Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289542 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Why I oughta...
« Last Edit: September 09/08/20, 02:42:21 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: happy anniversary!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :bow:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Still have hummers here but the bees are starting to show up.  That usually creates some territory issues.
Some still working our feeder along the shore here too. Been still seein & hearing a bunch of Loons, DNR says we have 8 nesting pairs on the lake most years.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Had an immature male Rose Breasted Grosbeak at the feeder today.  We get all three types of Grosbeaks some years but hardly had any of them last year.  Hope for more this year.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still one lone oriole tonite at the jelly jar feeder. Looked like a female Baltimore. Hummingbirds are still going nuts. They emptied one feeder & pulled on the other one pretty hard. Mixed up another batch of sugar water to refill them.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still an oriole at the jelly feeder yet tonite. Looks like the same one. Hummers have the life of Riley. Between all the flowers and feeders they've got it made.  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Still got hummingbirds up this way to. Sunflower feeders are busy too.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still one lone barn swallow hanging around tonite as well. Ironically when I checked the sheep earlier at the other pasture, there was a dead swallow by the waterer there. Wasn't there yesterday when I stopped. With the cooler temps there aren't a lot of flying insects for them to eat. Hope it didn't starve to death.  :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One barn swallow still here last nite and there was an oriole at the jar type jelly feeder this a.m.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
still a few hummers around. my sunflower feeders are full of finches and an occasional morning dove. last night seen a tree rat back by my black walnut with a walnut in its mouth. after last years bumper crop of walnuts, not many this year.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I see The Narrows took down 1 of their hummer feeders & put up a suet cake feeder so they must have fewer over there.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That one male rose breasted grosbeak was back for a snack. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just loaded up a ram and a bunch of barn swallows showed up. The flies and other flying insects are getting active again so the swallows are more likely to have something to nosh on as they move on thru.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 We just had a woodpecker beating the siding on the house. :confused: Stoopid thing.its aluminum siding. Musta been after bugs. :doofus:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Catbird(s) still here. Just came out of the 4 o'clock patch. Flickers are here today as well.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Took down, cleaned up and put away the jelly feeders for the season. Let the blue jays finish off any remaining jelly so I didn't have to contend with it. Replaced one of the feeders with another suet feeder and put out some more ear corn. Been seeing a red-bellied woodpecker so figured he might appreciate it. Otherwise mostly chickadees, blue jays and white breasted nuthatches using the feeders. Lots of robins on the move. They're eating lots of nannyberries as are some of the cedar waxwings. Flickers seem to be finding something in the lawn to eat. Several of them moving thru as well. Nectar feeders will come down next week & will install the last suet feeder then. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Filled the feeders at the cabin the blue jays were plentyfull. Some chickadees and woodpeckers on the suet cakes. Juncos showed up to.

Around home still a bunch of finches, both the purple and a few yellow finches. Couple woodpeckers. Still see cardinals.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agree with you guyz,hummers are gone,or the one I had most of the summer,more squrriels are in my feeders than birds lately,whacked a bunch over the weekend and a huge wood chuck  that was snacking on my wind fall apples,got him before my dog notice him out back,not sure where all these squrriels come from? take out two four more show up the next day...red squrriels are the worst,got one thats been gnawing on my garage service door trim trying to get in when bird feeders are empty,must smell the sunflower seeds inside,his days are numbered,amazing how fast these little reds are.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
seems some of the birds headed south, not near as many at the feeders last 4-5 days!!!! :doah:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw some juncos here Monday after seeing them at my Mom's place on Saturday. Tons of robins and lots of flickers yet. Plenty of berries for the robins to eat. Between the blue jays and the robins there are purple bird crap stains all over everything.  :rolleyes:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dont recall seeing any juncos around home yet but there were plenty up at the cabin last time i was up!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Lots of Woodpeckers tonight!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
those are fun to watch!!!    big bird!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lot's of Juncos here.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea we had alot of juncos at the cabin too.  Have a bunch around here to. Quiet a few purple finches too. They really worked the feeders over today. :happy1: :rotflmao: fun to watch.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure why but they are using the bird bath any more????    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  only 6 inches of snow on it... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure why but they are using the bird bath any more????    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  only 6 inches of snow on it...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: could set up my spearhouse on mine!!!!!!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Last Sunday there were scads of Eastern Bluebirds moving through the back yard.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
plenty of junco's and a bunch of small brown birds with white on wings and tail feathers,the size of fenches? robins and mourning doves left,cardinals and jay's are hoarding the feeders.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen a robin this morning yet but must of had 50 of them yesterday afternoon when it was snowing.