Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 92509 times)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Yeah Glenn.....I pulled most of my first radishes yesterday.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pulled the last of our radishes yesterday. Was a nice crop & shared a bunch with others. Radishes were extra crispy this year for some reason. Planting tomatoes, beans, cukes & some 4 o'clocks & cannas for the hummingbirds tonite. Good thing I saved the 4 o'clock seed from last year's planting. None to be had at the local grocery store display where I've been buying them for years. Kept the red one's separate from the mixed colors except I don't remember which bunch is which. Guess we'll find out...   :scratch: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Delayed planting a day as it was pretty windy. Got everything in the ground last night & Mrs. Cheviot planted the tomatoes this a.m. Timing should be about ideal with rain coming in later today.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I gotta get my butt out there and get my mater stands put up, they got a little big in my absence!!!! :pouty: :pouty: as well as the weeds!!!!!!! :angry2: :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :violin: :violin: :violin: :cry: :cry: :cry:                                                                                                                 :tut: :nerd: :nerd:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got my cans off the maters and racks around all 23 plants. did a little weeding and raked up a bunch of them helicopters from my maple tree to the tune of one of the lawn waste barrels 3/4 full.

i need to go back  work!!!!!!!!! :confused: :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Been a different year here, our 3 maples didn't spit out many helicopters,  usually I'm up on the roof with the blower twice, not this year... been kinda nice. Was thinking on adding more fertilizer soon to the garden maybe this weekend.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Been a different year here, our 3 maples didn't spit out many helicopters,  usually I'm up on the roof with the blower twice, not this year... been kinda nice. Was thinking on adding more fertilizer soon to the garden maybe this weekend.
:happy1: :happy1:  yeppers, with a new just started garden like that wont hurt, just not to much. I try to get it on right before a rain!!!!!!!

I got enough of those helicopters to give ya some...…….just sayin!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm getting a few of them but nothing like past years too..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I also noticed there weren't as many as past years...……...Mike.....I got enough yet to share with both boober and you!!!!!! :smoking: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they be all yours!!!  but thanks!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: :happy1:  yeppers, with a new just started garden like that wont hurt, just not to much. I try to get it on right before a rain!!!!!!!

I got enough of those helicopters to give ya some...…….just sayin!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I have lots of 10-10-10, and some miracle grow with a higher nitrogen # which I've never used. You guys think the 10 10 10 be OK lightly on it all?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I have lots of 10-10-10, and some miracle grow with a higher nitrogen # which I've never used. You guys think the 10 10 10 be OK lightly on it all?
yep......usually what I use. others  can chime in, i'm open to learn new things.

last year I used the Milorganite and really liked it, even for my lawn. I was told golf courses use it for there greens, but fleet farm aint giving it away this year like last year!!!!

another thing I do with maters...…..once they start bearing...…..about every 4th watering I add a TBLSP of Epsom salt. once the cukes start I add some extra fertilizer now and then too!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Want me to mail you some more of those licorice jelly beans glenn?  :rotflmao:

Well I lied. Mrs. Cheviot had one more spot for a tomato plant. Every place she went was sold out yesterday so she almost pulled the trigger on a zucchini. I went to Albert's Leaf, ordered a new pair of glassses, got some ointment for Ruby's eye then stopped at The A.L. Weed House to see if they had any maters. They had a wide selection of healthy looking maters and some zucchini to boot. Got a 4 pack of romas & zucchinis so now we'll have to find spots for them. Both are nice additions to shish kebobs.  :happy1:     

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Well I lied. Mrs. Cheviot had one more spot for a tomato plant. Every place she went was sold out yesterday so she almost pulled the trigger on a zucchini. I went to Albert's Leaf, ordered a new pair of glassses, got some ointment for Ruby's eye then stopped at The A.L. Weed House to see if they had any maters. They had a wide selection of healthy looking maters and some zucchini to boot. Got a 4 pack of romas & zucchinis so now we'll have to find spots for them. Both are nice additions to shish kebobs.  :happy1:     
nope...….. :tut: :tut: send them to boober!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I still have a few radishes left. Will need to be pulled soon and replanted.... just to much crap going on.
The beets, corn, cucumbers, green beans and peppers are doing good.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

The one time I planted romas, I had the worst blight or whatever I ever had.   I don't think my garden ever recovered.   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

nope...….. :tut: :tut: send them to boober!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Get me his address & I'll mail him some! Think he'd like a mask too?  :rotflmao:

Del: They've got resistance to races 1&2 of fusarium, verticillium wilt and tomato mosaic virus. If no preventative fungicide is applied, they get septoria or anthracnose & the weather stays damp, they're apt to be goners in this climate anyway.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess I needed to spray my tomatoes.   I sprayed apples but not tomatoes.   Now I only spray weeds... except I did spray some spruce trees with fungicide for the first time ever this year.  They were looking pretty ratty and guy next door told me to use a fungicide on them.   So I did.   One more treatment right before I go north.   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
OK, now I really am done planting, hopefully until late July - early August. Put all four Roma's in along with the four pack of zucchini tonite. Beautiful nite to plant with a nice breeze. Good to get them in as the wind let up and the skeeters came out with a vengeance.  :angry:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm done now also. Except for 2 more batches of corn on the 15th and once more on the 25th. Keeping ahead of the weeds now and pests. Found the first Colorado Potatoes Beetles today.

I have a Juneberry hedge and they are loaded. Have  netting over them to keep the birds from getting them all.

Strawberries now have berries on them. Netting over them next week also.

Peas are starting to bloom. Won't be long.
« Last Edit: June 06/11/20, 02:54:53 PM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my garden, rubarb/winter onion patch, and horseradish patch is also all weeded finally. now I need to go get some grass clippings for around my cukes and mater plants.

but holy moly rocky is it ever dry  :pouty: :pouty: :doah:...…….need to give it a really good drink yet tonight.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I pulled the last of the radishes....
Saturday, the next crop will go in.

I need to run the cultivator between the corn rows, but will have to wait till Boar picks up his fishing equipment.

oh, well......no rest for the wicked......  :pouty:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gonna meet the knucklehead, boar in little falls. I won't hold him up to long!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So far I've managed to stay ahead of the weeds.  Deer are eating the plants on the pumpkin hill (not protected by fencing)

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice......looks like a big onion crop on the horizon. :hubba: :hubba:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure about anyone else, but this supposed rain tomorrow can't get here soon enough. Getting old coming home from work and seeing leaves on the plants drooping. Been watering every nite too.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here.....just so we don't get hale. :angry2: :angry2:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure about anyone else, but this supposed rain tomorrow can't get here soon enough. Getting old coming home from work and seeing leaves on the plants drooping. Been watering every nite too.

The key phrase here is:  getting old coming home from work!    :sleazy:   Mayhaps you would rather stay home and have another cup of coffee and think about what you should do first today.   AND that does take some getting used to. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

The key phrase here is:  getting old coming home from work!    :sleazy:   Mayhaps you would rather stay home and have another cup of coffee and think about what you should do first today.   AND that does take some getting used to.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: I see what you did there. :rotflmao: