Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 47313 times)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Question for Dotch the bug man: Have you ever released lady bugs or other beneficial insects in your garden to reduce the number of aphids and other foes.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Yes Blossom End Rot. Lack of Calcium. Plant decides to get rid of the thing it doesn't need to survive. That's the fruit. Same thing happens to peppers. Usually more often to plants in pots. I have peppers in pots and i have been getting it on them.

You need to put mulch around them. I use straw around them in the garden and grass clippings in pots. Inconsistent watering.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My Luscious pear tree is really overloaded

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
pears are awesome!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Are they like a pear that we are used to from grocery stores?

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Smaller, sweeter and better.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so wadda gonna do with all them???????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so wadda gonna do with all them???????

he can send me some!!!    :happy1: :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
They aren't quite ready to pick. With pears you pick them before they are dead ripe and you let them ripen inside. I will try to find homes for all I can.
I found a couple that were close and I munched on them while I was mowing. Very tasty.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
we are about done with our box of peaches.......but pears will be here shortly!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I lost a branch on one of our 🍐 trees cause it was overloaded. I should have taken some off to reduce the weight 😕
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Onions did terrible this year. I don't know if it was too much moisture or too little something but the crop was terrible. Planted about 500, we got maybe 100 good, mostly small onions. Most were mushy and smelled bad.
      Seemed like the white onions fared slightly better than the purple ones. We seldom watered them things, just the rain.
      Any ideas what went wrong?
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We stopped at a veggie stand in GR for some early sweet corn last year & asked the guy about the Blossom End Rot. He was pretty busy, so he didn't really have time to talk but he did say he'd try watering them more, if it was his. So, we did & it did seem to help. :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I lost a branch on one of our 🍐 trees cause it was overloaded. I should have taken some off to reduce the weight 😕
Yes, I should have removed over half of the pears. This morning I'm going to support some of the branches with boards.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
now.........my onions were the best i've had in 5 years!!!!!!! i did buy the sets from a different :scratch: place????? normally mine are like yours TT small.........

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This was my first time trying to grow onions 🧅.

I'm thinking they aren't very big for the effort?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Look fine to me. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Leech,  just thought of something for your mater issue. It may have been mentioned but your ground may be lacking calcium.

The last 3  years I buy a bottle of  generic antacid pills. I put 2 in the hole, cover with dirt then plant maters. It really seemed to help me. :happy1:
« Last Edit: August 08/25/24, 12:37:26 PM by glenn57 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked green beans this morning.  There laying o on top of an 8 cu ft freezer. And the size of some of the carrots.  :happy1:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Look good to me, HD. Hopefully we'll have better luck next year.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Leech,  just thought of something for your mater issue. It may have been mentioned but your ground may be lacking calcium.

The last 3  years I buy a bottle of  generic antacid pills. I put 2 in the hole, cover with dirt then plant maters. It really seemed to help me. :happy1:
Lol, done deal.  Exactly what I read and did.  Only one plant out of 5 is having the issue but I gave them all a little tab!  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I found these in the pantry, can I just stuff these in the dirt?  :confused:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
From what I have read it is not a lack of calcium in the soil that is the problem but it is the uneven watering that affects the plant's ability to utilize it. This is where mulch acts as kind of a dampener to even out the extremes.
« Last Edit: August 08/26/24, 04:09:03 PM by roony »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I found these in the pantry, can I just stuff these in the dirt?  :confused:
i see no reason why not HD!!!!!

never read that part Roony int he things i've read..........not saying your wrong though!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
roony is never wrong. At least that's what he tries to make the warden think!  :rotflmao: He is correct about blossom end rot. Especially when soils dry out, taking up calcium becomes a problem for shallower rooted plants including tomatoes. It's bound on the clay particles too tightly for the roots to be able to absorb enough.

https://extension.umn.edu/news/blossom-end-rot-tomatoes-and-other-vegetable-crops

https://extension.umn.edu/plant-diseases/tomato-disorders#how-to-control-blossom-end-rot-3103312
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So... did it ever get dry enough this year for leech to have that issue??

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'd say the answer is yes. I've even had a few blossom end rot tomatoes here. Keep in mind my garden is on a south facing slope so even though it has been wet, it's more prone to drying out quickly once the rains stop. Parts of it too are prone to sidehill seepage when we get extreme wetness so mulching can be a double edge sword. Too frequently here it also provides habitat for lovely pests such as slugs and earwigs. That said, I may start experimenting next year with wool for mulch where it may fit. It's cheaper than straw, contains no pesticides, it's biodegradable, and I have lots of it. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so what do you do with all the wool?? 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sells it and makes millions!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: them tankers of boodles aint cheap ya know!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sells it and makes millions!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: them tankers of boodles aint cheap ya know!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

no wonder I can't afford a wool sweater!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: