Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50799 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Do you guys ever get black swallowtail larvae on your dill? I remember seeing them on the garden dill when I was a kid and raising them in a jar. We had lots of dill and they would also feed on carrot tops. Was interesting to watch them & fun to turn the butterflies loose when they emerged from their chrysalis.

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/articles/black-swallowtail-papilio-polyxenes/
« Last Edit: July 07/28/22, 11:15:05 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Just ain't as many butterflies anymore.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Just ain't as many butterflies anymore.
:pouty: wrens probably ate them!!!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :evil:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No doubt in my mind!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked the first regular sized tomatoes this a.m. 2 Super Fantastic & 1 Celebrity. Also 1 Sun Sugar cherry tomato. Friend of mine from town stopped by yesterday. Said the bunnies had destroyed most of their garden, including the string beans. They had canned a bunch earlier but have none fresh. Also said their cukes kinda sucked. Told him have I got a deal for you... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: July 07/29/22, 10:56:14 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's kinda crazy how this rain we had and the cooler temps have moved the kalarabi along a bit more nicely! :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's #2. Wasskle wabbit.  :confused: done eating my garden leaves. He'll go to the east side of the river as I live on the west side!;

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Little fella. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just went out and tied up maters.  I also had to harvest more dill.  It is going nuts out there.  Now I have 3 pkgs vac packed and frozen.  More to come too. Our red onions are looking real good too.  I can see the tops of them and some are getting big.  The stalks are still green so let them go yet I guess.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just went out and tied up maters.  I also had to harvest more dill.  It is going nuts out there.  Now I have 3 pkgs vac packed and frozen.  More to come too. Our red onions are looking real good too.  I can see the tops of them and some are getting big.  The stalks are still green so let them go yet I guess.
yep, they'll start drying up and laying down. Then pull them  :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I appreciate all of the good info on gardens on here.   :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
yep, they'll start drying up and laying down. Then pull them  :happy1:

Right on Glenn.....My last ones were laying down so they got pulled yesterday.

LPS.....tie them in bundles and hang them on a nail in the garage and let them dry until mid October when it starts to get to cold. Take them down, clean them and put in the fridge. I am eating the last one from last year right now.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok sounds like a plan Ken. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ken W,
You better hope the Deer Stopper taste is gone when you harvest the corn. That stuff is nasty.

Dotch, roony,
I have the same issue with peppers this year. Never saw this before but the plants as short and the leaves look funky. There are peppers on the low end almost on the ground. Odd for sure.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Ken W,
You better hope the Deer Stopper taste is gone when you harvest the corn. That stuff is nasty.

Dotch, roony,
I have the same issue with peppers this year. Never saw this before but the plants as short and the leaves look funky. There are peppers on the low end almost on the ground. Odd for sure.

Yeah I think it's supposed to mimic Coyote urine.

Have to spray it on the ground around the corn patch.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Reminds me, I better scare up a few insulators & electric fenceposts soon. 1st planting of sweet corn should be done pollinating shortly & I may as well put fence around the adjacent 2nd planting while I'm at it. Attach it to the pasture fence & let 'er buck. Can't wait to hear some of roony's little buddies get lit up. 🦝⚡⚡⚡⚡

That's odd deadeye. Here they're tall and dark green, just starting to grow over the top of the chicken wire enclosures. The leaves almost look fake.  We've seldom had a lot of bell peppers set until later in the season. I noticed the jalapenos are really starting to set peppers after the rain. Hopefully the bell peppers got the memo.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My peppers are doing well. Anaheim, Serrano & Jalapenos
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our bell peppers in the earth box on the deck are doing real good.  Have even harvested a couple of small ones already.  We had a pot luck deal a few years ago and one of the guys brought in a whole bunch of Anaheim's.  We cut a slit in them the length and by the stem a cut so we could open them easily and take out the seeds.  We then filled them chock full of grated cheese and then wrapped them with thin bacon and tooth picks.  He put them right on the hot part of the grill so the bacon cooked and then they were done.  Man were they good.  I ate a bunch of them. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
green peppers are doing good and just starting to see the jalepenos making good progress!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok I need some advice. I got these hen-n-chicks around the house and garage. There going balls to the wall. I have 4 maybe 5 of them growing these stems. At first they stood up as erect as Dotch on his wedding nite!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: now there laying over  :scratch:

So do I cut them off or leave them be. Never had this before???

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Hens and Chicks Flowers: Do Hens And Chicks Plants Bloom
Hens & Chicks
By: Bonnie L. Grant, Certified Urban Agriculturist

Hens and chicks have old-time charm and unbeatable hardiness. These little succulents are known for their sweet rosette form and numerous offsets or “chicks.” Do hens and chicks plants bloom? The answer is yes, but it spells demise for the flowering rosette in a life cycle that is unique among plants. Hens and chicks flowers are the plant’s way of producing seed and a new generation of beguiling succulents.

When Do Hens and Chicks Plants Bloom? A rambunctious clump of hens and chicks has a special allure to children and adults alike. The small plants are adaptable and resilient, producing flower-like clusters of varying-sized rosettes. Gardeners new to the plants may say, “My hens and chicks are flowering,” and wonder if this is a natural occurrence. Blooms on hens and chicks plants are not only natural but an additional wonder with this fun, diminutive Sempervivum.

I love to walk the garden and see that my hens and chicks are flowering. This generally occurs in summer when the long warm days and bright light jar the plant’s instincts to form blooms. This signals the beginning or end of the plant’s life cycle, depending upon whether you are a glass half empty or glass half full kind of gardener. Hens will usually live for 3 years before they form flowers but, occasionally, stressed plants will bloom earlier. The tiny, starry flowers amp up the magic of these succulents, but it does mean the plant is forming seed and will die. Not to despair, though, because the lost plant will quickly fill in with a new rosette and the cycle will march on yet again.

About Hens and Chicks Flowers A blooming hen on a hen and chicks plant is often referred to as a “rooster.” The individual rosettes will begin to elongate and lengthen vertically when it is time to produce flowers. The process lends an alien appearance to the normally low-growing plants, with flower stalks that can get from a few inches (7.5 to 10 cm.) up to a foot (30.5 cm.) in length. Removing the budding stem can’t save the rosette. The blooms on hens and chicks plants are a part of a monocarpic process. That means they flower, seed, and then die. There is nothing to be done about it so you might as well enjoy the pink, white, or yellow flowers with bristling, erect stamen. Their work will soon be done, but the plant should already have produced many smaller rosettes, the future of the line. Hens and Chicks Flower Care As with the entire plant, hens and chicks flower care consists of neglect. You can leave the bloom until it has finished and the stem and base rosette will dry out and die. Clip off the stem rather than pulling it out of the living cluster or you may end up yanking some of the precious offsets. You may also choose to let nature take its course and leave the dying stem as proof of an interesting life cycle, which will eventually break off and compost in the area.

The young chicks will grow larger and fill in any gaps the parent plant made when bidding its fond farewell to this world. So enjoy the flowers and the guarantee of everlasting life this plant has in its offspring.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: wow learned something new, thanks HD!! That was an interesting read!!

There planted on the south and west side of the house and garage. They really thrive in the heat and sun it seems.
« Last Edit: July 07/31/22, 12:46:43 PM by glenn57 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ok I need some advice. I got these hen-n-chicks around the house and garage. There going balls to the wall. I have 4 maybe 5 of them growing these stems. At first they stood up as erect as Dotch on his wedding nite!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: now there laying over  :scratch:

So do I cut them off or leave them be. Never had this before???

:tut: :tut: :tut:

Post Office opens at 8 tomorrow morning, bub... :coffee:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had our 1st HG tomato on Saturday. :happy1: :cool: I better stock up on the cottage cheese. ;) :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if they're finding unusually large amounts of cottage cheese in the dumpster at the grocery store where glenn works?  :scratch:

Looks like some of the bell peppers definitely got the memo. Underneath all that foliage they're starting to set some nice peppers, just being sneaky about it. Between rain showers yesterday, tilled up the fall veggie area & picked a grocery bag of cukes. Should pick more string beans tonite. Friend dropped off more sweet corn this a.m. Making sure there's a roll of shop towels in the pickup at all times...🚽

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had our 1st HG tomato on Saturday. :happy1: :cool: I better stock up on the cottage cheese. ;) :smiley:
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Thanks for the reminder Gunner! I knew there was something I needed to get from the grocery store. Maybe get some bacon and more Miracle Whip while I'm at it. Can't get Spin Blend locally which I kinda liked but oh well. Could check DG just in case. Getting to be several ripe maters that should be eaten. Picked another Celebrity, some Sun Sugar cherries & a couple Roma's last nite. Some of the Super Fan plants are ~5' tall. String beans are going fast and furious. Picked another couple gallon bags worth last nite and still had 1 row left to pick. Just sultry last nite so was about gassed when I stopped. Should be cooler and less humid tonite so finish them up and pick more cukes. A mother's work is never done.  :rolleyes: