Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 901056 times)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw this.  If it doesn't get you guys to sous vide ...

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/squirrel-confit-stuffed-banh-mi-with-wild-game-expert-david-draper

Squirrel Confit-Stuffed Bánh Mì, With Wild Game Expert David Draper

Estimated time: 45 min active; 18–20 hr total
Squirrels have long been traditional hunters’ fare, but this might be the first time these small game animals have received the sous vide-and-confit combo treatment. With this recipe, ChefSteps guest contributor and wild game expert David Draper turns a classic, widely available game meat into a true modern delicacy. After a long cook in duck fat (or olive oil), lean squirrel meat becomes tender and juicy, perfect for stuffing in a Vietnamese-style sandwich with spicy mayo and crisp pickled vegetables.

1 Squirrel, dressed
Kosher salt, as needed
45 ml Duck fat or olive oil
60 ml Fresh lime juice
30 ml Soy sauce
15 ml Fish sauce
15 ml Rice wine vinegar
12 g Sugar
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Jalapeño, finely diced
15 ml Sesame oil
2 Baguettes
60 ml Mayonnaise
-
Sriracha, to taste, as needed
-
Pickled carrots and daikon radishes, for garnish, as needed
-
Fresh cilantro, for garnish, as needed

1 Squirrel , dressed

Begin with a squirrel that is skinned, gutted, and well rinsed. Make sure there is no stray fur on the meat. (Yikes!)

NOTE: We’ve got two squirrels here, but you only need one to make this recipe. Double, triple, or quadruple the ingredients if you’ve got more squirrels to cook up—the cooking time and temperature will remain the same.

Make the marinade
60 ml Fresh lime juice
30 ml Soy sauce
15 ml Fish sauce
15 ml Rice wine vinegar
12 g Sugar
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Jalapeño, finely diced
15 ml Sesame oil

Whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, minced garlic, and diced jalapeños. Continue whisking, slowly drizzling in the sesame oil until incorporated.
Marinate your squirrel

Place the squirrel meat in a ziplock-style bag and pour the marinade over it. Press out as much air as you can, and seal the bag. Refrigerate, and let the squirrel soak for 2–4 hours.
Preheat Joule to 167 °F / 75 °C

For tender and juicy—just as squirrel should be—we recommend cooking at 167 °F / 75 °C for about 16 hours
Drain, dry, and bag
-
Kosher salt, as needed

Remove the squirrel from the bag, discard the marinade, and lightly rinse the meat. Pat the squirrel dry, then season it well with kosher salt. Place the squirrel in a sous vide bag, and add the duck fat or olive oil. Remove all air from the bag, and seal tightly.
Cook (and by that, we mean walk away)

Place the bagged squirrel in the pot of heated water with Joule. Then take the rest of the day off. Go to the park and feed the squirrels. This is called “banking karma.”

NOTE: Covering your pot with plastic wrap will help reduce evaporation during long cooks like this.
Debone and shred meat

Shred the meat with your hands or a fork, and discard the bones. You’ll have a pile of delicious, tender meat that’s ready to eat now. But we’re taking things a step further—let’s make a squirrel sandwich!
Build your bánh mì and chow down
2 Baguettes
60 ml Mayonnaise
-
Sriracha, to taste, as needed
-
Pickled carrots and daikon radishes, for garnish, as needed
-
Fresh cilantro, for garnish, as needed

Split your baguettes in half lengthwise. Mix the mayo with a healthy dose of sriracha, and whisk to combine. Slather this spicy spread along the bottom half of the bread. Pile on the shredded squirrel, then top with a handful of pickled carrots and daikon. Garnish with lots of fresh cilantro and, if you’re feeling brave, spread another liberal dose of spicy mayo on the top half of the baguette. We recommend a cold lager—maybe a Bud if you really want to channel your inner Missourian—to calm the burn as you enjoy the best spicy squirrel sandwich you’ve ever eaten.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ok, I've got the first ingredient.....   

1 Squirrel, dressed

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10/27/17, 12:08:59 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is the second ingredient...

Kosher salt, as needed

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my first batch of Canadian Bacon.  Did the Pops Brine and added a little extra molasses and garlic.  Smells great.  Brought it to 150 and is now in the frig.  Haven't tried it yet but I am going to have sandwichs with it for work tomorrow.  Have the winter jacket on the pellet grill. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The bacon.... 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
are you using that jacket while smoking???  if so where did ya get it???   thanks!!

looks great too!!!!
« Last Edit: October 10/29/17, 03:59:05 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks mint Lps.. While you guys are letting bambi chase you next weekend I'll be doing 20# of belly and 15# of canadian...  Smoke em if ya got em I say!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
are you using that jacket while smoking???  if so where did ya get it???   thanks!!

looks great too!!!!

I have a Green Mountain Grill pellet grill/smoker.  I also use the smoke tube that I bought cuz I like a lot of smoke.  I do hickory.  The insulated cover was made for the grill.  I have a Daniel Boone which is perfect for us.  The Jim Bowie is the bigger one and the Davie Crockett is the smaller portable one.  They threw the cover in on the deal when I bought it along with 2 bags of pellets.  I did have a couple of issues and they took care of me fantastic.  Even threw in more free things.  Would buy another one.  I buy my pellets at Menards.  Pit BoysI think is what they are.  1/2 the price per pound of all the others and I like them.  I bought that infrared gas grill to do quick burgers and steaks.  The pellet grill just does not do them fast enough and that makes the steaks tough I think.  Man needs more than one outdoor cooking device or you aren't doing it right...........

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have thought about getting one of those Smoke In it smokers too.  They look like an easy to operate machine.  Good you tubes on them.  Still need a grill besides one of them..

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

looks great too!!!!

I have a Green Mountain Grill pellet grill/smoker.  I also use the smoke tube that I bought cuz I like a lot of smoke.  I do hickory.  The insulated cover was made for the grill.  I have a Daniel Boone which is perfect for us.  The Jim Bowie is the bigger one and the Davie Crockett is the smaller portable one.  They threw the cover in on the deal when I bought it along with 2 bags of pellets.  I did have a couple of issues and they took care of me fantastic.  Even threw in more free things.  Would buy another one.  I buy my pellets at Menards.  Pit BoysI think is what they are.  1/2 the price per pound of all the others and I like them.  I bought that infrared gas grill to do quick burgers and steaks.  The pellet grill just does not do them fast enough and that makes the steaks tough I think.  Man needs more than one outdoor cooking device or you aren't doing it right...........

I thank you, Ican look into one now...   

should have thought of Green Mout....

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Made a sandwich out of my pork loin / bacon and it turned out great.  So easy too.  Glad I tried it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O num. Hopefully ya didn't smother it in katchup.  :rolleyes:    :azn:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Brats, curly fries and mixed veggies in cheese sauce

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
it almost looks like mayo on there too, but I'm sure I'm wrong... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup.... Mayo and siracha sauce....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I like that!!!  just thought I was seeing things!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :shocked:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
For those who find opening two bottles daunting.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I figgered YOU'D be the one to post the sriracha mayo....with yer knowledge of the local wang chung market.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 10/31/17, 08:06:52 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I did pick up a container of kewpie mayo last trip to the Asian store.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I did pick up a container of cowpie mayo last trip to the Asian store.
there I fixed it for ya del!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   

Kewpie mayo?! Ain't kewpie a doll?!   Dell?   :scratch:

« Last Edit: November 11/01/17, 07:13:16 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a doll and a brand of mayonnaise, Japanese I think.  Comes in a squeeze pouch type bottle.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What the hey do Japanese eat mayo on?! Egg foo yung sammiches?!   :rotflmao:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
you would have to ask them.  But egg foo yung is a chinese-american thing.   So, you really need to get your ethnic groups correct.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, sayonara to you too, you ain't no ichi-bon, wang chung !  :moon:  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: November 11/01/17, 05:57:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Fried rice...

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Shrimp and home cut fries. Apple pie will be there to, might be my last good meal here for the next three weeks or so.. :pouty:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Fried rice...

Hmmm...you made that on the grill?!  Looks kinda clumpy, Delmar...say..is that...are those  GREEN BEANS IN THERE!?!??!
« Last Edit: November 11/01/17, 06:20:36 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Why yes they are.  Not on the grill on the stove.  Mixed veg. was what there was in the freezer so that is what went in.   
Chicken, mixed veggies, onion, soy sauce, fish sauce (out of oyster sauce), rice, egg.   

Pretty good, for improv.