Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hummingbird birds  (Read 30309 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that you mention it I haven't seen a hummer yet today neither.  That 28.5 this morning may have chased them away.  We too just use the 4:1 water sugar ratio.  I just use hot tap water when I make it and stir till the sugar has dissolved.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanx dotch,I have morning glories as well,never seen hummers hittin'em,purple color if that makes a diff?,flowers come out in the evening but no hummers.Had one large hummer one day about 5"s tall ,briiant green back,otherwise just a couple tiny birds about the size of ping pong balls,short and stumpy not much color,figure babies...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can't tell you on color snow. Have two main morning glory sites. Haven't noticed any preference. They seem to hit the flowers on the site pictured in the a.m. Most of the birds coming thru now appear to be younger birds based on their small size and color. Haven't seen a male with the ruby throat for several weeks.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that a morning glory?  I didn't know they got so tall.  I may have to plant them on our power poles.  Will it be easy to trim where my power box is? 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's numerous plants of course Barry that come back from seed every year. They don't always grow like they did this year tho. Lots of heat and timely rains with extended dry periods between rains so they really took off. Helped keep leaf diseases to a minimum too. Pictured is last year's model in the same spot taken on Sept. 6th. One always wonders in May if they'll ever amount to much. Before you know it though they climb over 10' and pollinators including hummingbirds are loving life.

Not sure where your power box is but they are aggressive, out competing vegetation nearby once established. Morning glories are originally from tropical America. The vines are like rope once they start climbing. Escaped morning glories are a weed in parts of the corn belt, wrapping around crops and clogging harvest equipment. They do tend to spread but are easily controlled by chemical and early on by cultural methods. The seeds contain LSA which is a cousin to LSD. That's why some places locally wouldn't sell the seeds to high school kids once word got out.  :mysterymachine:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So if I plant them around my poles in the driveway would they spread all over on their own.  I mean down the ditch etc.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So if I plant them around my poles in the driveway would they spread all over on their own.  I mean down the ditch etc.

Probably not as long as it's grass and especially if it's mowed. You can see by the photos how far from the pole they spread. Each spring I start out mowing within a foot or so of the pole. Eventually they just kinda spread out a few feet more around it & I give them some space.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Didn't see any this a.m. Was in a hurry tho.  Hafta check out the backyard at lunchtime to see if they're still around.  :scratch:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL dotch...your insight brought back memories,early 70's,road trip to Vail colorado,summer time,camping in a van ,ran in to hippies one day camping near us,they were making "morning glory wine" from seeds,never new the history of the seeds till your thread,thanx,hippies said the seeds gave them a good cheap buzz...lol.

LPS,agree with dotch on glories,only planted glories both morning and moon glories once few years back along my privacy fence which the vines cover up nicely,come back every summer.for my hummers they love the "trumper vine flowers I  planted the vine seeds 5 years ago on my yard pole light pole,they grow up to 50',bloom clusters of orange nectar filled flowers hummers seem to love.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
didnt see any here again either,,,,,,,,,,,not yet anyway!!!! even the wasp traps arent that busy, or full.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They're still here. When I got back from raking hay, I heard their familiar squeaking sound emanating from the tomato cages, their favorite place to hide. Unless they move it's almost impossible to see them in the foliage. Sorta reminds me of that squeaking sound on MNO. Can't figure out where it's coming from... :scratch: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 09/18/20, 05:21:52 PM by Dotch »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
They're still here. When I got back from raking hay, I heard their familiar squeaking sound emanating from the tomato cages, their favorite place to hide. Unless they move it's almost impossible to see them in the foliage. Sorta reminds me of that squeaking sound on MNO. Can't figure out where it's coming from... :scratch: :rotflmao:

It's from Glenn....daaaaaa.....

So, these morning glories...they are a veining flower? And the grow from seeds every year? Do you start them early?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

It's from Glenn....daaaaaa.....

So, these morning glories...they are a veining flower? And the grow from seeds every year? Do you start them early?

Yes, they are vining. Just about anything works as a trellis. Hunks of hog panel, wire gates, ear corn tunnels, etc. They are annuals & grow from seed every year. Typically though you plant them once in a spot and they reseed themselves so you usually don't have to plant them again. They usually don't get going here until about mid-May. The only time I've planted new seed is if I want to change the color pattern up a little. That generally works better on newer plantings. The massive amount of seed produced by an established planting like the ones pictured makes it like peeing in the ocean.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :confused: :tut: :pouty: hey sweet this!! :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Ya all would miss me. :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hac a lone hummingbird tonight. Don't matter by Sunday the feeders are done

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still at least one here this a.m. Not seeing them chasing like they were earlier in the week before it cooled down.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had 2 different ones this morning. May wait a few days now before I take them down.

A friend of ours gave us a sedum plant. Couldn't believe how fast the bees found that when I stuck it in the flower bed. Headed up to the greenhouse to see is they got a couple more.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Do hummingbirds "flock" together?
The wife said she saw a whole bunch of small 🐦 heading south.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've never seen that?? :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Never see them in flocks but that doesn't mean much. Most of the stuff seems to indicate they don't group up much. Still one here this a.m. 4 o'clocks are still flowering like mad. Will have to save some seed soon.

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/hummingbird-migration.htm 

http://www.hummingbirds.net/migration.html 

https://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/hummingbird-migration.html 
« Last Edit: September 09/20/20, 08:54:34 AM by Dotch »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen one here since the night it got down to 24.  They must have sensed that coming a moved south.  That was about 3 days ago.  Will leave the feeders up till it gets cold again just in case one moves through the area.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still one here this a.m.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i havent seen one now since sunday morning!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
None at my place since last week.central minn.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well if dem hummingbirds want to eat there gonna have head down to snow's or Dotch's house. I done pulled them tonight.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They may be here a while. I filled my feeders with G&T's!  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
See? It worked! Spied one on the feeder this a.m. while I was seated in the oval office.  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One contestant still on the feeders this a.m. Must be the Boodle's... :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One contestant still on the feeders this a.m. Must be the Boodle's... :scratch:
its probably so friggin drunk it dont no no better then to head south!!!!!!!! :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: