Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289587 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw two Canadian geese for the first time this year.  Hope that's a sign of a early spring.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Could be, RH....they've been flying overhead in the early mornings here, (dawn) honking away. That usually only starts in Spring here, as they hit the thawed out fields for any leftovers.  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Saw two Canadian geese for the first time this year.  Hope that's a sign of a early spring.  good luck.
reiny.........just drive up by moniticello....you'll see all kinds of gooses and swans!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Come down here to see 'em, lotsa honkers here at Silver Lake! Gets so noisy with 'em, it sounds like a union meeting!  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

https://youtu.be/1DJEHAYpYqg
« Last Edit: March 03/05/20, 11:21:59 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Come down here to see 'em, lotsa honkers here at Silver Lake! Gets so noisy with 'em, it sounds like a union meeting!  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

https://youtu.be/1DJEHAYpYqg
:pouty: :pouty: :moon: :moon: :moon: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: BITE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well! That's just a fine how-do-you-do!!!!!  :shocked:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
done heard a robin this afternoon, never did see the bugger though. lotz of geese flew over too!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Didja see a titmouse?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got Canada Geese here too... also had a pair of Sandhill Cranes...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Didja see a titmouse?
no but when I see you in a picture I see a doah doah bird. :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I seen a Robin,......I seen a Robin... :dancinred: :dancinred: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw 3 swans close up landing in a field today. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Turkey vultures are back, heard some killdeers and saw a flock of red-winged blackbirds. Geese are hanging around on our pond below the hill. Pretty sure it's still frozen over.  :huh:
« Last Edit: March 03/08/20, 09:54:23 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
It must almost be spring....I saw my first robin this morning.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A few grackles here at choretime.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Two Juncos pokin' around on the ground.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You still have some cardinals Reb? We share a pair with the neighbor to the south. The male cardinal sings his heart out every morning during chores. Then he takes a break to come up and pick at the sunflower & safflower seeds.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, in my giant yew out front. Since they return to the same nesting site every year (so they say) it's proven true by seeing them in the yew every year. They were out in it yday chirping away. They also seem to like music...when the tunes in the garage go on, (right next to the yew) they chirp and sing like crazy.
« Last Edit: March 03/09/20, 10:04:59 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I mentioned in Good Morning, we haven't hardly seen a grosbeak of any kind.  Had one immature male Rose Breasted one buy way back last fall we think.  We usually have a flock of Evening Grosbeaks hang around for a week or two.  Maybe they will still come. Have an occasional Pine Grosbeak too but not this year. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I mentioned in Good Morning, we haven't hardly seen a grosbeak of any kind.  Had one immature male Rose Breasted one buy way back last fall we think.  We usually have a flock of Evening Grosbeaks hang around for a week or two.  Maybe they will still come. Have an occasional Pine Grosbeak too but not this year.
those pine at evening grosbeaks usually head south outta Canada when food gets hard to find up there. IF we can ever be up at the cabin on a consistent schedule to keep good in the feeders we had a bunch of both. Dang there colorful birds  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This guy in KS had a few turkeys in his field...:Turkey:  :shocked:

https://t.co/r3qcAiAv6O 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looked like a herd of cattle there are so many of them.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
In fields like those, especially along wooded river bottoms, lakes & streams, you have to wonder how much crop is actually left at harvest. Between turkeys, squirrels, deer, bunnies and raccoons down here it's not unusual to see a dozen or more rows completely gone. Speeds up harvest that way!  :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got my first redwing black bird in the feeder this morning.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
haven't seen them yet..  sure am hearing many "new" sounds when I'm out side...  spring is coming!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I seen a morning dove yesterday!!!!!!! still not much for birds yet. I hear cardinals most mornings though!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty devoid down here, haven't realllly seen any birds.... except for my cardinals! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw the first 2 Canada geese a few minutes ago.  Flew right over the house.  Have shot two red squirrels so far out of the bird feeder.  Missed one two.  I let the gray squirrels eat though. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw and heard my 1st sandhill crane flying over yesterday altho I think HD saw one already last week or before. Buddy of mine had wood ducks trying to get in the houses at his place today. He'd blocked the entrances to keep the owls and other undesierables out. I had one about 15 years ago that put a full clutch of eggs in the one nesting box by the end of March. Never hatched however.  :scratch: