Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: NFL Stuff  (Read 57595 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
yea guys this isnt the political thread....... :tut: :rotflmao: just cause Erin wants to be VP. :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
deleting.....wrong forum
« Last Edit: March 03/14/24, 12:32:07 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Little protection for the Steelers in case Wilson turns out to be a turd.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A lot of new combinations going on this year. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: All they got was a conditional 6th Rd pick in return which could turn into a 4th Rd pick, if he takes 51% of the snaps this season. However, he is in the final year of his rookie deal & his 5th year option is for $25.6 million. But now they are free to go get the USC guy with their #1 pick in April.  :confused: https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/03/16/chicago-bears-trade-justin-fields/
« Last Edit: March 03/17/24, 06:14:02 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm just glad the Vikes didn't chase Fields as their bridge QB.

And I can't say I'm any more pleased about the Darnold signing, but at the same time, they've been ignoring the QB2 position for years.  Maybe Darnold turns into that if they can draft a new hotshot who is ready to play.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Couldn't agree more on both counts.  I just didn't have any interest in Fields.  I also am curious to see what KOC can do with Darnold.  I may have already have said this but some sports guys were talking about Darnold and said that the worst thing that could have happened was to go to the Jets.  Said the trainers and coaches did nothing to help his QB education.  He came into the league young too.  SO he is only 26 and has a few years of being around.  That may work in his favor too. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: March 03/17/24, 10:56:32 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am sure.  Look what Cousins passing did for him.   Made him a star. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
My personal opinion is there no quarterbacks including Williams in this years draft that will be ready to start this year. Teams that are drafting high all are losing teams who have many holes to fill. Why have your quarterback get gun shy and learn bad habits trying not to get killed the first year? Let them sit, get use to the speed of the game, watch & learn. Losing the year for contract reasons doesn't matter......Fields is proof of that. If the kid isn't ready after 5 years trade him or cut him loose.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Thats why, for all of those reasons and more, finding your starting QB in the first round of the draft has always been a 50-50 proposition.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And 50 -50 is pretty good odds actually.  Remember Stafford his first few years with Detroit?  He got the ever living snot beat out of him.  Every game with us he just got destroyed.  I actually felt bad for him and didn't think he would make it 5 years.  Well he hung in there and deserved to win a Super Bowl.  Not many people will put up with a beating like that but he did.  NOT the way to bring a kid into the NFL.  WE need to be vastly improving our Oline too.  Watched a comparison of McCarthy to Mayes.  McCarthy was much better under pressure.  They graded both and Mayes was a little better when not under pressure.   My vote is for McCarthy cuz there will be pressure.  LOL

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree, db, it is almost always best if the rookie QB can sit for the 1st year. But look what C. J. Stroud did this year & not many thought he would jump right in & start, either. To be fair to Fields, having 2 different head coaches & 2 different offensive coordinators in his 3 seasons with the Bears did little to help him improve as well. The change of scenery may be all he needs, we shall see.
« Last Edit: March 03/17/24, 08:03:37 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I agree, db, it is almost always best if the rookie QB can sit for the 1st year. But look what C. J. Stroud did this year & not many thought he would jump right in & start, either. To be fair to Fields, having 2 different head coaches & 2 different offensive coordinators in his 3 seasons with the Bears did little to help him improve as well. The change of scenery may be all he needs, we shall see.

I agree with Fields. Backing up Wilson will be the best thing to happen to him if he buys in. However, it won't change my opinion of him as a quarterback. I just don't think he is that good. I think he was just surrounded by so much talent at Ohio State. We will see what happens.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Pretty sure it's a 1-year deal for Fields with Tomlin too, as I find it very hard to believe they'll sign him for that $25.6 million option next season. Unless, they both like what they see & he agrees to restructure his deal.  :rolleyes:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I read that 4 other teams showed interest in Fields but he declined to be traded to them.  Haven't disclosed those teams yet.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That might be true, but it sounds more like a rumor leak from an agent trying to make his client appear more valued.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I did find this: Prior to getting traded to the Steelers, a number of teams were reported to have made inquiries about Fields, according to NFL insider Ian Rapoport.
However, Fields did not want to go to any of those teams, and he was only interested in being traded to the Steelers.

There are no official reports at this time about the specific teams that asked about Fields, but there are several teams that are not thrilled with their quarterback situations. Those teams include the New England Patriots, New York Giants and Las Vegas Raiders. Additionally, the Eagles traded for Kenny Pickett shortly after the Steelers signed Russell Wilson, so Philadelphia could have been interested in Fields prior to making that deal.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did hear later that Philly was one that he didn't want to go to.  Was on KFAN.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I didn't realize that underwhelming QBs still on their rookie deal could call their own shots.   :scratch:

But putting my inherent cynicism aside...  I'm just glad Fields will get another opportunity.  In the end you just want to see people succeed - in all the various ways that is measured.  So often a player perceived productivity is a function of his circumstances.  Football is - after all - the ultimate team game.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
NFL owners mulling over new Kick off rules today.....

The kicker would continue to kick from the 35-yard line, but the other 10 players would line up at the receiving team's 40-yard line. At least nine members of the return team would line up in a "setup zone" between the 35- and 30-yard line. Up to two returners can line up in a "landing zone" between the goal line and the 20-yard line. No one other than the kicker and returner(s) can move until the ball hits the ground or a player inside the landing zone. Touchbacks would be marked at the 35-yard line, and no fair catches would be allowed.

In the event a team wants to attempt an onside kick, it would have to inform officials of its intent and would then be allowed to use the NFL's traditional formation. No surprise onside kicks would be allowed.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Also    could be new this coming season.....

Meanwhile, the committee's attempt to eliminate the hip-drop tackles -- a dangerous technique that often results in lower body injuries -- requires officials to note two actions: If a defender "grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms," according to the wording of the proposal and also "unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee."

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The kickoffs have been flat out boring,  what some 95% are usually touchbacks? As far as tackling look at the hit Hock took, was more of a head first chop at the knees.

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Also    could be new this coming season.....

Meanwhile, the committee's attempt to eliminate the hip-drop tackles -- a dangerous technique that often results in lower body injuries -- requires officials to note two actions: If a defender "grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms," according to the wording of the proposal and also "unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee."

Look I'm all for a safer sport, but at what point are we just going to be playing touch football for christs sake!  :mad1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always watched when guys are running and not expecting it and someone does that.  Man that could do a lot of damage.  All of that weight pulling straight down on hips, knees, ankles. Seems to happen on screens before the runner gets momentum. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
The kickoffs have been flat out boring,  what some 95% are usually touchbacks? As far as tackling look at the hit Hock took, was more of a head first chop at the knees.

Kickoff rates were a league-record low of 21.7% in 2023.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
The kickoff proposal would be the most significant on-field rule change for the NFL in years and is designed to reverse more than a decade of declining return rates while also lowering concussion rates. In essence, the committee's proposal would move the majority of the kicking and return teams downfield to minimize high-speed collisions.

Sounds like a very good idea. Basically just moving the blocking and tackling players closer together. :happy1:
« Last Edit: March 03/20/24, 04:47:19 PM by KEN W »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Get rid of the kick-offs altogether. Let the offense start at the 20 yard line. Lets give the game some semblance of defense. Also mover the goal post closer together. Make extra points and field goals a bit tougher.