Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289864 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

He is a stink bug!  :cool:

Back on the bird front, left a week ago after filling the jelly feeders for the orioles. That lasted at most a couple days. Wasn't sure the orioles would still be here but heard one this a.m. during chores. Put some more jelly out and it wasn't more than an hour before seeing the first one. still quite a bunch here apparently. Hummingbirds are going nuts. So many flowers and the feeders have been refilled. Good times.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: August 08/21/21, 05:12:53 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Been kinda wondering if Roony's wrens are still around?? :scratch: haven't seen or heard them in a while.

Morning doves are sure noisy too, cardinals same thing
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Been kinda wondering if Roony's wrens are still around?? :scratch:

Gee, I sure hope so... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I saw something unexpected this morning in the barn at choretime: a nest of barn swallows that hadn't fledged yet. Sounded like bats (or glenn... :rotflmao:) squeaking at first, then located the sound coming from a nest in the rafters. There are still some barn swallows hanging around here but thought they were just passing through. Lots of swallows of all kinds grouping up on the powerlines around the countryside.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
A fledgling leaving the nest?! O goodie!!   :shocked: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

https://youtu.be/Cwxc_zLH560

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally got a better look at my tiny little hummingbird,not one ruby throated in my feeders this summer but this tiny feller appears to be a rufous hummingbird looking online,you guyz see them? very small and very fast.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gradually transitioning the bird feeding operation into fall mode. Scrubbed out the hummingbird feeders big time and refilled them. Did the same with the cups in the jelly feeder and put the last of the cheap jelly in them. Took down the jar type jelly feeder and cleaned it up for winter. Replaced it with a suet feeder. Saw an oriole yesterday and sure enough one showed up within a half hour of refilling their feeder. The last of the barn swallows started leaving the nest yesterday, finally. Looks like there's still one being coaxed by its parents and siblings that isn't real sure what it's up to just yet.  :scratch:   
« Last Edit: September 09/05/21, 12:14:14 PM by Dotch »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw two Bluejays out back this am. First I've seen all year; don't think they like the Cooper's zooming around. They sure have scared everything else away. :angry:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We yanked the Oriol feeders a couple of weeks ago here, nuttin but bee's on em. The hummers are still going strong but surprisingly we havnt seen many wrens this year, they're usually all over.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Filled the hummer feeder the other day cuz it really went down fast lately.  Had an Oriole sitting on it the other day too.  Still lots of chicadees and nuthatches around here and sapsuckers keep coming back too.  No grosbeaks for a long time now. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have nuthatches and black-capped chickadees in my spuce...seems they like the little needles on the end of a branch. They hop from there into my gutters, and scavenge around...*tap*tap*tap* Couldn't figger out what that noise was until I went out and looked!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We yanked the Oriol feeders a couple of weeks ago here, nuttin but bee's on em. The hummers are still going strong but surprisingly we havnt seen many wrens this year, they're usually all over.
Dats cause roony got all the wrens!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I need a bigger bird bath.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Keep them bastages up there!  :angry:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ya sure do!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the change of season sent my resident robins south or somewhere else a few weeks ago,seen dozens grouped up flocks every evening heading south from my neighborhood,last night new arrivals (robins) showed up scratching through the dead leaves along my property edges,my popple tree's dropped leaves last week,willow tree doing the same now,gold finches turning brown already,downies came back,nut hatches are very active,seem to be feeding on my feeder's and for meat hitting the box elder bug's,even tho I spray them some beeches they have daily orgies on my southern facing pole barn....Someone here on MNO suggested using dawn liquid soapy water in a sprayer,didn't work,before that had a big cluster I sprayed with the only thing handy WD-40...nope,even tried window glass cleaner,finally broke down and bought some kills all bug spray...mass murder... :smoking:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just gonna ask about the robins...I've got them everywhere this week, pokin' thru the leaves, tossing crap outta the gutters (all over the deck...%$#@!) and continually flying into my picture window. *THUD*BONK*
I swear, they haveta be the Homer Simpsons of the bird world....*THUD*  DOH!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL Reb,me thinks your robins are jacked up on your fermented crab apples....squirrels get a buzz on those apples as well,funny watching a drunk squrriel in my yard go from point A to point B when I let my trusting yard guard doggo golden retriever out.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not this year...it's the no-apple every other year. I've read at this time of year, and Spring, they're being territorial and attack their reflection. I think that's bunk; how do they see a reflection 40' away? They can't. They just fly straight into it. I think they're just stoopid. Or need glasses.  :bonk:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL most likely...This past summer I had a rooster pheasant kicking the shete out of himself on my truck bumper one morning whilst in south dakota,poor young rooster was a mess when he ambeled off after the fight,rest of the summer I kept my rear bumper dirty,it's more fun shooting mr rooster later in the year.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems my family of Cooper's are gone, as I haven't heard the continual KAK-KAK-KAK they did all day long. Now seeing lots of birdies...and some winter ones!  :scratch: Spotted a few juncos, a fair number of nuthatches (love the way they hang upside down) yellow warblers, my cardinals, and a bird I love (except when squirrel huntin') but haven't seen for years...bluejays. They're picking and cracking acorns.
It has to be the fact those Cooper's finally moved on outta here...and I sure don't miss 'em.
« Last Edit: September 09/28/21, 01:35:20 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been seeing lotsa wooden peckers lately, hammering on just about everything from my birches to my deck rails to my gutter's. *CLANG*CLANG*

Sept 29 (Reuters) - The ivory-billed woodpecker - not officially seen since 1944 and long sought by birders in the American South - is one of 23 species that would be declared extinct by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under a proposal it announced on Wednesday.

Government scientists have exhausted efforts to find these 23 bird, fish and other species and warned that climate change and dwindling habitats on top of other pressures, could make such disappearances more common, the service said in a statement.

"With climate change and natural area loss pushing more and more species to the brink, now is the time to lift up proactive, collaborative, and innovative efforts to save America's wildlife," said Deb Haaland, U.S. Secretary of the Interior.

Each of the 23 species represents a permanent loss to America's natural heritage, Bridget Fahey, who oversees species classification for the Fish and Wildlife Service, told the New York Times.

"And it's a sobering reminder that extinction is a consequence of human-caused environmental change," Fahey told the newspaper.

The extinctions include 11 birds, eight freshwater mussels, two species of fish, a bat and a plant, the agency said.

The ivory-billed woodpecker, also known to bird watchers as the "Lord God Bird" was America's largest woodpecker but logging of old growth forests in the South destroyed its habitat. Its last confirmed sighting was in 1944 in northeast Louisiana, the service said.

Also on the list is Bachman's warbler, considered one of America's rarest songbirds. It has not been seen since 1962 in the United States. The last documented sighting of the migratory bird was in Cuba in 1981.

Eleven species are proposed to be listed as extinct in Hawaii and the Pacific Islands, due to the heightened risks of limited geographic range, the service said.

The wildlife service will accept public comment for the next 60 days and a final judgment will be published Dec. 29, said Brian Hires, a service spokesman.

"These decisions are being made based on the best available science," he said.
« Last Edit: September 09/29/21, 02:17:03 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's one handsome bird.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone seeing any juncos yet?? Usually see a bunch when they start heading south

None here yet that I've seen.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We seen some last weekend up here.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
New group of robins showed up,ton's of chicadee's and finches lately,mourning doves every evening...

Reb seen an article recently regarding this ivory billed critter,seen a pic of a sighting by some birdie guy floating the byou's of LA.,claimed to be legit?

my old giant silver maple with a giant dead limb attracts many peeker types,even flickers feed on it and this guy,every spring he/she tears up the dead limb ,makes a mess before I mow every week.

Must be a relative of your ivory bill ?

« Last Edit: October 10/07/21, 01:11:10 PM by snow1 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a Pileated. One has a nest in neighbors rotting maple tree. Likes whacking on nearby phone pole, too.

Like I posted a few days back, have Juncos hopping around on the ground with the brain-dead robins.
« Last Edit: October 10/07/21, 12:56:33 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a Pileated. One has a nest in neighbors rotting maple tree. Likes whacking on nearby phone pole, too.

Like I posted a few days back, have Juncos hopping around on the ground with the brain-dead robins.
kinda why i asked..........i remember you saying that.....i havent seen any here yet and thought it odd you had some and none here????????

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman