Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Boat covers  (Read 3089 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The boat I use the most is my 16' Lund with a 40 hp 4 stroke tiller on it.  I have those wood slats to keep the cover up when in storage.  I have been on Amazon, Cabelas, L & M looking for a good ol canvas boat cover for winter storage.  I will maybe also put a plastic tarp over all of that too.  Well I expected to just find my boat style and place my order for a $100 tarp.  Not so easy.  Most of them say for boats with or without windshields.  So how can that be a good fit????  A couple of years ago I ordered a tarp to cover the 5th wheel camper we had and it was about $200.  Absolute piece of junk.  It was almost like that thin Tyvek material.  Couldn't even get it on the first time without ripping it.  It is still in the basement if anyone wants it.  Anyways I sure don't want to get stuck with something like that.  Guess I will have to go to a store so I can touch the material so I know it is good stuff.   If anyone knows a good brand let me know.  This shouldn't be so hard.   ( I hear that all of the time by the way)  lol

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
WEll, I had an Attwood canvas one for my 16' Lund Rebel SS, that I bought at FF years ago.  It was heavy, not a lightweight, had D-ring sewn on strips around it (about 4 per side) and a heavy "rope" that went thru the entire "edge" of cover. Put it on, pull rope tight in back by motor, and use D-ring tie-downs. Was great. Went with the boat in July when I sold it, still like new, 15 years old. I'd say take a look at FF and see if they still have them...it was like $60 or so. I've ordered stuff from Overton's too, but they aren't always the cheapest.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I hear ya LPS, I got tired of those "one size" fits all boat covers. Went through quite a few....then had enough and pulled the trigger on a custom made. Glad I  did, just should have done it sooner!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
How about calling CanvasCraft? I know they have or will make anything to fit.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
that's what I did. had a custom made cover for both the boat and ATV!!! MORE SPENDY THEN THE GENERIC BUT WELL WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's exactly what I want Rebs.  Ya HD I am thinking of getting the one made for the boat.  What the heck.  Then I will be happy with it. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I had mine done in Cambridge, reasonable too....I'd have to check the name when I get home.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I see one online for sale.  New $ 175.  Does not sound like too bad of price. Looks like that shiny gray canvas. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
How about calling CanvasCraft? I know they have or will make anything to fit.

Had them make one for my 17' StarCraft. But I still throw a good heavy plastic tarp over the whole works in the winter. The snow and melted ice slides of the trap nice and I go out and brush it off after each heavy snow.
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, check out watersedge boat covers or something like that. His name is Jim. He is up by Wheelers point, south of Sportsmans. If he has not retired yet. He does good work. Had him make our boat cover for us. he does not advertise but you could get the number from LOTW Marine. I know they bring boats to him. Good Luck.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn that was a good idea JB..  I see him occasionally too.  Never thought of that.  BUT I did get a great tarp on Ebay.  I looked for Lund tarps and one was on that fits my boat with 14 hours left and no bids.  It ran out and the guy called me and he ran it again at a reduced rate and I bought it.  He used to be a Lund dealer until 2 years ago and has some new tarps left.  Heavy Duty with Lund logo on them. Originally like $399 he sold to me for $175.  I verified and yes they do cost that much.  He said he has a few more left for different sized boats.  I told him I would tell my online Smoking and Hunting pals.  He is catboo on Ebay.  He is in New York.  Good guy.  His Dad died 2 years ago so quit the boat thing and just sell motorcycles now.  If you need a tarp he may have your size.....  Thanks for all of the ideas.  Glad I sprung for a nice one.  AND Leech I will put a cheap plastic one on top of it too.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Awesome! Good deal.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline hawg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
LPS, EBay was going to be my suggestion too. My Lund cover has been in use since 2003 and still has a lot of life in it. I went thru a bunch of those aftermarket ones too and never had even a decent one. The Lund ones are great! They make a rubber band/bungee style stretchy tie down set for those that really work well with them, mine were from Cabela's.
I've been your age, you never been mine!