Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 51422 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
At one time I had 18 pails on the patio, great idea but they needed some serious babysitting at times.
my brother still does that. But he's got a better than union job so he can baby sit them .

Every spring he dumps 3-4 of them in a wheelbarrow adds fertilizer and more compost and mixes it up. Then back in his big pots!!

He saves all his dead minnows and before he puts his plants in he buries some 6-8 inches below the root, adds dirt then plants the tomato.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got zucchini coming out of my ears, got a 3rd row of radishes planted. Pulled all the carrots. Cukes are all flowered will some that are 3-4inches long. Maters are abundant & green. Beets & spring onions are doing well.

The dill plants I bought are doing "ok" the dill seed Glenn gave me, not so much..... still only 4-5 inches tall.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I got zucchini coming out of my ears, got a 3rd row of radishes planted. Pulled all the carrots. Cukes are all flowered will some that are 3-4inches long. Maters are abundant & green. Beets & spring onions are doing well.

The dill plants I bought are doing "ok" the dill seed Glenn gave me, not so much..... still only 4-5 inches tall.
:scratch: :scratch: thats odd. my dill didnt get as tall as it usually does but i'm getting plenty of dill. mater of fact i cut put another bread bag full in the freezer a bit ago!!!!!!!

i was told by becks once that i was lucky i could grow dill, alot of people cant for some reason??? :doah: :scratch: :scratch: and i plant it every year pretty much under my black walnut tree!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: :scratch: thats odd. my dill didnt get as tall as it usually does but i'm getting plenty of dill. mater of fact i cut put another bread bag full in the freezer a bit ago!!!!!!!

i was told by becks once that i was lucky i could grow dill, alot of people cant for some reason??? :doah: :scratch: :scratch: and i plant it every year pretty much under my black walnut tree!!!!!!!!

It like the nuts...   just saying....    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: The nut that planted 'em or the nuts they're planted in????? ;) :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

It like the nuts...   just saying....    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :tut:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It looks like I was mistaken yesterday when I said the tomatoes were all green.
With all the wind today I decided to tie them up a bit more and found some ripe ones down in the middle.
The plants are chin high and growing like crazy. Also, I now have to pick cukes twice a day to prevent
them from getting too big.  Not sure what happened to the onions but the wind kinda flattened the tops.
I pulled up some potatoes and they are fine, but the bugs just about wiped out the leaves.   

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thats natural for onion to do when there mature. once the green tops start drying up i pull them!!!!!11 :happy1: mine are getting pulled when i get back from the cabin.

and i'm going to water them very sparingly until i pull them.

and IF my cabbage heads dont show a huge improvement when i get back there getting yanked to. only about the size of a softball at this point!!
« Last Edit: July 07/19/22, 02:00:04 PM by glenn57 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye.....do those potato bugs hit your tomato leaves also???? they did when grew spuds!!!!!!! :confused: :doah:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57, I did see some on the tomatoes but hopefully there's enough foliage that it won't impact the plants. I do see them on the peppers and cukes. I will need something to nuke them next year. Maybe spray gas on the ground and light it.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Yup.....those onions are ready to be pulled, bundled and hung in the garage until   October. Mine are still standing tall.

I have blight on my tomatoe plants. Sprayed them with Daconil today to stop it from moving up the plant.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
glenn57, I did see some on the tomatoes but hopefully there's enough foliage that it won't impact the plants. I do see them on the peppers and cukes. I will need something to nuke them next year. Maybe spray gas on the ground and light it.
back when i had potatoes they had a dust or powder that killed them. thing is them damn things laid there eggs on the underneath side of the leaf. i spent just as much time looking for and destroying eggs.

your pretty close to all those spud farms........maybe have one of them crop dusting planes do a quick fly over!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had Colorodo Potatoe Beetles for quite a few years. Always go hunting the little buggers as soon as the plants start to grow. Then look under the leaves as you said for eggs. I never seem to get them all and they over winter in the ground.

This year I have not seen 1 beetle. Not sure why. I either got them all last year or they winter killed . :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Dug my first baby reds yesterday. The best early red potatoe ever developed....
Red Norland. Developed at NDSU. Make great early potatoes. Make the best mashed potatoes you can grow.
« Last Edit: July 07/20/22, 10:28:17 AM by KEN W »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Been a good year for potato beetles here judging by the questions I keep getting. There is a fairly high concentration of potatoes yet at Hollandale that extends up toward Geneva & Clarks Grove so not surprising. There was a potato & carrot operation west of Owatonna but think they quit growing them a few years ago. Wife used to work there. They grew Chipper potatoes of some kind and Bolero carrots, much of which wound up in Dinty Moore beef stew. The sheep loved the carrot tops and broken carrots she'd bring home. One weed species potato beetles were particularly fond of was buffalobur, a nightshade family plant. They must've eaten them all because I haven't seen one for several years.  ;)

When I've grown potatoes here I've never had any problems with potato beetles. Not as many people growing them in area gardens anymore & understandably so as cheap as they are in the store. I always liked having my own though with some Norlands for early reds, Pontiacs for late reds & usually something like Norkotah for russet baking potatoes. Probably get back into growing them eventually as they make another vegetable option that works well in the rotation. They do well here on the upslope Clarion soils and we have plenty of water access if needed.

Colorado potato beetles are a bearcat to control in the home garden chemically. Some have still had success with products containing a neonicotinoid but not consistently. Picking them & sticking the larvae in a can of some kind of solvent is still the most common method.   

https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/colorado-potato-beetles
« Last Edit: July 07/20/22, 01:01:24 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Decided it was time to pull the onions. Only 3 bad ones.  One of my better onion crops in 4-5 years! :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch.....Bolero carrot is the best keeping carrot there is to grow. Keeps for months in the fridge.

I grow those exact same 3 potato varieties every year.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I have turned into a dill farmer.  I have more dill that is matured.  The first ones I cut and vac packed were just all of the green long hairy type of stuff but really smelled like dill so I kept it.  Today I picked matured plants and cut off all of the flowers and tossed the stalks.  I still have some growing too so will harvest it when ready.  I don't think I will have to buy any dill this year.  That is cool as heck.  We have had a hard time finding dill some years so it is a relief knowing we have our own.  We even found one nice cuke that is an eater for tonight.  The only one.  Pulled a few small carrots too.  Ken did you say to harvest the onions when the stalks fall over?  Ours are straight up yet and can see the tops of the onions.  They are not huge yet.  lol  They are red ones.  The beans are climbing the fence great.  Just flowers so far.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well I have turned into a dill farmer.  I have more dill that is matured.  The first ones I cut and vac packed were just all of the green long hairy type of stuff but really smelled like dill so I kept it.  Today I picked matured plants and cut off all of the flowers and tossed the stalks.  I still have some growing too so will harvest it when ready.  I don't think I will have to buy any dill this year.  That is cool as heck.  We have had a hard time finding dill some years so it is a relief knowing we have our own.  We even found one nice cuke that is an eater for tonight.  The only one.  Pulled a few small carrots too.  Ken did you say to harvest the onions when the stalks fall over?  Ours are straight up yet and can see the tops of the onions.  They are not huge yet.  lol  They are red ones.  The beans are climbing the fence great.  Just flowers so far.

Good for you LPS! All my dill croaked, I'll need to buy dill to pickle. I may have to resort to growing it inside like the pot farmers do  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Good for you LPS! All my dill croaked, I'll need to buy dill to pickle. I may have to resort to growing it inside like the pot farmers do  :rotflmao:
:scratch: there gotta be something with your soil????? and pine trees nearby??? i grow my dill right under the black walnut tree and it does fine!!

LPS, if you vacum packed that dill that should last a while! :happy1: i dont vacum pack them and i can use it 2 years later, but i'm pretty anal about rotating my stuff.

well, my wife didnt kill the garden while i was gone  :rotflmao: so thats a good thing.  got some maters yesterday so BLT's tonight baby!!!!!  :happy1: my cukes are ever so slow. mom is bringing me some!!!!!!

cabbage is getting cut and pulled today. the heads arent getting any bigger......should be enough for a good batch of homemade kraut!!!!!!! gonna clean out the worthless kalarabi that wont end up being anything and clean up some carrots to snack on. green beans are just starting to come. the few i had yesterday where tasty!!! :sleazy:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Took a look at the garden last nite. Wowsirs! It really changed. Figured it would be begging for a drink when I got home. Amazing what 3.5" of rain will do. Sweet corn is pollinating, zukes are going nuts, half dozen real nice cukes, and a picking of string beans is ready on the Tendergreens. Squash, gourds and pumpkins are setting lots of fruit. Plus, it looks like there are a few ripe tomatoes on the vines. The 2nd planting sweet corn is over knee high and string beans are coming along. Even where I replanted in some of the gaps looks like it might amount to something. The Indian corn grew a couple feet while I was gone. Looks like it won't overlap with the sweet corn on pollination so that's a plus. Sweet corn can taste like field corn when that happens. Will be a few days before I can think about planting fall garden stuff. Need it to dry up a little first after another half inch of rain last nite.
« Last Edit: July 07/27/22, 10:38:31 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a few green bean plants that didn't wash out in June when we had a deluge. I picked a handful of beans off them the last couple mornings. The replanted ones are just starting to blossom good. I also picked my first 4 cukes and there are lots coming. I was so late getting the garden planted that my tomatoes are really behind. Peppers are doing ok except for my bell peppers that have a foliage thing going on. I'm hoping they grow out of it.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
My garden is rolling....Lots of Zuchs and yellow squash. Early baby reds are ready. Peas are done. Eating beets for a week now. Beans ready in a few days. Eating cucumbers. Been eating cauliflower and broccolli for 10 days. Have cut back red lettuce 3 times. Pulled all the onions. Eating yellow cherry tomatoes. Reds are just starting to ripen for BLT's.

One problem.....deer have been eating my corn. Spraying with Deer Stopper.....we will see if it works.

Strawberries done. Tilling each row half under now to let the daughter plants fill in fo next year. Picking red, yellow, and purple raspberries now. Blueberries not quite ready yet. Grape vines full of grapes.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Having a little the same problem with the peppers here roony. Plants are deep dark green monsters & flowering some but not setting much for peppers yet. Based on some nitrate soil sampling that was done, suspect we had a pretty good accumulation & concentration of nitrate nitrogen with what was mineralized this spring & left over from last fall. Betting I wouldn't have needed any nitrogen on my garden at all if the sweet corn was any indication earlier on. The entire garden got an additional 80 lbs./acre on it when I went by with the fertilizer spreader in the pasture. Now that it's had some rain to move it down deeper in the soil profile, there should be more than an ample supply. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It is raining good here.  Was just pouring awhilst ago.  Lots of thunder too.  We have about 3/8" so far.  So to keep on topic I don't have to water the garden now.   :sleazy:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We ended up getting 3 tenths last night, not sure if the big leaf plants even noticed.  Soo maybe if I hand wash the truck every day we should get some rain.. :confused:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So, I gots a question......is your dill in direct sunlight? What type of soil?
I seen G's dill planted in a lower part of his garden and doing well..... but in clay.
The best I've done, was in a pot next to the porch. Planted in compost.
This time I tried full sun, in compost.... total fail  :scratch:
We live in sand...as Timmy would say, all we can grow is "corn and rocks"  :fudd:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked an Anaheim Pepper and put it on the grill with ring bologna. Delicious if I say so myself.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HD, my dill grows in black dirt under my black walnut. I remember back in the day where my house sits now being in farm field. It gets some sun but a good part of the day it's shaded

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine is in full sun and it is in both raised boxes.  It is even growing on the ground where there is grass growing.  Never been tilled.