Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298426 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
For the first time ever, we had a male and a female Cardinal at the same time. Never happened before.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sure enjoy those birds!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
For the first time ever, we had a male and a female Cardinal at the same time. Never happened before.
Wait til spring when he is feeding her...  Some guys will do anything for love.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
We've had feeders out for over 15 years. We buy good black oil sunflower seeds yet seldom see a cardinal. Maybe once a year.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they are ground feeders a lot..  and they love a bird bath!! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
We've had feeders out for over 15 years. We buy good black oil sunflower seeds yet seldom see a cardinal. Maybe once a year.
where you at TT????? here in cold spring i've seen 3 pair at a time at the feeders i have!!!!!!!

its totally awesome in the spring with no leaves on the trees seeing them on the tree tops just givin er!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Blue Earth County. Daughter lives in town. She has them all the time. We have lots of bluejays, woodpeckers, goldfinches, darkeyed juncos, nuthatches, chickadees and sparrows. Visits from cardinals are rare.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
They do like a wooded area??? :scratch: depends on what you feed them. They like sunflower and safflower seeds.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Blue Earth County. Daughter lives in town. She has them all the time. We have lots of bluejays, woodpeckers, goldfinches, darkeyed juncos, nuthatches, chickadees and sparrows. Visits from cardinals are rare.

what town??  left Mankato in the late 80's..   

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Kind of in the VC and Garden City area. Used to live in Mankato, too, till about 2004.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good country in that area, by a river maybe???

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
About 3 miles from The Blue Earth. Close to the Watonwan and Minnesota, too.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup some nice country..  so I have a decent idea where are and yup good area!!! 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The flicker is back! Further investigation revealed it's a female (no moustache) although those gals from Inger glenn cavorts with reputedly sport them! (Sorry, gunner made me say that)
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The flicker is back! Further investigation revealed it's a female (no moustache) although those gals from Inger glenn cavorts with reputedly sport them! (Sorry, gunner made me say that)
:tut: :pouty: you do know the mail goes south to... Right,!! :smoking: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The usual Nuthatchers have been hitting the feeders pretty much all day but this morning there was a male and female purple finch that dined on the Midwest blend. Yeah I had no idea what they were until I looked em up.. I need to go get a bird book..lol.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The usual Nuthatchers have been hitting the feeders pretty much all day but this morning there was a male and female purple finch that dined on the Midwest blend. Yeah I had no idea what they were until I looked em up.. I need to go get a bird book..lol.
just a heads up boober.........if you do get a bird book, make sure its of Minnesota birds......... :happy1:

our bird feeders have been quiet  lately.  :doah: :confused:

therewas a neat article in this weeks outdoor news at the back about grosbeaks.... and there declining population.......i was bummed..........

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm always bummed :angry2: :thumbs: :pouty:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
up until our last cold snap.had a couple robins scratching out back,not sure what they call these black faced littke chickadee's,nuthatches,then a big ole red cardinal showed up yesterday,brilliant red,good to see.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Spied both rooster pheasants yesterday so all is well in the world once again. I have some spare ears of corn I'll donate to their cause when the cold snap starts up again.  :cold: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Finches are hungry this morning....

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
cool!!!!!!!!!!!  :happy1: :happy1:

we have flurries of a bunch for a few days, then just stragglers........ :doah: :doah:

but i've noticed a damn hawk flying around lately!!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our bird feeder is full of little birds today. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
fun to watch them!!   :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Definitely an uptick in finch numbers here recently. Rooster pheasants move through the yard daily and we have 3 male cardinals hanging around. Was a group of  ~10 cedar waxwings feeding in the Indian magic crabapple tree during breakfast.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've never seen a Cedar Waxwing here. Must be a southern bird?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've never seen a Cedar Waxwing here. Must be a southern bird?
HD your more apt to see them if you have trees that have some kind of berry on them,like a mountain ash, maybe crab apple??

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Cedar waxwing s hammer the choke cherries in our yard in late summer. Don't see them up here in the winter though.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've got choke cherries on one of the property lines and a couple dozen crabapple trees.... never seen one.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to see some when we lived in Becker too. I start watching the choke cherry trees when I see the berries start to disappear.  Maybe they are just sneaky for you.
Hey look your bobber is up!