Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289556 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw a red headed woodpecker a bit ago, sure don't see them too often anymore.
We have some Pileated Woodpeckers around the lake & 1 that really likes 1 of our big pines out by the big shed. They are huge compared to the other ones. :crazy:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They are pretty cool birds.  We have them around here too.  I love their sounds. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
They are pretty cool birds.  We have them around here too.  I love their sounds. 
Except when he trades in the big pine for the galvanized steel shed & starts hammerin away. :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Checked out the pond area last nite while I was doing some maintenance on bluebird/tree swallow houses. On the pond there was a pair of blue-winged teal, one drake wood duck and the mallard pair including the mega mallard drake. Nothing in the on land wood duck house so I'm guessing the one out in the water is occupied. With crappy weather coming up I should get the waders out and go see.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
First Hummingbird at the feeder just now.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Still haven't seen a hummer or Oriole  :scratch: and even with the finches and Robin's around I haven't had to refill the grape jelly yet?!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Between the blue jays, a catbird & those rats with wings otherwise known as house sparrows, they emptied our jelly feeder today. Still no orioles or hummingbirds here yet either... :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The goldfinches have been nuts lately. Haven't been to FF in about a month so may have to take a major risk to restock the thistle seed supply. Maybe see if they have some of those feeders that allow you to attach the whole jar of jelly to it. Was eying those late in the season last year but didn't pull the trigger. Might've heard some oriole activity early this a.m. but most likely just the brown thrashers whooping it up. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
And like that, an oriole appears! Had a sign on him that said " Gotta run. Be late to Roony's! " 😊
« Last Edit: May 05/07/20, 04:40:01 PM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
And like that, an oriole appears! Had a sign on him that said " Gotta run. Be late to Roony's! " 😊

Thet like all that "clean livin'" in this part of the county.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen my first wren and Oriole today  :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a rose-breasted grosbeak here yesterday, a red-headed woodpecker and 3 male orioles here today. Things are lookin' up!  :happy1: Still looking for a Harris's sparrow and a hummingbird.  :scratch:

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
White throated sparrow, chipping sparrow, fox sparrow and northern flicker - recent highlights
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman

Have not seen any Orioles yet this season but then again we can't put up feeders for a few more weeks either.  Way too many bears like them.  Seems every year I end up replacing 3-4 due to bear issues.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Have not seen any Orioles yet this season but then again we can't put up feeders for a few more weeks either.  Way too many bears like them.  Seems every year I end up replacing 3-4 due to bear issues.
do you put up hummingbird feeders?? Do they need with them?? We've never had an issue at the cabin with bears and the liquid feeders. Sunflower feeders at times though.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
We had a red winged blackbird at the feeders today. Odd, I think he's lost. Nearest slough is about a mile. The river runs through the yard, but the only time we have seen them in the past is if they show up to early and we get a big snowfall after they arrive....
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually get a couple red wing blackbirds early on but not this year. Now them friggin starlings. :angry2: :angry2:

Been watching a dozen yellow finches by the feeders this morning. Sure are busybodies.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
red wings all over here...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I just noticed that chickadees like the oriole/hummingbird feeders and the bowl of grape jelly on the rail.   

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Catbirds really like the jelly too. I have noticed a blue jay or two eating jelly as well.  Our chickadees have yet to touch it. I have also noticed that all the birds eat certain brands better too.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We've had more red wing black birds here then ever before for some reason.  :scratch:
Also, some purple finches or house finches have shown up, that we never had before (not sure which ones they are, but they are a redish color)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Finches with the reddish color, mainly there heads, are the purple finches. :happy1:

Still no signs of the hummingbirds though. :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No hummers or hummingbirds either one here.  :sad: Did have this guy stop by and gawk in the window earlier today. He sat on the railing for quite a spell. Probably looking at his reflection. Not sure how that's possible as dirty as the window is.  :scratch:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Couple of Indigo Buntings out there right now.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1:

Been waiting on them too. They usually don't stay here. Had several female grosbeaks at the feeders last nite. No orchard orioles or hummingbirds as of this a.m.  :scratch:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We have a Indigo Bunting here today, first I've ever seen here!
« Last Edit: May 05/13/20, 04:15:34 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
They are beautiful, they seem to just pass through my place.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great HD!.  I think I saw one once.  We are waiting for the Grosbeaks.  We usually get a few of them at our feeders. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is great!! and glad ya got the picture too!!  sometimes there's no time to get one!!!    :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!