Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MNO Question of the week.  (Read 60390 times)

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
I used my Dad's Remington 11-87 the first couple years that I deer hunted and I really liked that, especially the fact that it was a semi-auto and I could get several shots off quickly as I was not too true of a shot my first couple years hunting.

Around our third or fourth year out, I bought a Remington 870 Express combo from a friends Dad who only used it once when they lived in Illinois and quit hunting when they moved to MN. I really like my 870; it has been a very consistent gun for me and was my "first gun", which I plan to someday pass on to my son, along with Grandpa's 11-87 probably.  ;D

I have yet to bowhunt, but I have plans to get out in the next year with some friends and try it out.
« Last Edit: September 09/01/07, 09:48:32 AM by Outdoors_Realtree »
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My favorite is my 30.06.  It was my grandpa's and past down to me.  He had harvested many deer with this straight shooting rifle.  I have harvested my largest buck (11 pts) with this old reliable.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
My favorite that I have is my new Browning bow.  Its very quiet and accurate.  However, my favorite out of every weapon out there is the old cowboy style lever action Winchesters.  I don't have one -- YET -- but to me, those just look like a rifle aughta look. 
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO question of the day for Saturday Sept. 8th:

This question is for our Whitetail hunters.  What was the first deer you harvested?  Was it a buck or doe?  How big was it?  Did you use a firearm or bow?  How old were you?  Please share!
[/size]
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
When I was 12 years old, we took a trip out to South Dakota for a week of Deer hunting and Pheasant hunting, I was the youngest and had my dad, cousin and 3 uncles with me.

The group decided to have me and my uncle wait at the top of a ravine while the rest did a deer drive, I was in perfect position at the top and was ready for whatever came my way. As the group got closer, a few deer came out towards me, I selected the biggest one and started to take aim with my rifle, I was probably a little more than a 100 yards and this 10 point buck stopped and stood broadside, my uncle was nearby and I had no idea that he was also aiming at the same deer. All of a sudden a shot went off and the deer dropped in its tracks.... My dad and another uncle started to congratulate me and some high fives and hugs were taking place. After everyone calmed down, i told my dad that I didn't think I took a shot yet. My uncle walked over and told everyone that he shot the deer because i took too much time.

I did get another chance the next day and missed a doe standing broadside at about 75 yards.  ::hittingself::

That same season in Minnesota, I ended up getting my first deer, it was a 6 point 140# buck with a 12 gauge shotgun.  ::cheers::
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I was 14 and I shot a 6 pt buck with a 6mm.

Here is the story...I was sitting in my stand on opening morning.  I had logged about two hour in the stand.  When I look over my shoulder and see a deer standing about 80 yards away nibbling on some buds on a tree.  My heart starts racing as I slowly race 6mm to my shoulder.  Then the deer walks a few steps forward and walks behind a huge evergreen.  I can't see iany part of the deer.  My mind starts running and I think maybe the deer saw me move and ran off.  It seemed like 20 minutes (but was more likely 2 minutes) and the buck steps out on the other side of the tree.  I have a perfect shooting lane.  I line my sight up on his front shoulder and I squeeze the trigger. Kaboom!  The deer jumps and immediately starts running right for me. I fire again, he continues running right at me, I fire again.  He doesn't hesitate and still running right at the tree I am in. I stand up (the deer 5 yards a way on a dead run right for my stand) flinching and leaning back (worried the deer was going to jump right in my stand) I fire one more time.  The deer turns and runs off into the brush.  I can hear twigs snapping and branches breaking.  Then eventually it becomes silent.  I am now standing unable to see the deer anymore and wondering how could I possible have missed the deer?  I am having trouble catching my breath.  My heart is pounding so hard It feel like someone playing a bass drum in my ears.  It seemed like hours pass (more like 10-15 minutes) my dad comes  over so excited to see my first deer.  He asks what was it?  Did you get it?  I say it is a buck and I think I might have missed.  He asks me how many times did you shoot? I say three?  He see my chamber is wide open because the gun is empty.  Then explains I fired five times.  I look sure enough I did.  He see's the ground tore up 2-3 feet from the base of my tree stand (where the deer finally changed direction).  He can see blood (but he doesn't tell me that) and follows it 30-40 yards and there he lays.  I hit it right through the heart (my first shot).  He comes walking back shaking his head.  He asks how did you miss a deer that ended up on 2 feet from the bottom of my tree stand?  I explain that I must of got to excited and shrug my shoulders.  He then puts a big grin on his face and says well who's six point buck is laying right over there?  I almost jumped out of the tree to run over and see my first whitetail.  I was so excited and can remember it like it was yesterday.  I was hooked!

www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
OK heres my story.  My first deer was taken on my 2nd year (i think) bow hunting.  It was opening day.  A nice warm sunny Sept 15.  I was the only person in the area bow hunting.  My group of guys were working on the cabin and the locals were either grouse hunting or doing their normal daily deal.  I had been sitting in stand all morning and my butt was getting numb so I got up to get rid of my morning coffee and walk a little.  As I walked slowly down a path, the sun was shining down to my left.  At one point, I saw something shiny down a path that crossed mine.  I looked and it was the shiny hiney of a white tail.  My heart leaped.  She was just standing there like she thought she was hidden from me.  I backed up until I could see her rib cage.  I took careful aim and right as I realease my arrow, another deer behind me and to my left WIFFED real loud and she jumped then took off like greased lightning.  I was so darned excited I didn't even think and ran in after her.  I didn't see any sign of her so I went back to where I shot her.  I didn't see any blood or my arrow.  So  I go get one of my buddies and he helped me find her.  She blead internally because there was no blood trail.  Just a pool where she lay.  So again Im too excited and start field dressing her before I got any good photos.  Oh well there will be more.  I just wanted to get her to the butcher.  I get her up there and the lady asks "Have ya skun er yet?"  I was stunned and said uhhh nooo.  She then says "Did ya cut er head and hooves off yet?"  Again I stood there like a statue just dumb founded.  So here I am in the back parking lot of this local grocer/butcher doing what I thought they always did.  What do I know, its my first deer right?  Well turns out I got one of the few that ask a guy to do that and still charge full price.

Well none of that crazy mixed up adventure will stop me from deer hunting.  Im still looking forward to it as much if not more than my first time ever.  I'll be out there as much as I can this year.  Not only that, my oldest  boy will get his 3rd chance and my 2nd boy will get introduced to it for his first time ever.

Good luck to everyone going out this year.
Grute

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128

What is your favorite hunting season and why?

Deer, pheasant, duck, grouse, bear, turkey, elk, moose, etc..

« Last Edit: September 09/19/07, 01:19:37 PM by Outdoors_Realtree »
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I have not tried all of the different hunting options listed in this question. 

My personal favorite animal to hunt is the whitetail deer.  Why?  They are such a smart animal.  You need to put time into scouting them.  Just when you think you have them patterned out or predicted, they change patterns.  They have great senses with sight, sound, smell.  Plus they can run, hop, and jump like maniacs.  When I put the sights on the vitals of a big buck, my heart is always pounding like it is going to jump out of my chest.  I am addicted to deer hunting.  It is my favorite time of year!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Pheasant hunting for me is the greatest.  I can sleep in! ;D  I just like watching my dog work.  You can shoot the breeze with a buddy while doing it.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I have enjoyed them all in the past but I think I would have to go with archery deer hunting as the favorite. Why, bcause it is the one I happen to enjoy the most. Jst get a bigger kick out of taking a deer at 20 yards instead of 200.

Offline TMT

• Outdoorsman
  • Deer hunting/waking up in the morning.
I would have to say deer hunting. 
The excitement of the kill (which hasn't happened lately), seeing the breath of a deer in the cold, or watching the sunrise and sunset through the woods while anticipating a twig snap or seeing a shadow move. 
Simply the best!
<><
Catchin' fish is a bonus!

Offline Pete

• Outdoorsman
I definitely prefer to hunt pheasants. It was the first game I hunted for. I live around some great pheasant hunting ground. It's always fun to take the dog out and let her have her fun.

And like The General said, you get to sleep in.  :ROTFLMAO:

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I've been singing the 12 days of Bow Season for the last week or so.  Its so calm, the weather is so mild, leaves are changing.  I just love the fall.  Then to get the chance to bag a deer is such a thrill.  And THEN to realy bag one...AND THEEEN.... ;D

I guess Im sayin white tails via bow and arrow. 

Grute  ::dancinred::

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO Question of the day for Thursday Sept 20th: 

This question is for our Whitetail hunters. 

When Scouting for the upcoming deer season (current season for bow hunters), what types of sign or things do you look for before deciding on placing your stand? and Why?
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
tracks for sure,the other signs. but then again i aint
got no deer yet. so what do i know love2.gif

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
feed,bedding areas and in dry years water sources. Then I'll get in there and look for the trails running between these sources. Once i find good trails i will walk thenm and pick out a few places to set up on bouth sides of the trail, this helps in playing the wind a little better if you are limited on hunting area. I also like to try and have more then route for me to get to the stand.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
First a place that can hold them - bedding, water, and food.  Then I look for signs like trails, scat, rubs, and scrapes.  I don't rely on the scat as much because one deer can make a lot of piles so its deceiving but if theres none, well no deer either.  Scrapes and rubs if they are new can be sign of a buck trying to mark his territory. 

I remembe up at my friend's cabin one year we all of a sudden saw some scrapes and rubs like never before.  I was VERY excited to try to at least see this buck but he never showed up and we haven't seen sign like that again.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128

In our camp we all pretty much still hunt (we all have our stand locations and wait for the deer to come to us), so what is important when I am chosing my stand location may be different from someone who hunts in a party where you have a couple hunters driving the deer to the others in stands.

I look for a good bedding area location, then I look for where they might go for food from that area, taking into consideration and ridges or dense brush areas they may travel along and through in getting to the food areas...then in the area between these spots, I look for scrapes, rubs, tracks and any other obvious signs of deer movement through the area.

Once I have all of this information, I look for a good tree along the way with good shooting lanes and sight lines so that if a deer gets spooked by something along the way, I still have options besides "the main trails" to shoot.

I normally hunt from a 15' ladder stand with a "Hunter's Nest" that a buddy and I fabricated with a shooting rail, gun hanger, and Realtree_Outdoors camo blind skirt. Once I have my stand positioned and properly secured, I climb up in it with my shotgun and take mock shots and sightings to familiarize myself with the terrain and any shots I anticipate taking BEFORE the hunt.

This has made a big difference in the success of my hunts when you have that insubordinate Buck who does not follow the rules and come down the path like he is supposed to and stop 30 yards out from your stand broadside so you can take the money shot!    ::hittingself::

Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Moline Gang

• Outdoorsman
  • No critter too big or small!
We look for, trails, scat, beds, rubs, scrapes, signs of feeding and whatever else we can find.
Upper Red Lake deer camp

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO Qestion of the Day for Wed. Sept 26th.

What are your favorite pair of hunting boots (maybe you have a pair for each type of hunting)?  Please share what brand, style and why you like them.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
For cold November deer camp, I prefer my Sorel Caribou boots over anything else for sure! They are well insulated (rated to -40 degrees I believe), have the rubber "dot" knobbies on the bottom to keep your foot up off the ground and off the ice/snow, and have a moisture wicking material that keeps my feet dry even if I am walking and my feet are sweating. For around $100-120 you can't go wrong with a pair of Sorel Caribou's in my opinion.

happy2.gif     fudd.gif   happy2.gif    ::dancinred::    happy2.gif
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I have had 3 pairs of Rockys in my 15 years of hunting.  I use 1 boot for hunting and icefishing and any other time I need to wear a boot.  When they wear out I buy a new pair.  I don't know if they are that great of a boot for I have never owned anything else.  The first pair I had didn't have the rubber or leather material over the toe area and they only lasted a year or 2.  The last 2 pairs have had that rubber/leather material on the toe area and have lasted 13 years between the 2 pairs.  I'm sure I will have lots of time left on the current pair for they were new 2 years ago.  They keep my feet warm and dry, but I wouldn't doubt their are better boots out there.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i just wear a red wing type work boot with
good insulated socks.

randy aka bh
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
 sad3.gif I am now looking for another pair of light gor- texed kangaro skin boots. After years of constent summer and early fall wearing the little lady says  I have to give up the ones I now have. Don't know why she is upset about the duct tape & gue, the gortex isn't leaking yet. Anway thats what I want for spring, summer and early fall. For winter and rifle season I wear a sorel rated for around 30 below. My feet swet easly and then get cold so normaly I don't put socks on until I'm on stand.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i put the cheap white tube socks on first, then
put the insulated ones on. the tube socks
soak up the sweat.  works good for me.

randy aka bh
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
MNO question of the day for Sunday Oct 7th.

When you go out deer hunting what tool or product is your secret weapon?
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I use prayer more than anything but the mose used man made tool I use is the True Talker deer call.  You can adjust its pitch to sound like anything from Buckzilla grunting to Bambi bleeting.  Some times I use both of those tools at once like this Prayer + True Talker = Deer (I hope.) 

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I think we all use a little prayer Grute.  It's nice to have the big guy in your corner.  ;)
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline TMT

• Outdoorsman
  • Deer hunting/waking up in the morning.
Prayer is an awesome answer!  I agree, you can't go wrong with it.
<><
Catchin' fish is a bonus!