Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: so, now its mom.......  (Read 15806 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
my brother was out at our stepdads in new richmond bow hunting.

long story short, he called me tonight to let me know mom wasnt looking so good! seems her skin is a bit yellow. find out she has had some testing done, blood work, and they found  a few thigs not quite right that leads toward liver issues.

anyway, tuesday morning she goes in for an ultra sound. she insists noone needs to go with.....but i will be there wether she wants me there or not. she thinks not eating anything is going to help, something with her intestines. i think its nerves or stress!!!!! anyway she's coming home tomorrow and i'm gonna have a face to face talk.

i'm going to try and convince her to authorize the doctors to give us information.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
totally agree.. a gal from the area has jaundice, not good and I hope your Mom can get help!!!  good luck bud!!!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Prayers for mom. 
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Prayers for mom. 
Same here, hoping for the best & don't let her shut the rest of you out.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Prayers and hugs!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
tough deal glenn,sorry to hear,if it's liver (jauntice) which it most likely is,I went thru this with my gal,her eyes actually yellowed,meds helped a bunch,hopefully she'll be fine glenn,aging....ugh.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hoping for the best for your Mom Glenn!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck for your Mom Glenn!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck from me also Glenn.
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1:THANKS guyz, yea i didnt sleep so well last night...................a million things running through your head!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57 - Sorry to hear about your mom. Yes you should get her to sign a health care directive. Of course you may have to convince her that it doesn't mean you get to pull the plug whenever you want. I don't mean to make light of the situation but it's a big concern and stops many older folks from signing a health care directive.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Deadeye I believe she had that already. I'm talking the authorization, think HIPPA, so the doctors will tell us what is going on.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that authorization is required each time and or with each entity. But I will ba asking.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Maybe use this one.

What is a Medical Power of Attorney?
A Medical Power of Attorney is a document used to appoint someone to make medical decisions on your behalf.

A Medical Power of Attorney is also known as:

Health Care Power of Attorney
Health Care Proxy
Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
Power of Attorney Medical

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agree with D.E.  do it now glenn power of attorny health directive,your mother can declare her healthcare if she should become incompacitated....recently went thru this with my dad in senior care,it gives you control as situation's arise,and they will.,you can wing the POA yourself or seek legal consel ,I'm not that smart so legal consulation gave me piece of mind,I also recommend the POA in order to act as mother's attorney minnesota statue 523.23,then submitt this copy to your mothers bank unless you are on her account as joint.

Also I was nieve about filing the proper will in the state of minnesota,glad I had an att'y to set me straight,thought the will was just a hand scratch'd paper for who get's what when the time comes,signed by my father.

Guessing your mom is pushing 90 glenn,tough deal watching our parents age,after dealing with my 93yr old dad/dementia recently,I'm not keen on getting much older,dang body started falling apart at 65 several years ago,not like a young buck that will bounce back after a hiccup or two,It was a major chore getting my dad in a home,he fought us kids the entire way, it was the memories of our house,then when we tricked him  to the home it took two months for him to realize he's not going home,old fart offered me cash to take him home at times before it finally sank in,heart breaking really.
« Last Edit: October 10/25/21, 01:01:05 PM by snow1 »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I am health care power of attorney for my mother. I have access to any information she would have access to. I also have power to make decisions regarding her care.
Good luck with your mother Glenn.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
She already has that all set up. My dad was pretty good at getting things in order and when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer early on he made sure all things were in order.

Since I'm the #2 son  :confused: :rotflmao: I'm sure my brother is most things. She did tell me the medical info is in both our names this morning.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good luck glenn! Hope all goes well for your mom.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Hoping for the best for your Mom Glenn.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck to Mom!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys. We are back already from the ultrasound, they said an hour, 20 minutes after they took her back we where headed to the door.

Guess they are sending it to st cloud to have someone read it, then send it to her doctor. Could have a meeting with the doctor by noonish.

She did look in better spirits today then yesterday

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57,
regarding them sending the ultrasound to another location for review. Probably not an issue with your mother but we did run into a money issue with this a few years back. You know how annual physicals and some diagnostics (mammogram) are generally no cost IN network. Well the clinic sent them to another location NOT in the network and we were billed for them reading the mammogram.  It took a bit and a number of call but I did manage to get the charge reversed. As if you don't have enough to worry about they throw in another wrinkle. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Deadeye, the ultrasound was done at the paynsvelle hospital, part of the Centracares system which does include the st cloud hospital where they sent it to a gastroenterologist I think to read.

Mom has never complained about her insurance, she used to work for the school district here and dad the Burlington northern RR, so from what I know she's pretty well taken care of insurance wise.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57,
That's great.  It's something to note for anyone. You just have to keep on top of these thing.  ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
glenn57,
That's great.  It's something to note for anyone. You just have to keep on top of these thing.  ;)
oh yea, did my fair share of that!🥴

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Good info D.E. all this info on a outdoor site....thanx once again D.E.

side note glenn,don't assume these details you "think" are in order,make sure,otherwise a hard lesson as in my case,my sister turned out to be a snake after my mother died and my dad in senior care but working thru the issues best I can...,but by all means it's very important you or your brother has the POA for healthcare and another for her financials.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
About 2:30 this afternoon mom asked me to go to the clinic as she hadn't Heard nothing yet, only to find out her doc had the day off.

Tomorrow I guess.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother got a call & had to reschedule his yearly checkup back home as his Dr. was going to be out of the office on the day he had originally scheduled too. He has a few days every month where he goes to some clinics in some of the smaller surrounding towns as well.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got off the phone with my brother. He talked to mom, she got her results via MyChart. Turns out what is good news, but she's in real pain. Sounds like something a gastroenterologist needs to look into.

Headed up to moms shortly if the doc doesn't call by 10 I'll be headed to the clinic personally.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ended up taking her to the ER at the st cloud hospital. Talk about a sheet show to get in. But that's another story.

So there going to do a C-scan but sounds like the culprit is gall stones. And mayhaps removing the gall bladder.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well hopefully that is all of the problem and she recovers fast when they do surgery... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!