Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289529 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
those big fellers are fun to watch!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
we have one hear no and then.....yep there fun to see and big fellers too!!!!!!!

aint had much fer birds lately. :pouty: :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen a pileated here for many moons. Plenty of red-bellies, downies & hairies tho. Bird activity since the weather changed has been slowed here. Still plenty of chickadees, juncos, nuthatches, blue jays and cardinals. Still too many house sparrows. Rats with wings!  :angry:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Filled the bird feeders yesterday ahead of the deepest part of the cold snap. I've seen their tracks around the feeders but hadn't caught up to one until this a.m.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :smoking: :fudd: rooster stew!! :wowza: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It'd be Smurf stew if Mrs. Cheviot caught you shooting one of "her" precious rooster pheasants! You could always shoot the hens I guess... :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great Dotch.  Beautiful birds.  Wish there were more around here.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That was great HD.  Nice looking rooster.  Do they take off when you go out?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
darn nice looking bird, the tail is very long the way it looks!!  thought I could some in the background too...  they sure have been in the fields around here scratching for feed..   good video!! thanks!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
That was great HD.  Nice looking rooster.  Do they take off when you go out?
Most of the time, they just run to the tree line and wait till the coast is clear.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
He's a beauty! Do they set up territory to court the ladies like they do here? Looks like we've got one claiming dibs on the yard here already. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I know there's other roosters around (cause I see them in the hayfield) but this one is the one that always comes in. Usually he has a few girlfriends with him. The girls are more skidish when it comes to feeding under the bird feeders.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to see a few pheasants made it through our cold snap,yesterday with the temps in the 20's my cardinals were digging the warm snap in central minn,very vocal,sense spring in the air.

Last week at the farm in sodak pheasants (rooster's) were squaring off already,sharptails were coupled up as well.
« Last Edit: February 02/22/21, 08:38:46 AM by snow1 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Chickadees are doing their "fee-bee" spring call. There are a half dozen keeping the feeders hopping. Also a slowly building population of goldfinches being detected. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
This morning my cardinals were sure happy,they woke up when the sun started to peek on the eastern horizon,and the chickadee's all day long are busy like dotch called..."fee-bee" very vocal,soon we'll see canada geese migrating in to our state,the blizzard in texas will slow the snow goose migration some,but we're ready to roll when it starts.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Robins yesterday.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it is going to be an early spring.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
beginning to think so to.......and our perchapalooza might not happen???????/ :scratch: hope not.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Bet it will. I sure do like the longer days. Some of my best perch fishing has been in late March when the water is running down the ice holes. Granted I was younger and in much better shape.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Oh so your going to listen to silly Robin's who didn't know to fly south over the Ground Hog??  :doah: :doah: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
No Robins here.
The Pheasants are just starting to get feisty.
The Deer, Rabbits & Squirrels are under the bird feeders a lot.

I haven't had much for Turkeys this winter  :scratch: I wonder where those went?  :Turkey:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
No Robins here.
The Pheasants are just starting to get feisty.
The Deer, Rabbits & Squirrels are under the bird feeders a lot.

I haven't had much for Turkeys this winter  :scratch: I wonder where those went?  :Turkey:
Just yesterday I saw a whole group of like 15 Turkeys walking right in the middle of a busy street in the city of St Anthony, mn. So looks like your birds came down to the cities for the winter!  :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thinking about it I haven't many turkeys this winter either?..  interesting.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Turkeys here seem to pick on certain neighbors which is fine with me. They can raise hell with things around their yards from what they tell me. Saw a lone goose doing a flyby yesterday a.m. and this morning during chores we had our first robin. Didn't actually see it but their sound is pretty unmistakable. Plenty of cover, berries and crabapples  so they've got lots of places to hang out.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no robins here yet........and with an additional 4-5 inches of snow.......might be a while yet. reminds me maybe i should go and stalk up on some mealworms for when they do arrive.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been living here since 1979 and have just seen a first. Had an owl sitting in the neighbors tree across the street. Gave never seen them in town, up at the cabin Yea.

Have seen plenty of hawks, never an owl.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If you keep drinking that icky Cold Spring beer, you'll probably see all kinds of stuff!  :rolleyes:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
If you keep drinking that icky Cold Spring beer, you'll probably see all kinds of stuff!  :rolleyes:
Yea that ain't happening. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
when I was coming home from town this morning I seen one lone swan flying over...  great looking birds!!!