Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1509883 times)

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Hellfire chili and chili dawgs.... :happy1:

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Had some chili yesterday. Today is grilled cheese with fried bologna, onion and yellow mustard with a bowl of tomato soup. Yeah I was a little heavy handed with the pepper

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/15/16, 03:40:03 PM by Coffee118 »
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah I know I have the gravity defying food today  :doah: :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It's all that pepper!!!  ;D    :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Coffee I'm good with a lot of pepper myself.  Nice comfort meal indeed.  good luck.

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Looks good Coffee!!!  Nothing wrong with a little extra pepper!! :happy1:

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys, nothing better than grilled cheese and tomato soup on a cold day and fried bologna makes everything taste better   :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Cold days need some soup now and then.  Normally it's chicken noodle soup but it was Beef noodle soup last night.  Just switched from chicken to beef [chuck roast].  Having more tonight since I made a good size pot.  Some great multigrain bread on the side.  Those are red pepper flakes in my bowl.  Tonight I'm adding some fresh cut green onions in there also.  good luck.

« Last Edit: December 12/17/16, 10:36:45 AM by Reinhard »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Family gathering at my place today.  25-30 people.  Turkey, ham for main course but lots of side dishes and deserts. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Chuck roast in the crock pot with mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. Smothered  in spicy A-1 steak sauce.  :happy1:

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thatta boy Reb!!! Sounds good!!! :happy1:   :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, lbbg! Actually, that's tomorrow.... got ahead of myself. :doah: Made a big pot of  (as boober named it) Reb-a-roni. WHOO! That's some spicy stuff! Need it to warm up...driveway and sidewalk all blown out, steps up to house shoveled off, and roof raked. Then get rid of all that roof snow again off steps and driveway. *phew*  Then the plow came by..... :banghead:
« Last Edit: December 12/17/16, 12:16:24 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Fluffy dinner rolls.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can ya zip a pan over here, Del? I don't wanna get Mr. Sparkles dirty, and Glenn is watching A Smurf Christmas, that started at 3:00 PM..... ;D

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Done.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Brush with melted butter after they come out of the pan.  Served with butter, and FROG jam....

Picture to follow...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What have you done to a poor Frog now?! Used yer soused up thing and boiled him, didn'tcha??!??!  :cry:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
FROG jam. Saunders bros, Piney River Virginia

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
The F is for Fig.  Doesn't show up very well.  Friends brought it back from the orchard there in Piney River

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Those buns look great Del!!! I've been trying some baking myself with my new Kitchen aid mixer but nothing so far as nice as what you have made.  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a new recipe for me,  we will see how they actually taste.  It uses a technique from the Japanese that I have never done.      Water and flour is cooked to make a thick paste which is added to the dough.   Supposed to make it more moist and fluffy and not get dried out as fast.   

Here is recipe.... I doubled it.   

Why This Recipe Works

Moist, fluffy American dinner rolls are great when fresh but quickly lose those qualities as they sit. We took a classic dinner roll recipe and applied a Japanese bread-making method called tangzhong, which adds extra moisture to the dough in the form of a flour paste. The added liquid in the dough extends the rolls’ shelf life—they maintain their moist, fluffy texture for more than a day. To support the weight of the extra moisture, we built a strong gluten structure by making some changes to the mixing method—adding a resting period called an autolyse and withholding the butter until the gluten was firmly established. The shaping method was also important. Flattening each portion of dough and rolling it up in a spiral organized the gluten strands into coiled layers, which baked up into feathery sheets.

ingredients
Flour Paste
½cup water
3tablespoons bread flour

Dough
½cup cold milk
1 large egg
2cups (11 ounces) bread flour
1 ½teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
2tablespoons sugar
1teaspoon salt
4tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus ½ tablespoon, melted

instructions

Makes 12 rolls

We strongly recommend weighing the flour for the dough. The slight tackiness of the dough aids in flattening and stretching it in step 5, so do not dust your counter with flour. This recipe requires letting the dough rest for at least 2 hours before baking. The rolls can be made a day ahead. To refresh them before serving, wrap them in aluminum foil and heat them in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.

1. FOR THE FLOUR PASTE: Whisk water and flour together in small bowl until no lumps remain. Microwave, whisking every 20 seconds, until mixture thickens to stiff, smooth, pudding-like consistency that forms mound when dropped from end of whisk into bowl, 40 to 80 seconds.

2. FOR THE DOUGH: In bowl of stand mixer, whisk flour paste and milk together until smooth. Add egg and whisk until incorporated. Add flour and yeast. Fit stand mixer with dough hook and mix on low speed until all flour is moistened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes.

3. Add sugar and salt and mix on medium-low speed for 5 minutes. With mixer running, add softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to mix on medium-low speed 5 minutes longer, scraping down dough hook and sides of bowl occasionally (dough will stick to bottom of bowl).

4. Transfer dough to very lightly floured counter. Knead briefly to form ball and transfer, seam side down, to lightly greased bowl; lightly coat surface of dough with vegetable oil spray and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

5. Grease 9-inch round cake pan and set aside. Transfer dough to counter. Press dough gently but firmly to expel all air. Pat and stretch dough to form 8 by 9-inch rectangle with short side facing you. Cut dough lengthwise into 4 equal strips and cut each strip crosswise into 3 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time, stretch and press dough gently to form 8 by 2-inch strip. Starting on short side, roll dough to form snug cylinder and arrange shaped rolls seam side down in prepared pan, placing 10 rolls around edge of pan, pointing inward, and remaining 2 rolls in center. Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

6. When rolls are nearly doubled, adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake rolls until deep golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let rolls cool in pan on wire rack for 3 minutes; invert rolls onto rack, then reinvert. Brush tops and sides of rolls with melted butter. Let rolls cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
------------------------------------------------------

I would be happy to help if you have any questions about bread etc.   

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Del!!  I will give it a whirl.  Always ready to trying something new.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those buns look great Del!!! I've been trying some baking myself with my new Kitchen aid mixer but nothing so far as nice as what you have made.  good luck.

*GASP*  Is RH telling Del he has great looking buns???!?!  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So, what's the Japanese connection, Del? I notice you like a lot of that stuff....I'm serious!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
The paste of cooked flour and water is reportedly something the Japanese invented to make bread that they liked.   Modern not way back samurai bread maker. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ohhh...thought maybe there was a Japanese in the family or something. My aunt is a full Korean, my uncle married her over there after the Korean war, and they came back to the states in the early 60's. He was in charge of the Army's commissaries over  there. He opened the first mexican restaurant in Rochester, go figger. He knew how to cook, wow. Worked there all through high school. I learned from him, and he was one of the best.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, just a recipe I saw with a twist invented by the Japanese.  My family all European so far as I know.   Bohemian, German, Swedish, Italian.   Melting pot sort of.