Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Twins  (Read 110522 times)

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I dunno...we paid $10 million and Cleveland signs Zunino for $6 million. It will be interesting to see the stats of both if they both stay healthy.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Got me curious, so I gave it a look & Vasquez is a career .260 hitter, Zunino's career avg is .200. Thought there was an age difference too but there's not, 32 & 31, respectively.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Carlos Correa signs with the Giants for $350M for 13 years.

Too much money. Royce Lewis will be better when he gets on the field.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Lewis might be a nice player but he won't be nearly as good as Correa, much cheaper but not as good.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Correa will be 41 when that contract is done, that's a lot of $, 26.9 mil/yr, for a 40+ y/o SS. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 12/14/22, 03:16:36 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The giants must be willing to eat the back end of that deal.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Now that the fat kid is gone, :scratch: I wonder who db will have to throw darts at this season?  :whistling: https://sports.yahoo.com/joey-gallo-twins-reportedly-agree-000346665.html  ;) :rolleyes: :smiley: Kind of surprised that him or Ken haven't already mentioned this move. :huh:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that the fat kid is gone, :scratch: I wonder who db will have to throw darts at this season?  :whistling: https://sports.yahoo.com/joey-gallo-twins-reportedly-agree-000346665.html  ;) :rolleyes: :smiley: Kind of surprised that him or Ken haven't already mentioned this move. :huh:

A two-time All-Star with Texas, Gallo looked lost at the plate last year with the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers, who acquired him at the Aug. 2 trade deadline. He hit .160 with 19 homers and 47 RBIs, striking out 163 times in 350 at-bats.

Gallo has finished with a batting average under .200 in three straight seasons, striking out 455 times in 1,041 at-bats while batting .183 with 67 homers and 150 RBIs.

$10M seems a steep price to pay for 22 homers / year.   :doah:   Just sayin...

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not to mention, Sano is the only player in MLB history to reach 1,000 strkeouts faster than Gallo. If I remember right Miggy was scheduled to make $14 mil this season. Gallo is a career .200 hitter & Sano's career avg is .234. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sanomi01.shtml

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Not to mention, Sano is the only player in MLB history to reach 1,000 strkeouts faster than Gallo. If I remember right Miggy was scheduled to make $14 mil this season. Gallo is a career .200 hitter & Sano's career avg is .234. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sanomi01.shtml

So the Twins add another man to the roster who has been striking out almost 44% of the time over the past 3 years, the Twins save $4M in payroll, but lose .034 in replacement player batting average.   :doah: :doah:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: He is lefthanded & they can use another lefty in the lineup. Also, a decent glove man who can play either LF or RF. :confused:

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
In addition to being a good outfielder the Twins need a DH. What they didn't need was another guy who makes Sano look like a contact hitter.

There will need to be a corresponding move of trading one of the outfielders to make room for Gallo to have this make any sense at all.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What they didn't need was another guy who makes Sano look like a contact hitter.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

In addition to being a good outfielder the Twins need a DH. What they didn't need was another guy who makes Sano look like a contact hitter.

There will need to be a corresponding move of trading one of the outfielders to make room for Gallo to have this make any sense at all.
:scratch: Did you miss the part about Sano being the only 1 to have 1000 SOs faster than Gallo?  :bonk:                               ;) :rolleyes:  :smiley:
« Last Edit: December 12/20/22, 06:30:43 AM by Gunner55 »

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Nope, but given the same amount of at bats Gallo will drive in more runs than Sano. He will play better over-all defense and he can run a bit. Make no mistake, there is a bunch of swing and miss in his game but if I have to have one of them i'll take Gallo over Sano.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: It looks like I might have to agree with you, db. :shocked: ;) :smiley: He has averaged 600+ plate appearances a year, so he must be able to stay pretty healthy. He walks a lot too, 90/yr on avg, so he has a lifetime OPS near .800, & he's got 2 Gold Gloves in 20 & 21(RF). https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gallojo01.shtml
« Last Edit: December 12/20/22, 03:12:08 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Carlos Correa signs with the Giants for $350M for 13 years.

Too much money. Royce Lewis will be better when he gets on the field.

Not so fast...

Why Carlos Correa spurned Giants for Mets in free agency

In a stunning turn of events, free agent Carlos Correa is headed to the New York Mets -- and not the San Francisco Giants.

The 28-year-old shortstop agreed to terms on a 12-year, $315 million deal with New York -- a week after coming to terms with the Giants on a historic 13-year, $350 million contract.

Wait ... what happened?!

The Giants' contract with the star shortstop fell apart after the team expressed concerns during the physical examination, prompting Correa to reopen his free agency and sign in the middle of the night with the Mets.

Didn't the Mets already spend a whole bunch of money this offseason? And don't they already have a shortstop?!

Sure do. Last year, Mets owner Steve Cohen signed Francisco Lindor to a 10-year, $341 million deal after trading for the star shortstop in 2020. Correa is expected to move to third base in New York to play alongside his friend and Team Puerto Rico teammate Lindor.

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
The battle for New York. Cohen & the Mets vs Steinbrenner & the Yankees. Be fun to watch for the next few years.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, the Giants wanted Judge and then Correa and got neither.   :bonk:

Cohen has deep pockets.  The price of baseball keeps going up.

Last year, Mets owner Steve Cohen signed Francisco Lindor to a 10-year, $341 million deal after trading for the star shortstop in 2020. Correa is expected to move to third base in New York to play alongside his friend and Team Puerto Rico teammate Lindor.

And speaking of Steve Cohen ... when Cohen bought the Mets in November 2020, there was a belief around baseball that he could upend the system with his wealth. But this exceeds the expectations of even the most hopeful Mets fan. If Correa's deal is completed, the team's estimated payroll will be around $384 million. Based on that number, the Mets would owe an additional $111 million in luxury-tax payments. Their total payroll, as of now, is expected to be just shy of $500 million. In baseball history, no team has come within $150 million of that number.

Just this offseason, the Mets are adding Correa to a list of signings that includes starters Justin Verlander, Kodai Senga and Jose Quintana along with the re-signings of outfielder Brandon Nimmo and relievers Edwin Diaz and Adam Ottavino. Add in catcher Omar Narvaez and reliever David Robertson, and the Mets' total outlay this winter is $806.1 million.

As for Correa...

Correa is only 28, so he has several good years left and we saw how good he is in the clubhouse.  And if he is playing with good players he gets along with, it ought to be a scary good team.

But... he still has to pass the Met's physical.   ;)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."

Just got home from Red Lake for the past 3 days.....no electricity, so no computer for 3 days.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Think I 1st read about it last Friday, 12/16.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :doah: sounds like this Correa is having issues getting a secured contract due to some old injuries there finding in his physicals!!!!!!!!! :doah: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes something about an old leg injury repair.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: ok so i follow the Twins a little bit....... but why wasnt this an issue when he signed with the Twinkies???? maybe i just missed it, dont know.  :scratch: :scratch:

so now.........by him snubbing his nose at the Twins........he is having troubles finding a team that will take him!!!!!  :rotflmao: serves him right!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Another pc I read said the NYM still want him, but they want to re-do the original offer. Shorter deal and/or less $? :confused:
« Last Edit: December 12/27/22, 01:47:19 PM by Gunner55 »

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I think when it's all said and done Correa gets like 8 years with the last 2-3 years a team option. I think the dollars stay at around $28-30 million with maybe some bonuses for games or innings played. He will be very well paid as he should be.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: ok so i follow the Twins a little bit....... but why wasnt this an issue when he signed with the Twinkies????

Remember how the Twins' Correa signing caught everyone off guard?  It was a great deal for both.  The Twins never make big long-term splash deals - so no one was surprised when it was a short contract - but were applauded for going after him.  For Correa's part, he needed a team where he could play and prove his health so he could chase the long term deal he wanted. 

But you have to believe that the Twins saw the same medicals, stayed out of the long term trap, and kept it to themselves.

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
:scratch: ok so i follow the Twins a little bit....... but why wasnt this an issue when he signed with the Twinkies????

Remember how the Twins' Correa signing caught everyone off guard?  It was a great deal for both.  The Twins never make big long-term splash deals - so no one was surprised when it was a short contract - but were applauded for going after him.  For Correa's part, he needed a team where he could play and prove his health so he could chase the long term deal he wanted. 

But you have to believe that the Twins saw the same medicals, stayed out of the long term trap, and kept it to themselves.

Except it was reported the Twins offered Correa $285 million over 10 years. I'm not buying what the Twins are peddling at this point. There was no $285 offer UNLESS they knew what the Giant offer was and that Correa would take that. When it's all said and done the Twins will have Farmer as the starter and will battle for the central title until the Baldelli bullpen implodes from overuse again in August.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Correa & Lindor are friends from playing in the WBC for PR & that plays into Correa's wanting to play for the Mets, is what I read, & he may even move to 3rd base. He'll sign a deal much like db described above IMO.