Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289626 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw a black and white warbler while I was eating lunch. Looked like a nuthatch wearing striped pajamas.  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Weii it had to happen. Saw a flocking wren this mornin

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bugtussle overflow perhaps... :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got in on the indigo bunting action this a.m.  :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And I saw some orioles this morning.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
And I saw some orioles this morning.

just seen one and he was singing away!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I thought someone dumped some "Peeps" on the ground.....  :scratch:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
We've got a bunch around to!!👍 Haven't congregated like that though.

Sure wish da hell Roony quit hoarding all the wrens!! :pouty: :smoking: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wrens are great!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/12/22, 08:19:40 AM by LPS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen our 1st hummingbird here yday when I was over havin a beer with the neighbor. :cool: Feeders have been up for over a week &thought I noticed 1 looked like it was down a little the last couple days. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw our first one right before the wife went to work.   :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I better get our hummer feeder out then.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No new arrivals at the feeders so far today. Have several male rose-breasted grosbeaks hitting the sunflower feeders. Been so windy lately I have to take their favorite feeder down overnite or it blows it out of the tree. This morning there was a wild turkey waiting for me to put it back out.  :doah:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok bird experts, need your thoughts. I got these from my mom thinking as some kind of a decoration in the garden, BUT think these would scare or chase the other birds away?????

Yea the eyes on them look like boar when I catch another fish!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure wouldn't hurt.  May work for awhile.  Move them around or take them in for awhile and put them back out if they get used to them. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, got some orioles and hummingbirds hanging around.    Yesterday saw this.   Looks a lot like an oriole but more yellow, and a little smaller.   this just a female oriole or something else.   Was eating jelly.

They don't seem picky about which feeder they use, the oriole feeder or hummer feeder.   

Sorry about picture being a little fuzzy.    cell phone out the kitchen window

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Anybody got a way to terminate crows in the yard?   They are too jumpy for the pellet gun....

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
First hummingbird did a fly-by Monday night thur the garage. Orioles and finches showed up Wednesday.
mm

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have our first orioles here this morning.  Two or three of them.  :happy1: The male is pecking away on our suet right now. 
« Last Edit: May 05/13/22, 07:39:47 AM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea i dont see any effect of this bird flu..........i probably got more birds around this spring then ever before!!!!!!!! :happy1:

except wrens.......Roony's hoarding them apparently!!!!!!! :pouty: :evil: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok bird experts, need your thoughts. I got these from my mom thinking as some kind of a decoration in the garden, BUT think these would scare or chase the other birds away?????

Yea the eyes on them look like boar when I catch another fish!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:
I've seen something very similar to those on the lake here, glenn. It looks to me like some are using them to protect their docks & lift canopies from becoming an outhouse for gulls & other unwanted birds IMO. :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea i put them up along the edge of my garage close to the building. not sure if it just happened to be there werent alot of birds around at the moment or not but i didnt see many birds. i did take them down for now?????

still undecided  :scratch: :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
From what I can tell del it's probably an immature male. Just in the past couple days, have seen more immatures. The females for both the orchard and Baltimore orioles have also arrived.

Those owls might work on some birds glenn but when guys I know have put them in pole barns and such, usually the house sparrows crap all over them! :rotflmao:

I agree about the bird flu glenn. I'd like to send a video clip of the bird activity in our backyard to the lady at the Raptor Center. Right now it's like a 3 ring circus between the orioles, goldfinches, grosbeaks, chickadees, cardinals, wrens, woodpeckers and hummingbirds. Never seen a spring where we had more birds overall than this one. Had to put the jelly jar feeder out because the dish feeder couldn't keep up. Bought sugar and cheap jelly at the grocery store yesterday. The lady just laughed when I brought it to the checkout. She likes to feed the birds too. :happy1:   

« Last Edit: May 05/13/22, 11:17:58 AM by Dotch »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Also have chickadees at the hummingbird feeder and the jelly dish

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Also have chickadees at the hummingbird feeder and the jelly dish
Pretty soon...

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
This is where I put them. Put them back up this morning while I was outside. Went in to grab something to eat and watched. Didn't seem to phase the birds so there staying  :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've got a question... I was thinking about putting some of these up by the pond. I see some of the purple martins are using some of my wood duck houses.

The question is, is there maintenance with these? Do they need to be cleaned every year?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My mom has a bunch of them and purple martins in them. They work and is supposed to be the new in thing for martins.

And NO, you don't clean out a martin house ever!!

Clean them out if something else nests in it but MOT if a purple Martin shacks up in one!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finally, some tree swallows here. Now I gotta make the circuit and see if I need to boot any sparrows or smurfs out of their birdhouses!  :doah:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen a green heron yesterday!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!