Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: It has begun... pickles!  (Read 9287 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got 6 jars done today!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice HD!! We were gone for 4 days and our first batch got a little big. Hoping to find some dill tomorrow to salvage these guys.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good eats coming up there for ya all!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree. They look delish!  :happy1: Our meager attempt at cukes are just starting to set fruit now.  :doah:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have picked 4 or 5 now for slicers.  Great salad.  I am going to do a white sauce cuke, onion thing tomorrow. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
We have picked 4 or 5 now for slicers.  Great salad.  I am going to do a white sauce cuke, onion thing tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to cukes in a sauce!!!!  mayo my go to!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am going over to a farm that raises lots of good veggies tomorrow.  I am getting 50 lbs instead of 40 which means 50 qts of pickles.  I also ordered 20 lbs of carrots for smoothies.  They are great for that.  Also lots of garlic and dill too.  May have to get more onions too. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got back from the produce farm.  They have a lot of stuff.  They only had 35 lbs of pickles for me though.  SO I asked what is that growing there.  He said that is basil.  People buy it to put in ice cream.......   ???   I asked if they just sprinkle it on top and he said most people stir it in so it is everywhere in the ice cream.  He said it is actually pretty good.  I just can't wrap my head around that flavor combo...

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Just got back from the produce farm.  They have a lot of stuff.  They only had 35 lbs of pickles for me though.  SO I asked what is that growing there.  He said that is basil.  People buy it to put in ice cream.......   ???   I asked if they just sprinkle it on top and he said most people stir it in so it is everywhere in the ice cream.  He said it is actually pretty good.  I just can't wrap my head around that flavor combo...
can you go back and get more. down this way we usually need to put are name on a list and you tell they how much you want and they call you when your name comes up.

i grow my own dill, so...............
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes he said they got too big for pickles and I can get more in a few days or a week. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
did you 3 qts of pickled green beans last nite, got 6 total now. nice goodies for the dead of winter!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
did you 3 qts of pickled green beans last nite, got 6 total now. nice goodies for the dead of winter!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Glenn, I hope you got your tetanus shot before you started canning?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:pouty: :pouty: i'm up to date....thanks coop for the reminder!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: and i aint going there!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

:applause: :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO in case you missed it.  The veggie farmer said people buy basil to put in their ice cream.  As I asked do they sprinkle some on top?   He said no they put enough on the ice cream and mix it in.  SO there is a good jag of basil in their ice cream!  Glenn you are the chosen one to try it!  Let us know how it works out. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
SO in case you missed it.  The veggie farmer said people buy basil to put in their ice cream.  As I asked do they sprinkle some on top?   He said no they put enough on the ice cream and mix it in.  SO there is a good jag of basil in their ice cream!  Glenn you are the chosen one to try it!  Let us know how it works out.
:tut: :tut: not I. :tut: :tut:

That sounds like something for that ditch feller to try. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: July 07/29/20, 07:47:46 PM by glenn57 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So how long do you let your pickles sit before you try them out Glenn? 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So how long do you let your pickles sit before you try them out Glenn?
minimum 3-4 months. Gotta let it all meld!! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh NO!  I was hoping you would say a month.  I know the longer the better but it is hard to wait.  We try to go 2 months.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I would think 2 should be good. I usually have some of the previous years models I use first so my newest batch does sit that long. :happy1:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Any of you guys ever try doing the dill pickles in the crock thing? My Father in law used to make them that way and they were some of the best pickles I ever had. A lot of time invested in making them.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I would think 2 should be good. I usually have some of the previous years models I use first so my newest batch does sit that long. :happy1:

that makes no sense to me..  when you refrigerator pickles you don't have to wait that long..   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good point Mike.  And JB that sounds great but have never done it and my Grandma did the qt jar thing too.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

that makes no sense to me..  when you refrigerator pickles you don't have to wait that long..
i was referring to canned pickles you ding dong!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao:

but even the cukes i make in the 2 gallon jars i let set for 2 months!!!! there's definetley a difference in flavor  the longer you let them set!!!!!!

you just stick to  playing wit your meat!!!!!!! :sleazy: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

morning bud!!!!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Will rust come off canning jar rings with steel wool? Asking for a friend... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Will rust come off canning jar rings with steel wool? Asking for a friend... :scratch:
:pouty: :crazy: :confused: training-087 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

you fellers can give me all the sheet you want. :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :kiss:

i little rust shows exprience, experitze, longivitey, and OK, maybe i'm a bit of a tight wad. but as long as that lid performs its basic function of the job its intended to do, no reason to toss it. :mooning:

and just for the record...........i have thrown out at least 2 dozen rings in the past year and actually had to go buy more!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 You're welcome!  :happy1:  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: July 07/30/20, 11:00:03 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just finished pickling 3 more qts of green beans, 2- 2 gallon jars and 1-1 gallon jar of cucumber. :happy1:

Momma bailed on this morning again, she barely is gone and she calls. :pouty: tells me there's  free cukes not far from home.  Took them all!! :happy1: :evil:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got another 6 done this morning...2 of them, were made with some ghost chilli's for a little extra heat....  :laugh:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!