Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Old books.  (Read 2880 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Got in the mood to do a little cleaning and organizing. I sure hope it's not a permanent affliction.
      Anyway, I have old reference and text books from back when I was going to trade school. Pretty much outdated material and information. Nobody wants them because of that. I'm never going to use them again. I have some old NEC code books, too.
      Anybody ever had to get rid of books? Burn them. Dumpster? Targets?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I mail them to glenn... :coffee:

Seriously, I have a bunch of textbooks that I've never referred to in over 40 years so thinking they will go in the dumpster/rolloff when I get the urge to toss them. Another thought might be the portable shredders like those that come to town here periodically. I know they'll shred file folders & such but not sure about books. As a matter of fact, the bank here is collecting stuff until the end of the month so I should inquire.  :scratch:
« Last Edit: November 11/21/23, 05:35:32 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Some have historical value, but you'd have to contact a representative from a museum or society in your area. I personally went through several old tech books, and the college wanted a few for reference..... the rest I pitched.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got a bunch too. I wonder how they'd burn in the woodstove.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Some have historical value, but you'd have to contact a representative from a museum or society in your area. I personally went through several old tech books, and the college wanted a few for reference..... the rest I pitched.

I've kept some of the agronomy & soils textbooks as the basic info they contain is relevant. Chemistry, college algebra, physics, stats, etc. can all go bye-bye. Every once in a while someone gives me books such as the USDA Agricultural Yearbooks. Those babies are treasure troves of fascinating data from way back. Somehow I wound up with one from 1897, the same year inscribed on the wall of my old granary & signed by the guy who homesteaded the place on the abstract. There's definite column material there to connect the dots. I'd like to see that they'll be donated once I'm done with them.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a problem throwing books away too.  When I was about 5th grade a buddy and I were at the Public Library which was always fun and they were loading boxes of books on a truck and were taking them to the dump.  Books that over lived there stay.  I piled up a few boxes and made multiple trips with my bike.   They were so old and kind of interesting to read.  I sold them for 10 cents and sold them all.  They let me do it for 2 years and then wouldn't let take them anymore.  ?????   BUT  yes books are special even though I use my Kindle daily. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I just burned a bunch of old Harlequin romance books my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law read years ago. Nobody wanted them either.
      I don't mind hanging on to old magazines, for some reason. I have piles of old outdoors magazines. Fur-Fish-Game, Field &Stream and others. They're fun to go through and reread old articles.
      The old text books just take up space.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Not text books, but I have some books that were handed down to me from older cousins. I’m the last of that generation. They probably have some value in an antique store, but I like having them and looking back at their content.

Hard cover books are recyclable, but only in truckload quantities. Unlikely that the shredding events will take them in smaller lots.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
      I just burned a bunch of old Harlequin romance books my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law read years ago. Nobody wanted them either.
      I don't mind hanging on to old magazines, for some reason. I have piles of old outdoors magazines. Fur-Fish-Game, Field &Stream and others. They're fun to go through and reread old articles.
      The old text books just take up space.
I have one old text book that I never look at and should probably go away. I’ve got some old outdoors books like Fur-Fish-Game, Outdoor Life, and True. Also have an old Mad Magazine and an old Farm Journal, and a few years of the Minnesota Volunteer.  Many of these I looked at as a kid, and I enjoy looking back at them. There are a few I remember that I wish I had today. Can’t remember most of their names, but The Farmer was one of them.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Old books handed down should be saved. I just wish I enjoyed reading. I do not. I do enjoy technical and service manuals, though. I recently found a service manual from 1968 (I think) for Kohler engines. Fascinating.
       I have old Chilton's and Motors books I'll hang on to.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If you got some old history books, it might be fun to hang on to them and compare them to all the ones that are getting rewritten.