Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1489233 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Boneless nordern pike. No spear marks either! :mooning:

With my favorite with fish homemade horseradish, noodles and tomatoes. Dang forgot da picture.
« Last Edit: January 01/15/22, 06:53:02 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure if it's punishment or what, but I ain't helping my winter coat using these utensils. I'll hafta lick the plate to have a happy plate!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The fish looks great Glenn.  Do you deep fry it?  I need to get my Fry Daddy going it works pretty darn good.  I would starve to death if I had to use chop sticks Bobb.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The fish looks great Glenn.  Do you deep fry it?  I need to get my Fry Daddy going it works pretty darn good.  I would starve to death if I had to use chop sticks Bobb.
yea i deep fried it. usually all my fish. occasionally i'll grill some. not sure if its the fry daddy brand, something similar though. the batter is the fryin magic, i like the darker color it gives the fish. almost out though so i'm going with that orange color stuff next. Andy's i believe its called. i would like to use peanut oil but thats spendy, so i fry it in canola oil. i got round 2 coming for lunch......i didnt fry them all up yesterday!!!!!!

yea boober, like LPS, i'd starve to death using them sticks!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i prefer the shovel method!!!!!!!  :sleazy:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Here is a recipe for fish you should try.

Pour some hot sauce into a bowl
Dip the fillets into the hot sauce.
Coat them with flour
Dip again into milk
Roll in your favorite breading mix
Deep Fry.
My oldest grandson makes fish this way. Believe it or not, they aren't that hot and spicy. He rolls his into powdered pretzels. I like mine rolled in Original Shore Lunch mixed with corn meal for crunch.
I was up at Red Lake before Christmas and brought home some walleyes. I had a fish fry with my daughter and we made them this way.....Both were good.
« Last Edit: January 01/16/22, 09:05:41 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is a recipe for fish you should try.

Pour some hot sauce into a bowl
Dip the fillets into the hot sauce.
Coat them with flour
Dip again into milk
Roll in your favorite breading mix
Deep Fry.
My oldest grandson makes fish this way. Believe it or not, they aren't that hot and spicy. He rolls his into powdered pretzels. I like mine rolled in Original Shore Lunch mixed with corn meal for crunch.
i like trying new batters for fish!!!! when we had the seasonal camper the owners would do a big 4th of july fish fry with other goodies. they used to do the egg dip then bisquick thing with fish. it was alot of work doing all that. i finally convinced them a simple batter would be easiest.

the thing i have seen is that with mutiple ingredients in the batter it seems to absorb more grease.....maybe its just me, but i dont care for greasy fish!!!

personally i like 1 simple batter be it the ones you can buy of plain old flour seasoned up!!!! then garnished up with lemon pepper and alpine touch with my world famous horseradish!!!!! :happy1:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree.....fish is the only thing I deep fry. They just don't taste good to me in any other method of eating fish. OH....I  like smoked fish.I do get to eat some fries from McDon's or Burger King. So I do not eat fish dipped into a wet batter. Gets to greasy. As long as the last dip is into  a dry breading it works for me.
« Last Edit: January 01/16/22, 09:14:37 AM by KEN W »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
About the only time we deep fry is when we have company up at the lake. Otherwise it's The Original Shorelunch or Potato Buds most of the time & there's a Red Mill Cornmeal as well as good old saltines used sometimes too. I like a little lemon pepper on mine most the time too.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've tried all different brands of lemon peppers.......to me the very best in the stuff Alpine touch has. it rocks!!!!!!! :happy1: the only place that i know that carries it is Runnings..... but all you online shoppers  :rolleyes:i would think could find it.

you'll thank me later!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch:  :rolleyes: Not me, got some I like & I'm the only 1 that likes it so I don't need anymore.  :doah: Besides nearest Runnings is in Austin.
« Last Edit: January 01/16/22, 09:42:20 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Same with onion rings. Love them instead of french fries. But not if they are dipped into a wet batter. Like beer batter. Too greasy. Burger king makes the best onion rings. They are dipped in milk and then in bread crumbs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch:  :rolleyes: Not me, got some I like & I'm the only 1 that likes it so I don't need anymore.  :doah: Besides nearest Runnings is in Austin.
Yea but I suppose you don't use much? :moon: you gotta catch fish first . :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :scratch: :bs: :doah: Bet our freezer up at the lake has more in it than yours in CS. :nerd: :moon:
« Last Edit: January 01/16/22, 07:14:41 PM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  :scratch: :bs: :doah: Bet our freezer up at the lake has more in it than yours.  :nerd: :moon:
Yea we don't have a freezer up north!! :mooning: :mooning:

And I'd take that wager. Besides what good do they do up there when your in Iowa🤔 :doah: :scratch:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: I always bring some home :bonk: & there's still ~ 3/4 our limit of crappies & eyes still up there. :mooning:
« Last Edit: January 01/16/22, 05:20:11 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Last nights supper.  One of my favorites.  A 4 lb beef chuck roast with onions, carrots, spuds, celery. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is such a great meal for sure!!!   made the way I like to do it too!!!    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good gosh does that look good lps!! It's either lasagna or spahgotti here! Either way I'll getta side o cottage cheese!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had lasagna on my mind lately too.  Always love spaghetti.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good gosh does that look good lps!! It's either lasagna or spahgotti here! Either way I'll getta side o cottage cheese!
:pouty: :pouty: what a way to ruin either main meal!!!!!! :crazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

LPS.that gravy looks like outta a jar??? :doah: :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had lasagna on my mind lately too.  Always love spaghetti.

that's next week!!!  lasagna that is!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :pouty: my wifes lasagna was boiled egg noodles, cream of some soup  :crazy: and speggetti sauce....... i finally said no more..i want sketti i'll make my world famous....... :sleazy:

we  gota reciepe from a friend thats good.........and NO COTTAGE CHEESE and has real lasagna noodles!!!!!! :smoking: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: :pouty: my wifes lasagna was boiled egg noodles, cream of some soup  :crazy: and speggetti sauce....... i finally said no more..i want sketti i'll make my world famous....... :sleazy:

we  gota reciepe from a friend thats good.........and NO COTTAGE CHEESE and has real lasagna noodles!!!!!! :smoking: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

somebody missed their nap time I think!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

somebody missed their nap time I think!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: naw i got a short one in..damn dawg!!!!!! :doah: :rotflmao:

sometimes i wake up real crabby after a nap...................... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: :pouty: what a way to ruin either main meal!!!!!! :crazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

LPS.that gravy looks like outta a jar??? :doah: :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Hey I should have mentioned that is maybe the best gravy I ever made.  I used that beef paste in a jar bullion stuff and water whilst it was cooking.  Then I took beef and the veggies out when done and used corn starch and water mixed up and then added it in and wala, gravy.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that sounds tasty!!!  how much paste to water??? 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, did you cook that in the oven or crock pot?? It does really look like good stuff  :happy1: just had to razz ya a bit. :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Most are roasts are baked in the oven. I use the water from that to make the gravy.  And if we boil potatoes some of the potato wayer. But I use water and flour for the gravy, then some kitchen bouquet to darken and add flavor.

We also toss on or in the roast a bag of the dry Lipton onion soup mix.
« Last Edit: January 01/20/22, 05:49:39 PM by glenn57 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
First I seared the roast in a large pot with some olive oil.  Then put onion chunks under it.  Added 16 ozs of the water beef boullion mixture and put in oven at 325.  After 2 hours I added the veggies and baked for another hour or so.  I just followed directions on boullion jar.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
More snacking material. :happy1:

I'll admit I at first was less than impressed with the change in the pike rules. But it's been quite favorable for me. Plenty of picklin and smokin material, and a few boneless nord meals to boot!!! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman