Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Weasels (ermine) With pics  (Read 27253 times)

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Hey Griz what do you get for a weasel pelt?
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Not much. Try to sell them to taxi's, get a bit more that way. Last yr think some got about 6-7 bucks ave. With the fur market crash I'm guessing they may be down somewhat but I wouldn't expect it to be as much. Reason being from what I understand most weasel go to the novelty trade. Examples would be in dream catchers, along with hooped beaver hangings, indian head dress, etc. Not much for garments or trim.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Not much. Try to sell them to taxi's, get a bit more that way. Last yr think some got about 6-7 bucks ave. With the fur market crash I'm guessing they may be down somewhat but I wouldn't expect it to be as much. Reason being from what I understand most weasel go to the novelty trade. Examples would be in dream catchers, along with hooped beaver hangings, indian head dress, etc. Not much for garments or trim.

I thought I saw something on tv that weasels are purchased for the hats/trim on the hats that the motionless soldiers out in front of buckingham palace wear?

Griz, is that true?
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure, could be.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday my run was a pleasant surprise. I'd expected to shovel out everyone of my boxes (due to high winds and light fluffy snow we've had as of late)but not a single one did I have to shovel out. Instead all the shoveling was to get my truck unstuck and I was in the middle of the road. Those north/south roads in the open were just brutal. Here's my buddy doing just that.

I'd actually expected to catch a couple weasel but that was it due to the cold as they don't like to move in it anymore than we do. Turns out I had my best run with 11, all were males cept one female.

Seems to me like moving the boxes around during the cold may help. I've been doing alot of that lately and the new locations have been out producing 75% to 7% catch ratio. Big difference in percentage.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like you had a good day of trapping!
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
That looks like a ton of fun! Can you give me a play by play on how you do this? From the sounds of it you don't just set the trap and come back later...
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
 I'll give it a whirl.

I'll start out with my boxes. I have been using rat traps but long springs can also be used but the box must be a bit wider to accomodate for the width of the trap. With the rat traps it lets you go 3 days between checks. With a long spring you are required by law to check them everyday.

I build them out of 1 x 4's and 3/8th plywood for the sides. You can use scrap lumber to save some money. The minimun size for inside dimentions would be 10" long x 3 1/2" wide x 5" high. You can make them bigger if you want but they must be at least that big to allow the trap to function properly and allow for easy baiting.

The front has a 2" hole with the bottom being 3" high. You can use a hole down to 1 1/2" but may have difficulty getting a frozen weasel out.

If you don't have a hole saw you could use a jig saw to cut a hole like this.

I may build some more boxes like this as a frozen weasel is easily removed. I would go with a hole that is only 1 3/4 wide and 3 inches up to the bottom.

The back I notched out the corners to allow air to flow through carying the scent of bait/lure further. Some prefer to bore another hole and cover with hardware cloth instead. They feel that it also lets the weasel feel like it's a tunnel rather than a box.

The lid is hinged just in front of the back piece as you can see from the third pic. From the fourth pic you can see I put the trap right up tight to the front and centered below the hole with the bait in the back.

For bait I have been useing liver mixed with anise oil. I have been salting it also for times when it gets really cold. Other good baits to use would be beaver, chicken and rabbit. The bait should be fresh and not tainted. I have also been useing lure but they can be caught without it. I just feel it helps me catch more especially in the colder weather.

Now for the most important aspect of trapping, no matter what your trapping is location. Also the hardest to explain so will use some pics to help. Keep in mind the number one prey for weasels are mice. Find places with lots of mice and you will find weasels.Once you find good habitat such as these places then you need to find the exact place to set up.

This location has some nice grassy cover. The culvert has open water which would make a poor place for a box, so I set up by the bush in front and have taken 3 in the last ten days here.

This spot I choose that uprooted tree for my location. There is no culvert here but the uprooted tree is a gate way for the weasel to get at an easy mouse. It also gives protection to my box from heavy amounts of snow. I have not got one here yet as my trap always has got a mouse or shrew. Most of them have been ate by a weasel after they have been caught.

This spot I shoveled down to the culvert an placed my box inside the culvert. That is what I like to do but not all habitat has a culvert. The reason I like culverts is
1. They protect my box from heavy amounts of snow.
2. They act as a funnel for weasel to get to the other side of the road rather than cross the road.
3. You are under the snow. Alot of a weasels time is spent under the snow chasing mice. In a culvert you are at the bottom. Can't run on snow above your box or beneath it.
4. It also enables me to locate tracks that would have otherwise been covered up by blowing snow
5. The only downfall to culverts is sometimes they blow shut and you need to shovel them out(extra work) But the trap still works as the weasel know the culvert is their and tunnel through snow to use them. I have made numeruos catches when I had to shovel out the culvert only to find a weasel in my trap. Sometimes up to 4 feet of snow over them. I believe they were under the snow and were going to use the culvert to get to the other side.
I only got one here but think I may have gotton more had I left it in place more than a few days.

This spot is another culvert I chose for a location. This one I usually need to shovel about a foot of snow to check. Have taken 4 at this location.

Here is another culvert location. This one requires little shoveling as the pic shows the wing on the plow goes right on top of and beyond the end of culvert. I have taken 7 here and my box is still there as the swamp is so big new weasel keep filling the vacant territory and over trapping is unlikely.

One important factor in trapping weasels is setting on sign. Locate some tracks and set as close to them as you can. You can't catch ghost weasels and the tracks are proof they are there. I have set up what I think are likely looking locations and caught weasels but not as many.

There are other sets such as a rat trap on a lath or nailed to a sapling with a baited trigger about 1 foot off the ground or a piece of 1 1/2 pvc pipe about 16" long wired to a tree with bait in the bottom that produce well I've heard in areas. I havn't yet tried them so am just speaking on what I have done. They would have the advantage of being able to handle heavier snows but also would require finding location where they would be on top of the snow. For my area there are plenty of culverts and feel a box in them is best. I am planning on trying the other methods out in certain situations in the near future.

With the cold we had last week it seemed moving to new locations has helped but seem to only catch one. Maybe that will change with warmer weather.

Hope this helps, If you have any ?'s just ask.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nice work Griz, thanks for all the pics and info.
"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL"  -Jeff Simpson

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I think I'll have to build me some of them....
Looks like fun!

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
That is what makes it so great. It's relatively simple, they aren't difficult to trap and are plentiful throughout most of the state. Getting set up to run a small line is not very expensive. Honestly I have more fun trapping the little ghosts than I do the more valuable critters.

As a side note if you gets started don't be surprised or upset if you see tracks just run by the box without paying any attention. It's like they got something in mind already an just run by. Next trip they will come by see the hole and smell the bait an just jump right in. I have had places where I found one had run by for over a week. I turned the box 90 degrees an whammo next trip had them.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice work Griz, thanks for all the pics and info.

Well a picture says a thousand words an I type pretty slow with both fingers.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well a picture says a thousand words an I type pretty slow with both fingers.

so then you type like my dad!!!   :rotflmao:  When he writes an e-mail, he will ask my mom to write it, or cme over and ask me to write it for him.  He will literally stand behind and say what needs to be written. 

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope I type it myself or as my daughter says "hammer on the keyboard". It would be faster though to just have her do it as she can type as fast as I can talk.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
Makes more sense now, Thanks! For some reason I gathered that you would set the traps and call them in or something.... Not sure where I got that from... :bonk:
I've honestly never seen a weasel before. I've got family land about 30 miles NW of bainerd. Do you think I'd find them there? What kind of licenses do I need? Thanks.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Hell Griz, you can type anyway you want...  you got seniority
here :rotflmao:
i type 1 finger and dont care about CAPS either ;D

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Makes more sense now, Thanks! For some reason I gathered that you would set the traps and call them in or something.... Not sure where I got that from... :bonk:
I've honestly never seen a weasel before. I've got family land about 30 miles NW of bainerd. Do you think I'd find them there? What kind of licenses do I need? Thanks.

Yes they should be near Brainard. All you need is a trappers lic.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
All this weasel news got me thinking. Great information and photos by the way Griz.

Anyway about 10 years ago at a garage sale I bought this old hunting magazine - The True Hunting Yearbook (1956) and it's got a story about weasels in it. I scanned the cover and the article. It's written by George Heinold. Check out the ads and the style of the magazine and the art - it really takes me back to when I was a kid. I hope that the article is readable.

Here's the cover.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Article to follow shortly-technical difficulties.   :whistling:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/19/09, 10:13:49 PM by Jeff »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I think if you click on the attachment, and open with Windows Pictures & Fax viewer, you will be able to enlarge it enough to read.  I'm not 110% satisfied with this method, so I'll keep working on it.   ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Let's try it this time: (if you're running Windows XP-you can enlarge to read the text-bottom right of your screen) Otherwise PM me, and I'll e-mail it to you.  :happy1:

« Last Edit: January 01/20/09, 04:40:09 PM by Jeff »

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
Woody thanks. Griz I was hoping to complement all the great stuff you have posted here. Hope I didn't muck things up in the process.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I have a couple of ? Griz.

Do you worry about your own scent when you place and check the traps?
Do you have to put your name on the traps?
Does anybody mess with your traps?
Have you ever caught a different critter in these traps other than weasels,mice, and voles?
Are they always dead or have you caught one that is tougher than the rest?
Do you have to skin them before you sell or do the buyers do it?
When is the season?

Thanks and keep up the great posts.
Jerry

Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Doug ya didn't mess anything up.

I don't worry about my scent any, sometimes set the traps bare handed.
Yes I put my DNR # on the trap in perm marker on the bottom.
No person has messed with my boxes yet anyways. I have found a couple spots where people followed my tracks to look,I think out of curiousity.
Just mice voles an weasels.
They have all been dead when I found them.
I think you could sell them to a buyer without skinning. I will be putting mine up on boards so I can ship to canada.
They are open all yr in MN but they only have fur value when white.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Had the opportunity to run the line with Griz today. Very educational. Here are a few pics from the day!

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like it was a very fun time!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
That looks like fun I bet yah learned a bit.  Hey Griz I'm from North of Atwater.  If you ever have room I'd love to tag along.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
That looks like fun I bet yah learned a bit.  Hey Griz I'm from North of Atwater.  If you ever have room I'd love to tag along.

I did. I can see where it would be addicting. Fun checking a trap and finding something in it. Kinda like winning the lottery or something... ;)

Looking forward to another round and a new animal.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Tim you forgot to mention about the hawk we seen trying to get the weasel. Think the weasel got away this time.

Then about how we were following the CO who was looking at my boxes with weasel in them. Then he went an come around behind us. Got another at that spot too. That was right where the hawk comes in.

One more
~Thomas Jefferson