Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289482 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ya, I've seen a few....but they have that whitish tummy, and are rounder with that sharp, light colored tiny bill......maybe you've got a whole new species there, Delchirp.

Great.  I'll be famous.   Maybe I'll get a better look at them tomorrow.

A new bird has been discovered in SW CAWchester.....has been named  Delchirps White-capped Tufted Spring Grebe... :rotflmao: :bonk:
« Last Edit: March 03/31/20, 09:31:28 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is this what yer seeing, Deltweet? It's a Junco, just noticed a bunch of them pokin' around where my sump hose is discharging....must be getting a drink. He does have a white tummy; just can't see it.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks a lot like that.   I thought maybe Junco but don't they  migrate?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I thought so. I always see some in the Spring around here, though. Don't know if they came back, or overwintered. Since I never see them in the summer, I'd say they overwintered. Maybe some bird person can answer that. I'm not real up on bird habits.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Just saw 2 finches in da back yard. Der peckin on da finch feeder. No color to um yet but kin tell by da wing markings and der more streamline den our sparrows.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great article and made me realize that I do really like Juncos.  I will be looking for an Oregon Junco now and will pay attention to whether Juncos are here year around. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Brought to you by Mutual of Omaha. ''Say Jim, howz it going with that alligator?" 
:rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Juncos are just traveling through. They don't stick around here. I think they summer up in Canada and even further north! :scratch:
« Last Edit: March 03/31/20, 02:41:41 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just had a bluebird checking out the housing situation!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tree swallows are back at least for tonite. Peonies are coming up. Saw a garter snake in the garden a few minutes ago and the western chorus frogs in the pond are almost deafening!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: April 04/07/20, 07:18:15 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Tree swallows are our favorites.  I better get their houses ready. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tree swallows were still here this a.m. Saw a brown creeper and was hearing what sounded like a white throated sparrow. It's about time for them to start moving thru here. In addition to the pheasants, geese and cranes that frequent the pasture we had a drake mallard wandering around. He's huge, almost the size of some of the domesticated ducks I've seen. Not sure if they cross up but it makes ya wonder...
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Tree swallows were still here this a.m. Saw a brown creeper and was hearing what sounded like a white throated sparrow. It's about time for them to start moving thru here. In addition to the pheasants, geese and cranes that frequent the pasture we had a drake mallard wandering around. He's huge, almost the size of some of the domesticated ducks I've seen. Not sure if they cross up but it makes ya wonder...

I recall my dad bringing home a couple of huge mallards back in the day.    And there is a breed of domestic duck that looks like a mallard as I recall  (off to look it up) back, turns out there are several breeds of domestic ducks that look a lot like a mallard only bigger.   

Any neighbors missing a duck? 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My aunt raised Rouens with the mallard color pattern. Used to eat them at Thanksgiving & they were really good. Lots of moist dark meat. They were a little bigger than this guy was so not so sure this one isn't just a fluke of nature. Odds are I'll see him again as he's likely part of a nesting pair in the pond area.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a robin.
was batman with!!!!! :rotflmao:

welcome back bud...……….hope all is well...…...I did miss you!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee, Never thought I'd hear that....I must be dreaming. :doofus:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee, Never thought I'd hear that....I must be dreaming. :doofus:
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lotsa wooden peckers out there too.  *KWIRR*KWIRR*

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
For the past 2 weeks I've had a male bluebird around checking things out. Lady few days I've seen the female. Today I've been watching and it looks like there taking up residence. :happy1:

Now iffin I could get them friggin starlings off my mealworm feeder. :angry2: oh well, I'll get 1 more bag of mealworm, by then the bugs will be more plentiful and I'll quit putting out mealworm.do far I've seen Cardinals, Robins, chickadees and finches on the mealworm feeder. :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw a brown thrasher yesterday. Keep hearing the white throated sparrows but have yet to see one.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What's this little guy? Just sat here for a long time....saw it the other day there, too. Must like that old bench.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That one's a toughy. Looked thru both the Sibley's I have, Peterson and Golden. About all I can say is it isn't a goose or a crow...  :scratch:

It looks like it might be one of those immature warblers w/o wing bars but no clue as to which one. The stripes on the breast  and lack of yellow coloration make it that much more confusing. Best guess is immature Canada warbler but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Now glenn's maybe... :rotflmao:   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee! I have an unknown bird in my backyard! Thanks! Do I get a piece of Auntie Mar mars rhubarb crisp?  :smiley:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have chicadees and nuthatches all of the time here.  The last few days we have had at least one of those smaller nuthatches with orange on the belly.   Just had 8 swans fly right over the house. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, that little guy is back.....maybe I'll just go out and ask what he is! I'm thinking it may be a female juvenile ruby-crowned kinglet....had quite a few of those in the tree next to that bench over the years. Just doesn't seem to have the wing "bands"....
« Last Edit: April 04/20/20, 09:02:17 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We got a few new visitors....a couple Geese....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a couple rooster pheasants and a hen racing around the yard yesterday. Can't imagine what they're up to... :evil:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey!  Our tree swallows are here this morning.  I have their houses all ready too.