cavity on the pods. That means R6 and about a month until maturity. The replant corn is scary. Much of that has just pollinated a week or so ago. That means about two months to maturity. Ditto with late and replant beans. A lot of flat pods and flowering still going on. If it decides to freeze say Sept. 12th, there will be a lot of long faces. No surprises, just a boots on the ground confirmation.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: you seem to have had way more rain then us further up in rock and cow country but the sweet corn i got from the people just down the road from me looked pretty darn good.......and tasted good. unless they watered it???? not sure whereabouts there getting it from though??

it was one of those in the back of the truck, pay in a box in the window jobs!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Recently, we probably have received more rain. However, we were way off the pace for both June & July. Normal for June at the SROC by roony's is 5.38". In Bugtussle we got 2.19". For July normal rainfall is 4.93" with only 1.6" falling for the entire month on Bugtusslians. The double-edged sword was May when 9.21" fell here, most of that from the 5th - 14th. It messed up a lot of crop, causing uneven emergence and a lot of replanting. The positive was it fell in May and not in June. Otherwise it likely would've meant more nitrogen loss and shallower root systems on the corn in particular. Have not heard from the guy I know who works for Birdseye what sweet corn yields are doing so far. Usually that reflects on what to expect for corn yields.

The sweet corn I had here was good but the heat pushed it pretty hard. Decent flavor but for some it would've been too hard. In your area I'd suspect there'd be a fair amount of it that has some irrigation potential. For sake of consideration, if you harvest 15,000 ears per acre, that's 1250 dozen. At the going rate here of $6/dozen that's $7500/acre gross. Would certainly make it worth the water & effort.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The sweetcorn I've had seems to be filled out nicely. Most of this corn is from a friend's field just about 2 miles from me as the crow flies. Also had some from north of Waseca, that didn't look quite as nice.
Sorry to hear the rain was too late for a lot of the field corn.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
After watering the garden again tonight I have made an executive decision if I don't get a decent rain in the near future and for what I see on my cuke plants I'm pulling them out. I've had my  fill almost of green peppers so they might get pulled to  :confused: :pouty:
I usually wait till the growing season is over. One year I got more tomatoes in October than I did before October.
But go ahead and kill em all if you want.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
After watering the garden again tonight I have made an executive decision if I don't get a decent rain in the near future and for what I see on my cuke plants I'm pulling them out. I've had my  fill almost of green peppers so they might get pulled to  :confused: :pouty:
I usually wait till the growing season is over. One year I got more tomatoes in October than I did before October.
But go ahead and kill em all if you want.
I will.  :happy1: :rotflmao: never said anything about pulling tomatoes either.  :confused: :doah:

I just cleaned garlic and onions for salsa. Dug a hole to bury the junk and tomato skins etc tomorrow.its a good 10 inches deep and the ground is powder dry.

I water in the evening, every evening. I pulled some carrots and kalahrabi to eat, doesn't even look like I watered.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The tomatoes were just an example. The weatherman says rain is just around the corner for you. I keep forgetting that your soil up there doesn't hang on to the moisture.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The tomatoes were just an example. The weatherman says rain is just around the corner for you. I keep forgetting that your soil up there doesn't hang on to the moisture.
:happy1: its not sandy soil by no means......but we really havent had much rain all spring -summer.  :confused:

i must have 25 5 gallon pails i set out to catch rain water when it does rain. i use that to water my cukes, peppers and tomatoes. and sometimes my wifes flowers, if i have a bunch. right now i'm down to 5 pails!!!!! that will be gone in 2 days if it doesnt rain!!!!!! the rest i use a hose!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We had a quick rainfall here a little bit ago,  perfect timing cuz I was gonna give the garden a bath also. You sure your not jumping the gun on yanking stuff Glenn? My peppers,  cukes, beans, zookini and maters are still flowering,  I won't yank anything for a spell. As much as I wanna yank the zookini I'll start putting it down at the curb with a free sign on it..lol.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe, but I have 2 hills of cukes, one ain't looking healthy.  :confused: I'm still arguing with myself over this. :doah: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yet another passing shower... :coffee:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Got a little here, not much. Haven't checked the gauge. Hope it didn't wash all the Roundup off.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 .01" here. Are you following glenn's lead & killing off your garden?  :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so...you fellers up on the border.............are you paying any attention to the weekend weather????

my single neighbor ladies kid is coming up your way to fish this weekend. said headed up tomorrow night. he told me the weather is going to suck, wind and rain.  there tenting it and fishing where the river meets the lake at some campground near there!!!!!!!

his boat isnt exactly built for the big lake if its windy so theyd fish the river!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Although I usually follow Glenn's lead in this silly little thing we call life, NO I am not killing off our garden. I've been giving lots of cukes away. A friend in Janesville has made 19 quarts of dill pickles with some of our overflow. I got beets from someone at work so I'm going to pay her back in jalepenos. My pepper patch is doing swell so I'll be ready for Pepperpslooza! Tomatoes are putting out some tasty heirlooms.
Glenn is always in a hurry to get things planted but he just doesn't have that staying power. That's what she said.
« Last Edit: August 08/09/23, 07:58:11 PM by roony »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Although I usually follow Glenn's lead in this silly little thing we call life, NO I am not killing off our garden. I've been giving lots of cukes away. A friend in Janesville has made 19 quarts of dill pickles with some of our overflow. I got beets from someone at work so I'm going to pay her back in jalepenos. My pepper patch is doing swell so I'll be ready for Pepperpslooza! Tomatoes are putting out some tasty heirlooms.
Glenn is always in a hurry to get things planted but he just doesn't have that staying power. That's what she said.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: when the plants are dying and no longer producing it's time to move on  :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
so...you fellers up on the border.............are you paying any attention to the weekend weather????

my single neighbor ladies kid is coming up your way to fish this weekend. said headed up tomorrow night. he told me the weather is going to suck, wind and rain.  there tenting it and fishing where the river meets the lake at some campground near there!!!!!!!

his boat isnt exactly built for the big lake if its windy so theyd fish the river!!!!
I have been paying attention cause we have friends coming up fishing this weekend. I don't start putting any faith into the forecast until at least Thursday though.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a measly tenth of an inch here yesterday.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
11 mph is the important number up here.  If the wind is going to be stronger than 11 mph you better not be on the lake with a 16' or under boat.  The river will be better but can also get pretty rough with a N or NW winds.  I hope they have a great time. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just a measly tenth of an inch here yesterday.

See? As a result of climate change, roony got 10 times more rain than I did... :pouty:

Looks like some rain heading down the MN River valley but as it gets closer, appears to be dissipating.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Was out cleaning up apples under the trees. Started sprinkling a little.
I'm on record saying "Once it starts raining again it won't want to quit". We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 08/10/23, 09:50:42 AM by roony »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh my..... We might even actually get some rain tonight!!! :dancinred: :dancinred: :blues brothers: :rocker; :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
.7" here. Lots of booming.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
got about .4 here!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A nice rain starting a little after 5 yday & it didn't move out 'til around 3. Looks like there's ~ .6" in our gauges.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
3/4" and still raining here.  Glad the wife cut my hair yesterday so won't get my hair wet. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We had a few sprinkles yet around 6 this AM too.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure how much we got yet......looks like at least 1/2 maybe more. i'll look later!

good news fellers...............i wont be killing any garden stuff for a while!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :happy1: :rotflmao: cept maybe some kalarabi and carrots........i'm out in the fridge for snackin!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure how much we got yet......looks like at least 1/2 maybe more. i'll look later!

good news fellers...............i wont be killing any garden stuff for a while!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :happy1: :rotflmao: cept maybe some kalarabi and carrots........i'm out in the fridge for snackin!!!!!!
I can sleep at night again now!