Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Do You BowHunt?  (Read 7506 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well I am just curious where all our Bowhunters are? There must be more than a few of you here.

I haven't shot my bow in over a year. There was about a 4 year stretch where I was in love with Bowhunting. I still am but I just don't have the time for it right now. Hunting with a Bow takes a lot of time and commitment. Lucky enough I have a place within an hour form the cities that I hunt exclusively with my Brother and Cousin. I was mulling over the idea today of getting back in this year. I'll need to make that decision soon as I need a lot of practice.

So who else Bowhunts?

This is my first buck taken by Bow, it was also my first year and my second deer. I took a doe opening day and this was shot on Oct 26th that same year....1999

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
I have the last 3 years.  This will be my 3rd year with a recurve.  I hunt in forest lake so still close enough to make a run out there after school some nights to get a couple hours in.

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I havn't bow hunted in a couple of years but I plan to get back into it this fall.  I own property up by Glenwood and have a place to stay up there so it makes it kinda nice on my days off.  I hunt deer every year but am going to start doing a lot more of it with the bow this year.

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I've been bow hunting about 8 years now and i cant think of a better way to hunt (for me anyhow). Last year my wife started now my son is going too. If he ever practices I told him if he doesn't practice he cant hunt.Most of us have wounded deer but it shouldn't be because were to dam lazy to get up and wing a few arrows!   Mayfly get back shooting if u get time. The deer have grown a bit sense the last time you were up there trust me!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL! TAKE PICS
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline BG

• Minnow
I have bow hunted for many years now, It's hard to beat the fall season sitting in a tree and watching all the wildlife getting ready for winter.
 I got my bow out last weekend and brought it to the lake but it was too hot to practice. But we caught some nice crappies in deep water! I'll shoot some this weekend.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
The deer have grown a bit sense the last time you were up there trust me!

I may hunt the last week before rifle opener. Seems to be the best time anyways.

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ;D? NEW TO THIS GAME!!!!!!! QUESTION TO WHO EVER CAN ANSWER IT? i have a bear white tail? that i have not used in a few years, it has a cobra site system with 4 colored pins and 2 slots for the pins one close to the grip and the other just forward.? the rear slot is longer then the front.? :-\ QUESTION, witch is for close shots, and the color code for range distances.? red, white, lt. blue,and green.? :-\ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 ??? no help, or dont anyone know how to set the sites on a bow? ???
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
Who needs sights?  One thing nice about having a recurve.  Never have to worry about loose sights or rests etc. ;D

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
stetler, let me take a stab at this.
the two slots allow for staggering of the pins.
the reason for this might be that the actual placement of the pins would get too crowded for one slot of the bow were to be tuned to shoot flat, or of the bow was sighted to five yard increments. generally speaking, ten yard settings are good enough, but some sharp shooters may want to dial it in a little tighter than that?
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Jiggles got it right. The 2 slots allow you to place the pins closer together. If your going to use all 4 pins, I'd put 2 in each slot. If you set the pins at 5 yard increments like jiggle mentioned, you would alternate the pins between the 2 slots. For example if you wanted pins for 20, 25, 30, 35 yards. The top pin on the inside slot would be 20 yards, and your second pin(25 yards) would be on the outside slot. As far as I know there is no color code for distance. I just always put my most visible pin at 20 yards. 
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 :) thanks for the help! THAT GIVES ME A STARTING POINT TO WORK FROM. ?20 yds is a good long dis. shot hey???? ????

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
All the deer I have shot were between 15 and 25 yards. On my old bow I had 3 pins set at 10, 20, and 30 yards. Which worked great for that bow. My new bow however, shoots so flat out to 40 yards, 3 pins were too much. They were so close together they were more of an obstruction. So I just went to one pin set at 20 yards.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I did the same thing with my new PSE a couple of years ago, I only have 2 pins now (15,25) my older Jennings had 3 pins.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm like Pat, I have two pins: 15 and 25 yds.  25-30 is my personal "outer limit."
Dan

Offline blazer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Woodchuck:

Here is a little advice that might save you some arrows when you start to sight in your bow.  Start by getting your 20 yard pin roughed in at 7 yards.  I've found that if I can get my bow sights roughed in at 7 yards , setting the 20 yard pin will only require minor adjustments to make it dead nuts on.  The reason I start at 7 yards is that when shooting at such a short distance it is very unlikely that you will completely miss the target, you may be way off, but the arrow should stick somewhere on the target.  I took me about 6 lost arrows to start setting up like this.  Hope it helps.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  -B. Franklin

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;D hey blazer, welcome to mno. sorry but your to late. i already went through all that the hard way! but anyway its on target hiting 3 in a 4 in. circle? at 25 yds. so i need a lot of practice to be pro HA HA? ;D? :laugh: