Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: NFL Stuff  (Read 56528 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Even though I bet against the Pack and Lions it was fun to see them win.  Always fun to see Jerry stressed.  LOL 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch:Saturday night's Wild Card Round matchup between the Miami Dolphins and the Kansas City Chiefs, which streamed exclusively on Peacock, garnered historic viewing numbers.

The game was the most streamed event in U.S. history, drawing an audience of 23 million viewers.According to The Athletic's Mark Puleo and Richard Deitsch, last November's matchup between the Dallas Cowboys and Seattle Seahawks on Prime Video held the previous record for the most streamed NFL game at 15.26 million viewers.

Unfortunately for viewers, the game didn't offer much excitement after the first half. The Chiefs held a 16-7 lead heading into the half and piled on in the second half to win the game 26-7.
Sunday Night Football, which is typically on NBC, also streamed on Peacock this season, but Saturday's game marked the first playoff game exclusively on a streaming network.

Seeing how well the game did for Peacock, it may not be the last streaming-exclusive playoff game.  :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe you but find it hard to believe that that many people cared enough to watch that game. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Even with all the "Swifties"?  ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Who would have thought.....Final 8 has.....2 teams from the NFC North and ZERO from the NFC East. :confused: :confused:

Packers the youngest team in NFL and Lions close to the youngest. Bears looked much better second half of the season. Could be a real tough road ahead for our Vikings. Especially with the QB situation. The most important player on the field. :pouty: :pouty:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Even with all the "Swifties"?  ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

Hadn't thought about those Chiefs fans.  LOL

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen that the Falcons annouced on Monday that they'd already talked to Belichick.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That may work. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe you but find it hard to believe that that many people cared enough to watch that game. 
:scratch: Read a pc that said the most watched NFL games last weekend had 40 & 36 million viewers & even #3 was ~ 30. So they figure that the streamed game cost the NFL at least 6 to 10, maybe even 12, million fans. :cool: But yet, the NFL & all the media are still hyping it as a huge success. :confused:
« Last Edit: January 01/17/24, 07:51:50 AM by Gunner55 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the explanation.  It just doesn't seem possible that was such a success because it wasn't.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure it was a success...  for the NFL.  They got important data.  They might have not had the maximum number of viewers, but now they know how many they lost.  And if they do it again next year, they'll know if that number is trending up or down.

The other thing is, it isn't just the NFL.  Its also NBC/Peacock - as a network they are also trying to maximize the monetization of their broadcast channel plus streaming service.  And since they are partnered with the NFL, they're all motivated to make as much money as possible - even if it means impinging on 'free' access to viewers.

I don't think they'll ever stop tinkering to make more money:  streaming service access, over seas games, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :crazy: :pouty: well...this is one feller that aint gonna ever pay for a streaming service to watch anything.....not that important to me. :bs: :surrender:

hell.....i got hallmark and lifetime........what more does i guy need!!!!!  :crazy: :crazy: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
hell.....i got hallmark and lifetime........what more does i guy need!!!!!  :crazy: :crazy: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

This?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The last game that was only available by streaming only had roughly 15.2 million viewers, which was then a record. So NBC/Peacock can look at it say, look the # of viewers is up. What they won't tell you is that the earlier game wasn't a playoff game. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10105095-dolphins-chiefs-nfl-playoff-game-draws-23m-viewers-most-streamed-event-in-us-history

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The problem is...  Right now the NFL is seemingly bullet proof as a money printing machine.

No matter what they do to it, they just seem to get more out of it.  And the more money they get out of it, the more they want to tweak it to get more.

Remember when prize fight boxing was one of the most popular sports; when all the biggest fights were free on network TV?  They F-ed it up when they switched to pay per view.  Now, mostly no one cares about boxing (even before MMA came along).

However, NFL has so much momentum (and times and technology have changed) that flirting with steaming services isn't going to amount to more than a dent in sports popularity or their revenue streams.

And in the end...  they WILL be making more money.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Straight from a recent MSN article:While it's impossible to know what the NFL eventually will do, at some point the NFL will jeopardize its broadcast antitrust exemption if it puts too many playoff games on pay-only platforms.

Already, New York congressman Pat Ryan has suggested that House of Representatives explore the law that allows the league's teams to sell their TV rights collectively, based on the decision to stream a playoff game.

The NFL's push to streaming began in 2022, when the NFL moved Thursday Night Football from free on Fox to prime on Amazon. There wasn't much of an outcry over that. But this is a playoff game; for many, it represents the first step in something that could expand to more postseason contests.

That's up to the league. But the league should tread lightly. Without the broadcast antitrust exemption, the NFL would face significant liability if it forces networks that would prefer to purchase the right to televise only Cowboys home games to also take home games from all teams. Eventually, every team would do its own deal. And it would become very hard to hold the league together if one team is making $1 billion per year and another team is making $50 million per yea
:confused:
« Last Edit: January 01/17/24, 02:52:04 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
And it would become very hard to hold the league together if one team is making $1 billion per year and another team is making $50 million per yea

Sounds like MLB doesn't it?
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And it would become very hard to hold the league together if one team is making $1 billion per year and another team is making $50 million per yea

Sounds like MLB doesn't it?
I was thinking the same thing.  Sounds like something Jerry Jones and his buddies would be pushing for.

Maybe the NFL isn't bullet proof after all - is someone gets too greedy.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We all know there is no greed in the NFL.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So basically Amazon bailed out Diamond so they can crawl out of bankruptcy so now Amazon will become a huge sports network as well as their other things.  I sure wish I would have bought stock in Amazon back when Glenn did.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Belichek on second interview with Falcons.  Cowboys keeping McCarthy for at least another year.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
 I sure wish I would have bought stock in Amazon back when Glenn did.   
[/quote]

I think that was Walmart stock Glenn bought.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So basically Amazon bailed out Diamond so they can crawl out of bankruptcy so now Amazon will become a huge sports network as well as their other things.  I sure wish I would have bought stock in Amazon back when Glenn did.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

i i bough some right after i invested in walfart!!!!!! :crazy: :doofus: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man are the Ravens humming.  Gonna be hard not to pick them to win it all.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i went to bed at the end of the 3rd quarter of the packer game......surprised the 49ers pulled it out this morning!!! :doah:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: It's an old case (2015) but there's been a recent ruling in another lawsuit on the NFL's broadcast rights. Jan 12 (Reuters) - The National Football League must face a multibillion-dollar trial in February over the distribution of its exclusive “Sunday Ticket” telecast package of games, after a U.S. judge on Thursday declined to throw out the class-action case.
Los Angeles-based U.S. District Judge Philip Gutierrez ruled, opens new tab that a nationwide class of residential and commercial Sunday Ticket subscribers can move ahead with claims that the NFL long has curbed competition for the sale of game telecasts.Sunday Ticket, previously available on DirecTV but now carried by Google’s YouTube TV, provides out-of-market games that are not otherwise available for free in local markets on CBS or Fox networks. Google and DirecTV are not defendants.
The plaintiffs contend that the NFL's business deal for distributing the package has artificially inflated its price, in violation of U.S. antitrust law.
Gutierrez’s ruling rejecting the NFL's bid for summary judgment paves the way for a Feb. 22 trial, where alleged damages have been estimated at $6 billion. The commercial plaintiffs include bars, hotels and restaurants.
  :confused:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
i went to bed at the end of the 3rd quarter of the packer game......surprised the 49ers pulled it out this morning!!! :doah:
Love threw 2 interceptions in the 4th quarter. The 1st INT was tipped & led to a SF FG but the last 1 that ended the game was pretty ugly. GB missed a FG with ~ 6:00 left too.
« Last Edit: January 01/21/24, 07:59:41 AM by Gunner55 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup GB hung in there and looked pretty darn good for most of the game.  I was surprised how good they looked for the most part.