Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 47206 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a lot of purslane in our garden too this year.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got Auntie Mar Mar & Unkie Gregory taken care of. Loaded them up with a couple 6 quart pails of string beans, numerous ears of sweet corn, a grocery bag full of maters, a few cukes and a couple zucchini. They said because of the crappy, wet summer they were having a hard time finding enough tomatoes to make juice, spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc. at the local farmer's markets. Some places were selling them for $2 - $3 apiece for the larger ones. :doah: I could buy another transport of Sapphire with the number of tomatoes on the vines here.  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
if anyone needs or wants winter onion sets/seeds let me know. i got way more then i want. let me know i'll gladly send ya some!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked 5 gallons of pears. Unfortunately we were too late on a lot of them. The hot weather sure made them too soft in a hurry. Oh well, we have plenty of good ones. The warden is making a pear crisp for tonight.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Boar sent me a picture of his "tomato" plants....  :scratch:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my garden is going to be short some stuff by days end. pulling the radishes..this will be the 3rd picking.....iffin it aint a edible radish by now they wont be.

also the green beans are going to get picked and pulled......i got enough for the winter now!!!!!
also......my garage frig that i use for garden stuff is going to get unplugged today!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Quitter!  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well....... :pouty: started out the year with 21 mater plants. i'm down to 7!!!! one thing in common with all the plants i pulled, they didnt have anything for roots!!!!!

i pulled the cukes also........same thing.  :pouty: surprised they did as well as they did!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Hoping that I will see a lot of tomatoes ripen this week. I picked a few cukes this morning but they are about done. The zucchini were slow to start but they are doing really well now. We will get enough pumpkins and gourds. One of my favorite things to grow is an assortment of peppers
 They are a huge disappointment this year. A lot of plants don't have a single pepper on them. I have some frozen from last year to use for salsa.Life goes on. It seems that fruit trees liked our climate this year.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got bumper crops of  🍅, 🥒, 🌶️, 🥕, 🫘, 🧅, 🫛 and radishes.
Got crap for 🍑, 🍎, 🍒 the only one that did well was the 🍐 trees.

I'm going to start thinning stuff out today, cause I gotta shift my priorities to hunting season.
« Last Edit: September 09/08/24, 05:03:15 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still crankin' down here between string beans, tomatoes, sweet corn, zucchini & cucumbers. Getting rid of a couple plastic grocery bags full of string beans this a.m. Got a couple more I plan on freezing & there are still some to pick if I get a wild hair. Noticed a week ago that there were a few cigar-shaped northern corn leaf blight lesions starting to show up in the sweet corn patch. Had to laugh last nite when I was scrounging around out there for some ears. It was all over the leaves on every plant. Wouldn't be surprised in another week if it torches it. Disease resistance is usually not sweet corn's strong suit & this Round Up Ready hybrid apparently is no exception. Some of the snap peas are flowering. They might have a fighting chance if Poppy doesn't eat the pods before I do.   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What's the best way to kill these moles/voles.... every fall, they chew up my yard with their trails just under the sod. I've tried those nail driving traps, but they don't seem to be getting the job done.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Once I got lucky and saw the earth move. Nailed him.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I got the same problem going on right now.  Two nights ago I had both traps go off, but zero confirmed kills.  Last night the traps were untouched.  I think the dirty buggers are organized.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Hoping our melons will ripen
 This warm spell should help

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow that is a big melon.   :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
or a small coffee can
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, not pulling a Glenn.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow that is a big melon.   :happy1:
or a small coffee can
Or both.  Can you still find a 3lb can of coffee anywhere?  :scratch: :confused:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
True that. I was just looking for something to give you an idea of the size.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I like big melons.  I just felt I had to say that.   :laugh:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The warden and I picked over 10 5 gallon pails of Honeycrisp apples this morning. They are dn near perfect this year.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey roony what do guys all make with your apples?? 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We make apple juice. We dehydrate some, Merrilee makes stuff and we give a lot away. She freezes some to bake with in the winter.
We've had more apples and pears this year then we've ever had.
The most and best ever in the history of the world.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :surrender:
« Last Edit: September 09/13/24, 03:51:36 PM by roony »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I got some home made apple juice from the guy who got a load of apples from, darn good stuff!!!   tastes like apple sauce!!! 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds good. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
When I came in for lunch my brother had a small pail full of tomatoes that he'd picked yday :happy1:, he said he was going to wait & can them today. Well, he changed his mind & decided to do them yday on his Weber gas grill. I think he ended up with 11 pints & I believe he'll be able to do that again :cool:...........probably at least couple more times, if he wants. We might need to find some more jars though.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:47:22 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
What's the best way to kill these moles/voles.... every fall, they chew up my yard with their trails just under the sod. I've tried those nail driving traps, but they don't seem to be getting the job done.

Here's a couple releases from Extension on mole trapping. I've got a couple different kinds of traps. I've found the loop trap to be completely worthless and the other is the harpoon type trap they talk about on the fact sheet. I've had varying degrees of success with it. Apparently when I've had success it's likely been sheer luck. There is another type of trap, sort of a scissors-type looking affair my brother swears by. It's the kind of trap I don't have so can't say personally how they work.

https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/how-trap-moles

https://conservancy.umn.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/fd1be1b0-eeba-4928-8e13-f208c48a4eeb/content

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My old neighbor in Stillwater would stand for a long time with a shovel and wait for a mole to poke his head out of the hole and stab them with the shovel.   He did get a few too.