Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 601487 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can see him going to a team like mentioned with a strong O line.  But they also must have a shot at the big one.  Not sure who that would be.  The common thought is San Fran but they seem to be doing good with Purdy.  If he gets hurt again they are done for. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The guy without a helmet last week got fined yday.  :rolleyes:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Heard the Vikings were going to roll out new uniforms that look like the Gophers in style and color.

Just kidding, but it's as likely as Cousins getting traded.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Lets hope we can win the battle of the basement today. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree db, he's said he plans to finish the season in Mn.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Trouble is with the Vikes getting their next QB...  Da Bears  :blues brothers: have much more experience at this tanking thing than the Vikings.

The Vikes think...

If we could just beat the best team in football next Monday night - when Kirk NEVER plays his best,
Then we would be 3 - 4, which is almost like being .500,
And sometimes there are teams that make it into the playoffs with when they are one game over .500,
Even without Justin Jefferson for over a month, a running game, or a cohesive offensive line,
So let's circle the wagons and go for it!   :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

The Bears hoped they had the answer in Justin fields, but don't.  They'll be happy to lose the rest of their games and draft their next QB.

'Cept they won't lose them all, because I still predicted a split with the Vikings.   :scratch: :rotflmao: :bonk:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Last year we all know was a lot of luck.  This year the other teams know what we are going to do before we do it, especially the runs. Passes we have a better chance usually.  We got hosed big time on the Hockenson deal.  The Lions are still laughing at that deal.  He may not even be worth half of what we paid and there are a lot of better guys out there.  Kirk takes so long before he throws the ball that I don't know if any line can hold that long.  He sure is accurate though. Make Flores the head coach and let KOC be the QB coach.   

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I got no answers.  Those were just my knee-jerk, typical goof-ball fan reaction takes offered up for entertainment purposes.  I do want to see the Vikes win.

And I do know that every person in every NFL locker room wants to win.  Its just some guys want it more, are willing do do more, and sacrifice more to get there.  And teams that have the right combination of commitment, talent, and leadership will contend.  We can agree or disagree on what the Vikes lack this year, but it seems clear from the outside that they are missing something.

For fans, a team's next winning formula can never come soon enough.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Hockenson is tied with the KC guy for the most receptions for a TE, except he's played 1 more game. If he stays healthy & keeps up his current pace, he will have 100 catches along with 900-1000 yds. :confused:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Doesn't seem like it.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
6 games and Vikes do not have a rushing TD yet.

They are tied for the fewest rushing first downs.

Now lost Def End Davenport for 4-6 weeks with high ankle sprain.

Trade deadline 2 weeks away. If they get clobbered by the Niners.....Hunter will be traded. Smith should go also. Trade Cousins if he agrees to go to a contender.

« Last Edit: October 10/17/23, 10:12:14 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Hockenson is tied with the KC guy for the most receptions for a TE, except he's played 1 more game. If he stays healthy & keeps up his current pace, he will have 100 catches along with 900-1000 yds. :confused:
I guess the rap on Hock is that he had some drops, balls that hit him in the hands he didn't catch, and he missed some blocks.

With a downgrade at the running back position, how many years in a row with a sub-par, patch work, injured offensive line, the WR1 on IR, and more turnovers than you can shake a stick at, this 2023 offense has zero margin for error.  Hockenson's mistakes stand right out there with the rest of them.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
They need to let this season go, if by a prayer they make the playoff, they cant compete, 1 an done.
They should put in the rookies, give them play time to develop, have a loosing season and get high in the draft
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I'm pretty sure Hockenson isn't real happy with his own play, since they're not winning. He has 11 more targets than catches & on about 1/2 of those Cousins is getting hit as he's getting rid of the ball.  :scratch: I'm not so sure about the downgrade at RB either. Have you seen what Cook is doing for the NYJ?  In fairness to him, he's not playing much but https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3116593/dalvin-cook  :confused:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those are not good stats for him.  39 rushes for 109 yards.  I want to see more of the new guy too. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm pretty sure Hockenson isn't real happy with his own play, since they're not winning. He has 11 more targets than catches & on about 1/2 of those Cousins is getting hit as he's getting rid of the ball.  :scratch: I'm not so sure about the downgrade at RB either. Have you seen what Cook is doing for the NYJ?  In fairness to him, he's not playing much but https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3116593/dalvin-cook  :confused:
I couldn't agree more about Hockenson/Cousins.  No one is tougher on players than the players themselves - 'cept maybe even tougher coaches - and there seem to be less of those in the league every year.

If Cook was still on the team, we wouldn't say the position was downgraded.  We'd probably be saying Cook lost a step.  But since the Vikings made the move, and they were hoping to get the same or better performance for less money - and they aren't - I think it is fair to say the RB position is downgraded.

RB is a tricky skill position for fans to understand.  Some guys just have a knack to see holes AND get to them before they close.  I'll be the best RBs see those holes before they open up - kinda like Larry Bird or Michael Jordon seeing the whole court at once and knowing what will happen before it does.  But RB is a brutal position, and if you don't have the quickness to hit those holes anymore, vision will only get you so far.

Elite running backs can make a mediocre OL look functional in the run game.  And a superior OL can make an average RB look like a star.  Right now the Vikes have nether.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Christian Darrisaw and Brian O'Neill are the highest graded players at their respective positions through six weeks this season, according to Pro Football Focus

With Jefferson the best receiver in football the Vikes would be a great place for a young QB to get drafted next spring. :happy1: :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
But for Jefferson to be willing to resign with the Vikes...  they are only one franchise QB, one RB1, three above-average offensive linemen, and a whole starting defense - away from being real contenders next year.   :bonk:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SSHHHH   What if JJ reads this site.  Don't talk him into leaving.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I'll disagree, I think the Vikings have a average running back at best. I don't see the Vikings being a team that wants to run. I think they would be happy with 50 yards a game if the running backs kept Cousins upright with good blocking. Remember which coaching tree KOC comes from.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Cook is on a 1 yr/$8.6 mil deal, Mattison is on a 2 yr/$7 mil deal. So, an extra year of team control while saving $5+ mil & not to mention the difference in production this season. :scratch: That sounds like a good move to me, especially with the Vikes salary cap issues to start this last off season. :confused:
« Last Edit: October 10/18/23, 08:15:02 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree that the RB move made sense.  The Vikes had to do something.  But no one thought that they'd get so little out of the run game this year.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, they're only averaging 75 yds/gm on ~ 19 carries, which has 'em #30 in the league. :sad: Surprisingly :scratch:, they are #3 in passing, behind only Miami & KC, with almost 264 yds/gm. Cousins is at his best doing play action & rolling out IMO. Pretty sure it wouldn't hurt the "D" either if they didn't have to be on the field for 2/3 of the game every week too.
« Last Edit: October 10/19/23, 08:30:32 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
On a more positive note, it looks like the kick return team could be better this week. https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/vikings-made-3

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Report: Vikings 'open for business' ahead of trade deadline

Twin Cities sports insider Darren Wolfson, of 5 Eyewitness News, said he received a text message from an AFC front office executive who said they are "getting the sense that the Vikings are very much, even after Sunday's win, very much open for business."

Wolfson said he's not hearing anything about quarterback Kirk Cousins, which makes sense after Adam Schefter reported last weekend that Cousins does not plan to waive his no-trade clause and therefore would finish the season with the Vikings before becoming a free agent in March.

:popcorn:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll be VERY surprised if Adofo-Mensah has the cajones to make a block-buster deal at the trade deadline.  All the sports writers say he's always gotten the short end of the stick in the deals he's made.  A huge mistake at this point in his tenure could shorten it dramatically.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes......his 2022 draft was a disaster. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Here it comes... :doah: :embarrassed:

Is the price for Danielle Hunter a mid-round draft pick?

Danielle Hunter's name being in the trade rumor mill is nothing new, but the Vikings receiving anything short of a first-round pick for him seemed ludicrous until a couple of esteemed media outlets started suggesting a mid-round pick could be enough to get Minnesota to agree to a deal.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
1st round pick for sure.  OR a couple of 2nds..  ??

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Here it comes... :doah: :embarrassed:

Is the price for Danielle Hunter a mid-round draft pick?

Danielle Hunter's name being in the trade rumor mill is nothing new, but the Vikings receiving anything short of a first-round pick for him seemed ludicrous until a couple of esteemed media outlets started suggesting a mid-round pick could be enough to get Minnesota to agree to a deal.

What esteemed media outlets would this be? Joe & Petes basement podcast? At this time of the year it's wannabe's tossing mud against the walls hoping to get something to stick.

We are all old enough to know better than to believe anything you hear or read prior to the deadline unless it comes directly from the NFL office that the trade has been approved.