Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 301182 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
TT... your going  to get extremely chastised for even bringing up PB& J's.  :confused:

Seen my first tree swallow. Bug eating machines!! :happy1:
I've been married to the same woman for 47 years. This would not be the first time I have been chastised.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: i'm not talking about your bride.......its the yahoos here!!!!!!! :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
He's good Glenn,  he's having it fer lunch, and not pairing it with steak or spaghetti.. :bonk:  ;)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
For roony: Think I posted the stuff on the white-throated sparrows but you know how these things get buried on these threads. First started noticing these three species coming through every spring here about 25 - 30 years ago. They may have been here prior to that but I may not have paid any attention to them, thinking they were just small brown sparrows of some kind. Their arrival was always followed closely by the orioles and hummingbirds. Sometimes in recent years all 5 species are present about the same time. The kinda cool thing is I've seen the white-throated sparrows in Canada at Bill's cabin during the summer months. Makes me wonder if they're some of the same birds that pass through at the ranch in the spring. Doubtful but you never know.  :scratch:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/overview#

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Harriss_Sparrow/id

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-crowned_Sparrow/id
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
A few ducks wandering around in the backyard. Looks like they’re foraging for acorns. Also a couple turkeys and a few deer in the front yard earlier this afternoon. Also saw a good sized snapper down the road doing some excavation for an egg drop. Kind of like wild kingdom today.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have always fed the birds and love it.  I am paying more attention to what they are after listening to your bird talk.  I saw a bluebird today and it was as blue as could be.  Also I walked outside and here a Tree Swallow was singing on the power line right above me.  How cool is that???   LOLOL

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We have always fed the birds and love it.  I am paying more attention to what they are after listening to your bird talk.  I saw a bluebird today and it was as blue as could be.  Also I walked outside and here a Tree Swallow was singing on the power line right above me.  How cool is that???   LOLOL
if it that blue are you sure it wasnt an inidgo bunting??? there smaller then a bluebird and way more blue then the bluebird????

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No I don't know for sure at all Glenn.  We were sitting on the deck and a small bird swerved away from us so we saw it's back and that is the blue we saw.  Was right above the ground and landed in a boxelder tree.  Bright blue. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
No I don't know for sure at all Glenn.  We were sitting on the deck and a small bird swerved away from us so we saw it's back and that is the blue we saw.  Was right above the ground and landed in a boxelder tree.  Bright blue.
how deep into HH was it!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We both saw it, was pretty cool. All I know is that it was bright blue. On it's back as that was what was towards us. 

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Bluebirds are back at my place. They do fly near the ground, LPS. They are insect eaters.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We've had a few Brown Thrashers here. They seem to prefer eating on the ground under the feeders. So do the "good" sparrows. Ooh, just saw a couple catbirds.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
More wrens here this a.m. & in Bugtussle. Gotta love it! Still no sign of the orioles or hummingbirds yet. Apple trees are about to burst into bloom so that should help. Will be on the lookout for the catbirds as there are usually a troupe of them here. Not that they're great singers but they like to help themselves to the grape jelly whenever everything else isn't feasting on it.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet the wrens are keeping the orioles and hummingbirds away.

Online Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just put out the humming bird feeder last night. Thinking about putting out some jelly for the oriels too.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Have not seen any oriels or hummingbirds up here yet either.  Hoping now that it rained Yogi can find something to eat and will leave the feeders alone.   

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Been still seein quite a few younger :deer: eating what's green on the side of the roads in our travels lately too. So, there's not a lot out in the woods yet IMO.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: just had the first oriole!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Glad to hear it Glenn!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Rose-breasted grosbeak here just a little bit ago... :coffee:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I told one of mine to go there and spread the cheer.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm expecting a hummer tomorrow. (Bird)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

good thing you explained that for Glenn!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

good thing you explained that for Glenn!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
5:15 1st hummer of the season! Saw out the kitchen window whilst I was cutting up some rhubarb for the warden.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good deal! Now you can focus on getting your hummer!  :happy1:

Speaking of that, the chorus frogs & the American toads must be having an orgy down in the wetland. Thank goodness the wife took off for a hen party so it'll be safe to grill tonite. 🍔

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Good deal! Now you can focus on getting your hummer!  :happy1:

Speaking of that, the chorus frogs & the American toads must be having an orgy down in the wetland. Thank goodness the wife took off for a hen party so it'll be safe to grill tonite. 🍔
Dotch, I hope you're not grilling frogs and toads.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I love hearing the froggies

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't noticed them yet.  I will listen more carefully now.

Offline fishingstar

• Outdoorsman
Seen the first oriole yesterday. Didn't see any on the feeder but there here today. 3 to 4 at a time at the jelly. It's getting more expensive to put out jelly it's up to 2.60 a jar.
Have not seen any hummers yet.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well tt, ya never know around here. The U of M is encouraging people to eat bugs!  :doah:

At least 2 Baltimore orioles this a.m. Hard to tell as they're moving from feeder to feeder so quickly. 3 rose-breasted grosbeaks & a catbird to round out the morning. Spotted some ants on the patio, so I put water in the ant guards on the nectar feeders last nite. Looks like Mother Nature topped them off this a.m. Awaiting the arrival of the hummingbirds & orchard orioles.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: May 05/04/24, 09:38:45 AM by Dotch »