Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1489525 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ooh ick....hey! How about a couple cornish hens cooked up?  :shocked:
think those would work too!!!!!

oh i'd add some kind of tomatoes also!!!!!!

to me and keep in mind next time down the road..like chicken.......... grill it first a whole bird.......you can cut it in pieces, extra meat throw in the soup........ that grilled flavor in the soup is lights out awesome!!!!!!

Tomatoes belong sliced on a plate with salt!  :azn: Ya know, I never thought of grillin' a whole chicken and using that in my chicky soop......gonna now! Thanks! No matter what they say, yer an alright l'il feller!  :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
any more questions.........fire away!!!!

Yes, what does a Bay leaf taste like?
[/quote] :scratch: :scratch: you've never cooked or used bay leaves??????? hard to explain..........but i know you need to not use to many it can get overpowering. its just an added flavoring like a seasoning.

we put them in soups, on a roast when you throw them in the oven, in my pickled fish. if you ever use pickling spices....that one of the ingredients!!! its definelty optional!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: :scratch: you've never cooked or used bay leaves??????? hard to explain..........but i know you need to not use to many it can get overpowering. its just an added flavoring like a seasoning.

we put them in soups, on a roast when you throw them in the oven, in my pickled fish. if you ever use pickling spices....that one of the ingredients!!! its definelty optional!!!!!!
[/quote]

GOTTA have those in with a crack-pot beef roast!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08/27/21, 12:45:34 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
think those would work too!!!!!

oh i'd add some kind of tomatoes also!!!!!!

to me and keep in mind next time down the road..like chicken.......... grill it first a whole bird.......you can cut it in pieces, extra meat throw in the soup........ that grilled flavor in the soup is lights out awesome!!!!!!

Tomatoes belong sliced on a plate with salt!  :azn: Ya know, I never thought of grillin' a whole chicken and using that in my chicky soop......gonna now! Thanks! No matter what they say, yer an alright l'il feller!  :happy1: :rotflmao:
:happy1: yeppers......chef Glenn at your service!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: AND maters are good anyway ya cook, slice or can'em!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

last time I looked cornish hens they were very spendy...

Cripes! Last couple years I picked them up dirt cheap!  I 'spose some silly reason now that they aren't available...:banghead:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: :scratch: you've never cooked or used bay leaves??????? hard to explain..........but i know you need to not use to many it can get overpowering. its just an added flavoring like a seasoning.

[/quote]

If you have a tin of dried up Schilling Bay Leaves that your wife bought 16 years ago in the back of the spice cabinet - they don't taste like nothing.

If you buy a glass jar of "premium" bay leaves from a place like Byerlys, they don't look all dried up.  They look fresh and taste wonderful in a soup or stew - especially chicky.  :happy1:

The fresher the bay leaves are, the less time you need to leave the leaf in the pot.  Sometimes, they can overpower the dish if they are too fresh and strong and are left in too long.

My uncle from California had a neighbor with a bay leaf tree and he gave me a bag of freshies.  10 minutes in the pot was all it needed.  They were the best.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Spices should never be kept more than a year, and never kept near the stove like a lot do. Heat is bad for them. I'm a spice-a-holic....about the only spice I don't like is Saffron.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am bad about that.  Some of my spices are years old.  I had some bay leaves that were so old that I can't remember what house I lived in when I bought them. lol  Then when I get a new bottle of something it tastes great!  I bought some new garlic powder awhile back and we couldn't believe how good it smelled and tasted.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Us also,  right off the side of the oven although have too many so a cupboard is half full. Looking like Ruebens paired with chips n homemade pickles tonight,  if the queens are playing well I just might split a bowl of ice cream with the pooches!  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
If my seasonings are older.... I just add more.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Tried out the new toaster oven on a Lotsa Slopsa...perfect! *burp*  :tongue:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
That doesn’t always work? The other day I was making chili sauce, but couldn’t taste any chili flavor. I kept adding and adding, no taste. I put some in my hand and tasted it, nothing only a stale taste. I do go through my spices about every year and throw out expired ones. also, I used to buy those big spice containers from Costco or Sam’s. Now I just buy the small containers, and try and buy better quality name brand spices. I Guess it depends on the spice too. Some just last longer than others?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That doesn’t always work? The other day I was making chili sauce, but couldn’t taste any chili flavor. I kept adding and adding, no taste. I put some in my hand and tasted it, nothing only a stale taste. I do go through my spices about every year and throw out expired ones. also, I used to buy those big spice containers from Costco or Sam’s. Now I just buy the small containers, and try and buy better quality name brand spices. I Guess it depends on the spice too. Some just last longer than others?
yea i was kinda joking........this has got me to thinking i need to clear out some and start over. i also know its not a good idea to by the generic stuff.......of pretty much anything,

it depends on what spice i need, things like pickling spices, chili powder, bay leaves i get the bigger container cause we use a fair amount of them!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've had no issue with generic spices.....like chives (which are spendy as heck now anyway) garlic powder, onion powder, peppercorns. I use a lot of rosemary in the grinder bottles, and that's one you don't want to get old, along with the bay leaves and parsley. But...my chili powder and smoked chili powders, and paprika's I buy all brand name. I've found Litehouse brand to be really good, fresh, and far cheaper than McCormick or Schilling brands. Just my .02 worth.

Click on the "about us" tab....interesting story!  :happy1:

https://www.litehousefoods.com/products/categories/herbs
« Last Edit: August 08/29/21, 09:38:44 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
use that blu cheese dressing but have not looked at the seasonings... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: August 08/29/21, 10:10:56 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok I'll bite, are they by the other seasonings or some place else??

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I've had no issue with generic spices.....like chives (which are spendy as heck now anyway) garlic powder, onion powder, peppercorns. I use a lot of rosemary in the grinder bottles, and that's one you don't want to get old, along with the bay leaves and parsley. But...my chili powder and smoked chili powders, and paprika's I buy all brand name. I've found Litehouse brand to be really good, fresh, and far cheaper than McCormick or Schilling brands. Just my .02 worth.

I didn’t know they had all those freeze dried product. I hate buying parsley, cilantro, and throwing half of it away. I’ll have to try some of them. We do buy their blue cheese dressing also, good stuff.
Reb, that pizza looks dam good! I’m in the danger zone for high cholesterol, so I haven’t had a pizza in over a year.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It was...if ya can keep the cheese from sliding off!!! IMO, they use way too much sauce,with with the moisture from the cheese....*SLIDE*PLOP*
I'v found if I let them cool way down, and chomp down hard, it's not too bad.
They make a great cold bfast pizza, though! Get my cholesterol checked tomorrow for my yearly physical...it's been 150. Was 110 two years ago. But a combined level of anything below 200 is OK. I still indulge, life is too short and too many no-no's anyway.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I didn’t know they had all those freeze dried product. I hate buying parsley, cilantro, and throwing half of it away. I’ll have to try some of them. We do buy their blue cheese dressing also, good stuff.
Reb, that pizza looks dam good! I’m in the danger zone for high cholesterol, so I haven’t had a pizza in over a year.
coopy, i'm in the danger zone.......and take meds for it........dont stop me from a good greasy fattening pizza........or other goodies that are bad fer ya!!!!! :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yer always in the danger zone!!!  That's why ya keep getting pkgs in the mail!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok I'll bite, are they by the other seasonings or some place else??

hey Reb!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
*snork*ZZZ*  Huh! What??!!   Oh, ya...with the other spices. Usually seperate and with the "non name brand ones". You know how they have generic ones in their own display, usually in or around those. Depends on how the store decides to merchandise 'em though, I guess.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
threw some onions and maters in the fry pan, whipped up a couple eggs and a very tasty breakfast!! 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well got some taters cooking away..  going to make the not your Grandma's tater salad or loaded baked tater salad..  decisions!!    cook the bacon will be next for it and the create it in the morning so it melds together all day... 
« Last Edit: September 09/03/21, 10:32:22 AM by mike89 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
This may not happen until tomorrow but as wet as it is there is a limit to what I want to do outside so could happen today.  I got a nice 3 1/2 lb beef arm roast.  Thinking of doing a pot roast with it.  Add spuds, carrots, celery, onions to it and let it cook till very tender. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 That sounds good! I was thinking about a roast yday...Fall must be in the air... :smiley:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
tater salad is made, tastes good!!  pig wings are soaking in a raspberry jalapeno marinate and will go in the over later today!!!