Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289480 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Things have slowed off here as well, a few stragglers yet I believe their cow birds have shown up ( black body with a brown head) . Last weekend at the cabin we went thru a big jar of jelly and several oranges with the orioles,  they were flat out going nuts. We get quite a few Wrens also out yonder, the sad news one hit a window and didn't make it.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have seen them some other years.  SO are they considered good birds or bad birds?
« Last Edit: May 05/18/22, 05:51:13 PM by LPS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Bad birds - "circle of life" not withstanding.  The females lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and the cowbird chick out-competes the other chicks.

I notice 4 male and 2 female cowbirds picking thru the grass in the back yard.  The males were in a line sort of following a female.  Every once in a while a male would lean forward and fluff our his feathers and I realized it was a courtship dance.  It must have been a bit early because none of the females was particularly interested.

Then, all of a sudden, a robin swoops down and chases the whole lot of cowbirds out of the yard.  She must have had a nest nearby and didn't appreciate mating cowbirds in the area.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok I do remember hearing that now that you mentioned it.  Glad we haven't seen any yet then.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
See a few cowbirds here occasionally. Most of the time they're following the grazing sheep around waiting for them to kick up insects. Have found their eggs in chipping sparrow nests from time to time. They get tossed when that happens. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks to Google and the new book, but had a female red wing black bird at the feeder. She wasn't shy by any means, photo after photo kinda like Glenn's garage wall ladies!!  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good point.  So a cowbird must look like a female Red Wing Blackbird.  Is that close? Or a cross between that and a grackle?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Good point.  So a cowbird must look like a female Red Wing Blackbird.  Is that close? Or a cross between that and a grackle?
Yea kinda, and like the grackles, not one you want around your feeders,there mean .

I better hide them walk pictures better  :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya grackles are terrible. Only thing that seems to be meaner then the grackles is the blue Jays. And they don't empty the feeder in 3 days.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Filled the feeders here at the cabin. Lot of yellow finches, a pair of red breasted grosbeak AND t Scarlett tanager!!! :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You and HD get all the good tanagers... :pouty:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
My robins are actively protecting my yard,they team up and attack grackles that make the mistake of foraging in my yard,they even chase off other robins that feed on my back 40.Very territorial.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been watching the pair of redheaded woodpeckers that have made a dead elm a home just roughly 50 feet from our home. I sure hope things work out so I can see the young ones after they hatch. I was going to cut that tree up this spring, glad I didn't get that job done.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's great to hear. :happy1: Haven't seen the red-head here recently but think I've heard it squawk. Still lots of orioles, more immatures along with adult males of both species. On a pace to eat a couple jars of grape jelly a week.
« Last Edit: May 05/25/22, 09:24:35 AM by Dotch »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Another thing I like about the Red-headed Woodpeckers is that they HATE wrens.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man are there alot of yellow finches up here. Also seen an indigo bunting! :happy1: :mooning:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't even find grape jelly around here.  All sold out.  A lady we talked to said her daughter made some using pectin and grape juice and sugar.  We are researching that. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to know. We are going to need more too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Need to make a run to see if I can find some jelly meself. The orioles are blowing thru it faster than I thought. I haven't seen them at the jelly feeder but we've had a whole passel of cedar waxwings, again. They like to hang out in the hackberry tree then fly off to parts unknown. No idea what that's all about but there sure are a bunch of them.  :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Last week at the store we got a bunch in. Went off the shelf as fast as it was put on.

Week before some lady took 2 whole cases, jars come 12 to a case . :confused:

Some are using the jam but don't know if they eat that???

Birds are kinda scarce around here now!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So I thought I would drill out the holes in one of our hummingbird feeders so the orioles could use it.  I have looked at a hundred sites and noone says what size of hole to drill.  Anyone know?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So I thought I would drill out the holes in one of our hummingbird feeders so the orioles could use it.  I have looked at a hundred sites and noone says what size of hole to drill.  Anyone know?
just go order one from Amazon!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning: or a real live store. there not that spendy............or did the wife shut you down!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just take a drill bit and stick it in the hole till you find one that wont fit then figure out out how big to drill it out...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
just take a drill bit and stick it in the hole till you find one that wont fit then figure out out how big to drill it out...

Ok thanks.  LOL

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So, are the cow birds, the black birds with the brown heads?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like the one with its butt facing the camera is a male cowbird

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, now I will know.