Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2016 GMC 2500  (Read 9698 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Two summers ago one of my friends whose son guides on the lake was up at the NW Angle and his client had a Toy truck.  They couldn't get the Ranger boat out of the water so my friend drove up with his Ram 2500 to get them back on dry land. The ramp was too steep for that Toyota.

Did they lose traction or just not know how to engage 4 low?  Can’t be as bad though as when we were out on Red lake that time and I had to have Boar hook up his chevy to help me get that hog of a fish house off the spot.
well we know that fishhouse didnt have fish in it to weigh it down!!!!! :evil: :rotflmao: maybe bring less beer too!!!!!!! :scratch: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Two summers ago one of my friends whose son guides on the lake was up at the NW Angle and his client had a Toy truck.  They couldn't get the Ranger boat out of the water so my friend drove up with his Ram 2500 to get them back on dry land. The ramp was too steep for that Toyota.

Did they lose traction or just not know how to engage 4 low?  Can’t be as bad though as when we were out on Red lake that time and I had to have Boar hook up his chevy to help me get that hog of a fish house off the spot.
well we know that fishhouse didnt have fish in it to weigh it down!!!!! :evil: :rotflmao: maybe bring less beer too!!!!!!! :scratch: :rotflmao:

Less beer?  Those are fighting words. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Oh yea! My chevy pulled his ford an32 ft castle , thru 3 ft of snow to land
, that was fun
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Years ago were we on Red and a buddy got his Dodge stuck in the middle of a 3 foot snow drift with a foot of water underneath. He hit it fast. So we had 2 truck hooked up to it to pull it out. Of course the Ford was in the middle. So when we were pulling it out it looked like my Chebby was pulling both the Ford and Dodge out.  :happy1:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
General,

these newer GM trucks all have parcial aluminum skin.hood,rocker panel and tailgate even tho the entire body is double sided galvinized sheet metal to help pro long rusting.seems the weak area's prone to rust on older GM trucks are the wheel wells (rear) and tailgate.

today GM installed wheel well liners to help address the rusting which occures on the inside wheel well lip,area holds snow/road salt,exterior paint factory clear coat keeps surface rust at bay unlike the old 1980's era trucks that had major rust body cancer after two winters of road salt here in minn.

Further,,down side to aluminum body parts is the expense to repair/rather replace...ins preiums ^^ door dings hail etc unlike sheet metal that has memory and can be PDR'd fixed,aluminum needs said sheet metal replaced,buddy had some hood hail dings,normally a $50 bill to PDR (paintless dent repair) he showed me his insurance claim for body shop replacing hood skin and paint,$4500!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
1980’s?  My 08 gmc had surface rust on the wheel wells by 30,000 miles.  Had them repaired and by the time I sold it with 70,000 miles the rust had returned and the inside of the doors were rusting.  Hey Boar any pictures of you current Chevy? Any rust issues?
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yeah thers cancer o. Bith rear wells bad, wasnt ther wen i boutght 5 yrsago,  sucks, the plugs are in either.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
My 2007 Silverado started rusting on the rocker panels or whatever you call it below the doors in 2009. Fortunately they repainted it under warranty. It is now my beater trunk, but the panels are long gone.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah our state winters take a toll on our sheet metal vehicles even tho GM trucks are galvinized double sided sheet metal with a 5yr 100k rst warrenty on the body,they're not rust bullet proof tho ,I'm a firm believer in under coating and rust proofing,my little honda grocery getter I bought new in 2004 for my parents I had rust proofed,under coated,paint sealed and  today with 200k on it,zero rust ,unherd of for rice burners,they always start rusting after one minn winter,helps to wash the road salt off couple times/month,I also found a paint sealer one can purchase online called "ceramic paint sealer" sure helps the paint from oxidizing and rain just beads up/runs off no spots
« Last Edit: March 03/17/22, 06:59:27 AM by snow1 »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That is crazy. My 2005 had no rust on it when I sold it 2 years ago and when my friend drove it up in January it still looked the same. I was pretty religious about spraying those areas out with water every time I gave it a bath. I remember my sister in law one time making a snarky comment about me washing the underneath of the truck. There is a reason.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
My 2007 Silverado started rusting on the rocker panels or whatever you call it below the doors in 2009. Fortunately they repainted it under warranty. It is now my beater trunk, but the panels are long gone.

yeah coop,kinda common on our minnesota vehicles,GM has always had issues on driver  lower doors rusting,body shop tells me most folks getting in driver side during winter months kick the snow and grit off on the rocker getting in driver side door,Gm's car/truck doors are spot welded on the lower lip catching alot of this moisture,rust begins.

Tailgates is another rust hotspot...on older GM trucks take a look at the tailgate handle,it's wide open all the winter salty road spray swirls in that opening resulting in corrosion and rusted out tailgate handle and parts.Good way to pre empt this is W-40 thru out the winter months along with pressure washing,like the inside of the wheel wells.
« Last Edit: March 03/17/22, 07:10:30 AM by snow1 »

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
My tailgate is not rusting, or the rest of the truck for that matter, just those rocker panel. The truck has 160000 miles on it and has been trouble free mechanically, just front brakes and both front wheel bearings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought a new Dodge in 85 and a new Silverado in 95.  Kept them both for 10 years.  When I traded them neither had rust issues anywhere on them.  I did hand wash them at the shop and always sprayed out inside the wheel wells each time.  Gobs of dirt and salt washed out of those spots.  Now I hit the carwash regularly and I think it is paramount to keeping them in good shape.  Seems counter productive when the roads are salty but gets the old stuff off. 

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I drive on a lot of dirt roads. I don’t think that help.