Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 5057650 times)

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Got mower fixed yesterday. $43.00 belt and good to go. Blades got sharpened too. Today's projects include taking grandson to shoot trap this morning. MN state trap shoot starts today. He shot his first 25 last night. After that work on getting camper ready to take to campground for the rest of the Summer. It is getting a new TV that needs to be mounted to the wall. Lenny, aka Conehead, isn't liking the cone and not being able to run around outside. May take it off when we get back here and see what happens. Got to go, later..... :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 64 and heading again to the 80's..   what a day yesterday with all the flooding and so wide spread too..  got a few things to do today..  just have to figure out what first..   have a good day all!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
morning fellers........dang slept like a rock last night.  :happy1: got a couple projects in mind for today.......cut the lawn and finish planting grass seed along the driveway!!!!! after that who knows.  :scratch:

JB....enjoy your time off!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
« Last Edit: June 06/25/24, 07:07:35 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, had 64 @ 1st peek & I'm hearin 81 for the high again today. Finally, got all of the frame on the rollout dock above the water line yday morning. It took 2 guys, a farmer's jack, & about 1.5 hours to do it.............now to see if the lake has come up more. :rolleyes: The neighbor went home for a day & came back to the water being over the ramp to his dock. I mowed along the sides of the new shed yday afternoon too, was pretty warm & humid by then. Helping put the canopy on the neighbor's lift is today's project. 'Bout it here, have a good day.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Nice looking morning today.  No big plans other than to just stay out of trouble. Have a good one.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' fellow gulag comrades! 73 at choretime heading for a high in the low-to-mid-80's. Humidity is coming down tho. Was brutal yesterday. Wife was home so she left the windows open on the house so it was hotter than hell in there with about 90% relative humidity. Fortunately I left the door on the bedroom shut and closed that window when I left for work. Kept the door shut last nite & slept like a rock. Turned the air on when I left this a.m. so it should dry things out & make it more comfortable.

Agree with roony on the Rapidan dam. A lot of conflicting information out there. I know there was a substation there but not sure the electricity running through it was coming from the dam. Also saw the substation go in the drink on one clip that was being circulated. Also heard conflicting reports about how much impact the loss of the dam would have on flooding Mankato, from horror stories to very little if any. tt is right, there was a lot of sediment & cleaning it out would've been a major undertaking. Reputedly the lady who was making pies at the restaurant about 3 a.m. the other morning heard it crack and thought, uh-oh... Looked at a lot of fields right around there up until a few years ago but never got a chance to actually see the dam. Others locally spent time there recreating, fishing, rafting, picnicking, etc. The consensus from them this a.m. was it could still be a functioning recreational area if Blue Earth Co. wants to play their cards right.       
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
It looks as if the bank continued to erode and washed the house away.  This still shot was from video that I think was taken today.

As for the power, I never heard definitively if the dam was actively being used to generate power, but the breach did wash away a power substation which caused local power outages.  Perhaps the substation was on the main grid and was no longer supplied by the dam.

(I just saw a report that said the house was still there.  If so, the building washing away would have been a parks storage building.)

« Last Edit: June 06/25/24, 02:29:51 PM by Steve-o »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
heard the house went too, can't find any thing on it...   only thing left after that is the store I think...    :thumbs:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The house did not go in, not yet anyway. The Dam Store is still ok. What has gone in is the substation, a large white shed, and a bunch of trees between the house and the river. The loss of the substation is why power was lost. They haven't generated electricity there since 2019. It's amazing the way rumors and misinformation take center stage. Some in Mankato were panicking, thinking a tsunami of water was going to swallow them up.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if the store is open yet?  Looks like a great little place.
California cheese burgers always taste better at places like that. Probably a lot of people around there now gawking.  I heard that she heard a loud bang and knew it was the dam giving away.  I sure hope that the river leaves the store there.
« Last Edit: June 06/25/24, 05:31:57 PM by LPS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is a live stream of the dam.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if the store is open yet?  Looks like a great little place.
California cheese burgers always taste better at places like that. Probably a lot of people around there now gawking.  I heard that she heard a loud bang and knew it was the dam giving away.  I sure hope that the river leaves the store there.

no it's closed, but was great years ago and I'll bet it's still good!!!  I did hear the house is still there..  and the river flow is slowing down some...    thanks for the update roony!!! 
« Last Edit: June 06/25/24, 06:26:00 PM by mike89 »

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw an interview of one of the family members who was making pies at 3:00 AM when she heard a loud crack. So it sounds like the store has been open but now is obviously closed with the current situation.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The home at Rapidan fell in at about 9:30 last night. Bummer!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, that is a bummer roony...  61 here and only going for 73 today..   not a bad day yesterday at all, even got a few things done..  thinking about going over to Alex this morning and get a few things..  have a good day all!! 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw an interview of one of the family members who was making pies at 3:00 AM when she heard a loud crack. So it sounds like the store has been open but now is obviously closed with the current situation.
One of the TV stations up here had an interview last night with the couple that runs the store & they knew the house was a goner, even if the river didn't take it. They were hoping the store would survive though as that's their main source of income. :sad:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Too bad the house had to go in and be destroyed. Well its shoot and golf day today, 50 sporting clays and nine holes of golf for league. After that finish cutting yard before tomorrow's rain comes in. Found a beer fridge, but it sounds like I'm about fifth inline for it. Nice size too, 10 cubic foot. After shooting with grandson yesterday I did get back yard mowed and new tv installed and working in camper and a couple of beers. Have a great day everyone, later...... :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin guys, we had 60 with some light rain early & it's lookin like 68 will be the high. Drove the neighbor's truck & trailer home from the resort next door when he put his boat in ~ 10 yday. Then we helped him get the canopy on his lift too. Ran my drag on the road at the end of the drive a few times. Mowed a little again after that. Got an old garage door to load on to a tailer to start this day. No more now, have a great day.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Looks like we got a shot of rain early this morning.  Will be a little cooler in the 70's today. Can handle that.  Have a good one.  The first thing I thought of when I woke up was did the house go yet? 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
morning fellers............looking to be a spiffy day outside......not hot or humid!!!!!!!  :happy1: :happy1: main project is getting the fire ring forks glued together!!!!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The home at Rapidan fell in at about 9:30 last night. Bummer!

The first pic is the house going in last night.  Notice the length of white picket fence still high and dry.  The second pic is from this morning.  I know folks are worried about the store.  When all this started everyone assumed the store would be safe.  Looking at that latest picture, I'm not so sure.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' fellow gulag comrades! 64 & sunny at choretime, heading for a high in the mid-70's. Bootiful! Made modifications to the 4-H lamb pen last nite. It has pieces of cattle panel attached inside the 4' Sydell panels we had originally. We'd tried putting the escape artist lamb in it twice prior. Both times she was over the 4' panels in under 5 minutes. The wife insisted that this was the lamb she wanted the 4-H kid to have even tho she had an alternate selected and signed up. Took me about an hour and a half to get it put together, time I could've been doing something else. "I" not "we" caught the lamb this morning and stuck her in Alcatraz. She jumped/climbed up on it & attempted to crawl under it several times, failing miserably. A lifetime of experience however has taught me these are not the type of sheep you want to keep around. They grow up to become ringleaders and a PITA, until you get revenge & ship them.  :evil:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/watch-home-collapses-into-blue-earth-river-at-roaring-rapidan-dam

good pic's Steve!!  the store could be in trouble at that rate!!!   so sad...

a short video is in the article above...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh no, what a shame. I thought the store would be ok. 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
It's not looking very good. The channel is becoming wider and deeper. Blue Earth County is now more concerned about a bridge on Count Road 9 upstream from the dam.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin all, 50 @ 1st peek here & 73 will be our high, they're sayin. :scratch: We got the garage door that was on the old shed loaded on the trailer early yday. So, that is going into Habitat for Humanity's Restore in GR this mornin. Thought about mowing but didn't................I think the grass has finally slowed down a little here. :happy1: Did work on the driveway deadfall a little though. 'Bout it here, have a good day.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 55 here and heading to 72 again today..  got a few things done yesterday and even got a bike ride in..  nice day over all!! 
not much going on today..  have a good day all!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
May dive into a welding project for the nephew today. Grass got cut yesterday. Then finish getting camper ready to head to campground for the rest of the Summer. One of the Summer's most stressful days. I need to remount the new tv on the wall using different fasteners because where its at now the wood is very thin. BUT, that's where she wants it which is the most important thing. Also, not sure how much "stuff" the wife will need to bring with. Like why do you need four chairs with when you can only sit in one of them at a time? Should wash the golf cart too now I think of it. Oh well wish me luck, later...... :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Good morning All.   Nice cool down over night and 52 here right now.   Got some yard work to do and then spending the day in the shop.  Once the shop is cleaned up the rest of the way I am cleaning up a boat motor that goes on a boat on Sat.  Have a great day!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Sounds like everyone has something to do.  I am hoping to get the oil changed on the Ranger today.  That's about it.  Have a good one.