Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hummingbird birds  (Read 30307 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
You may need to not fill them so full LPS, and fill them more often. That sugar water can get pretty rancid in the heat.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I do like you Barry, but I refill it about once a week though.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ours get filled with nectar that's been warmed in the microwave with no food coloring. Easy for me to tell if it goes bad as it gets cloudy. Usually need to refill ~ every 2 weeks or so here. It doesn't seem like we have as many as normal this year yet though. :sad:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No coloring for us. We fill our two feeders about one fourth full and refill more often so it stays fresher and we can dump the bugs out.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I use hot tap water & mix a 4:1 water to sugar ratio a quart at a time. No food color. Store the leftover in the fridge. Usually fill nectar feeders 1/4 to 1/2 full. Like Gunner I kinda monitor the feeders. If the mixture gets cloudy or full of bugs, I clean the feeders out good and put fresh stuff in. When it's warm it needs changing more frequently.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
They are going nuts here out west, funny watching one feed and then sit on a branch waiting to chase off the next one that shows up. We have a small and a perty big feeder here but the in-laws in sconi have lots of little feeders scattered around which seem to work pretty good, maybe no bulling that way.. might have to try it perhaps.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That don't work boober, we have 5 feeders at the cabin, alot like kids and toys, they all seem to want the same one  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I can't do those hummingbird or oriole feeders here....the bears like them to much and mama don't want the bruisers in the yard  :undecided:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 The feeder by the steps down to the lake's 'bout empty but the other 1 is starting to get a little cloudy. :scratch: No bugs in it yet, that I've seen, though.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't do those hummingbird or oriole feeders here....the bears like them to much and mama don't want the bruisers in the yard  :undecided:
thats crazy, the cabin is in the middle of bear country and we've never had a problem with yogi and boo boo with any of our feeders.   :scratch: strange!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
thats crazy, the cabin is in the middle of bear country and we've never had a problem with yogi and boo boo with any of our feeders.   :scratch: strange!!

I don't see a problem with it 🙂, but it don't make mama happy...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Never had a problem with 'em bothering our feeders either.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
HD has the friendly bears!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:  see they are even trained to walk upright!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Escapees from the circus?            ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Still no hummer's at my place,however only put one feeder out and a couple store bought nectar type flower bokay's,not sure where the  feeder nectar is going? flies found the feeder so maybe the insects are lapping the sugar water up?,I usually sit out in the pole barn smoking cigars so keeping a close eye on the feeder for hummers,might put the second one out tonight and hope for the best.

on a side note ,dotch pegged my downy wood pecker,tough little some beech as he has taken control of my large willow tree,thinking mama has a nest somewhere ,this little downy won't let any other birds perch on the tree,he runs them all away.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Has anyone else noticed less hummingbird activity recently???

How bout you nordern Minnesota fellers?? Been wondering if I should even bother bringing up new juice next week??? :scratch:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have not seen one for a week or 2 now.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Have one that keeps flittin' around these flowers on my front steps...must be somethin' he likes in there.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman

How bout you nordern Minnesota fellers?? Been wondering if I should even bother bringing up new juice next week??? :scratch:
There’s a few around, but not like a few weeks ago. I’ll try to update before you head back up.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
My little "rufus hummer" comes around every evening,takes a sip or two of nector and moves on,never had the ruby throat all summer this year.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

There’s a few around, but not like a few weeks ago. I’ll try to update before you head back up.
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just filled our feeders last week, haven't seen or heard 1 in a bit though. :scratch: Looks to me like the liquid is still goin down.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Just filled our feeders last week, haven't seen or heard 1 in a bit though. :scratch: Looks to me like the liquid is still goin down.
dehydration, just sayin!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

dehydration, just sayin!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:scratch: What've you been :smoking:?              :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 09/15/21, 12:27:20 PM by Gunner55 »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nothing quit smoking several years ago!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still lotsa hummingbird activity here in the south at the ranch. Hitting the nectar feeders and cannas hard along with numerous other flowers. Think I'll whip up one more batch of nectar so they'll have clean fresh stuff for the remainder of their stay here. We'll probably have them another 10 days - 2 weeks yet then all bets are off.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman

Haven’t seen any for a while, Glenn. Probably don’t have to fill the feeders.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks fishwidow!!! :happy1: was kinda my thoughts also. Only seen one around here yesterday. I'll be taking my feeders down here at home when I get back from up north.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Only seen 'em for a couple days after we refilled the feeders, been 'bout a week since I seen/heard 1.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still some using the nectar feeder and hitting the cannas here today after I returned from the car cruise. Their days are numbered I'm afraid... :sad: