Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50782 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup that would be more the direction that I would take too Mike.   :sleazy:  Followed by cat burgers for supper.  With lots of ketchup.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Could mail some to glenn!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm on to my second planting of Radishes, and today I harvested my first kolarobi of the season.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good eats!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Same with dog poop. :thumbs:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
But horse poop is good!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Use chicken manure sparingly. Very high in N.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
get out of the garden!!!!   bang!!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

You know how old ladies get attached to their cats. For the life of me I don't know why. When my Mom had a stroke, she called the ambulance then went out the barn and fed her cats in case she wound up in the hospital.  :rolleyes:  :doah:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mess with my garden? Eff around and find out!  :coffee:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
First harvest of the year! Our new garden this year we have tomatoes, pepper (green and jalapeños), snap peas, bush beans, radishes, carrots, onions, beets, cucumbers, chives, dill, and outside the garden we have rhubarb and asparagus. Everything is doing great except the carrots?
We have a 40 acre farm 1/2 mile down the road from the lake place. That is where the garden is.
Not as nice as Glenn’s or Ken’s, but it will get there?
nuttin wrong with that garden coopy!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks better than Glenn's.
:rotflmao: :pouty: :tut: :tut: keep it up bucko, I'll be sending you a special shipment of WRENS!!!🤭🤭🤣 :rotflmao: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday's final score: Dotch 4, Gophers 0. We'd been coexisting nicely since earlier in the season when I'd poisoned some that were digging up the Indian corn & sweet corn. Then they started digging new holes in the small flower garden closer to the house. Filled the holes in and they came right back. Tried drowning them in their new hole with buckets of water. Filled the hole in again. They came right back only this time the hole was smaller. Hadn't actually been able to catch them in the act until yesterday at lunch time. Saw the 1st one, just a little shrimp. Offed him & put the .22 away. Looked out about 5 minutes later, another little shrimp. Got him & put the gun back. Another 5 minutes & there's a larger one starting to dig again. Greased that one out and kept the gun handy. One more larger model appeared. Blasted it and decided I'd better get back to work. Was sure a lot more fun shooting gophers from the air conditioned house than it was tramping around in the fields yesterday. Could still hear one whistling this a.m. so might have to check again this noon.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Good shooting!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'll trade you the 2 jakes we had looking in the living room window last nite for some wrens... :whistling:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty soon you'll have enough of them gophers to throw in da souze vidy machine and cook up a batch while enjoying a few boodles!!👍 :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :tut: :tut: Oh, would you look at the time! I need to go to the post office... :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut: :tut: Oh, would you look at the time! I need to go to the post office... :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :evil: :nerd: :nerd:

holy crappers........got  call from Becks Garden Center asking if i was ready for my pickles!!!!!!! :shocked: :rolleyes: i ordered A bushel. my dill is at least 3 weeks out, not sure if i got enough in the freezer and everything i need is still tucked away!!!!!!!!

they like me  :sleazy: so in a coupe weeks they'll call again!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just picked some dill that is overtaking parts of our garden.  So do you just cut the root off and then put in gallon ziplock for use when making pickles? 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just picked some dill that is overtaking parts of our garden.  So do you just cut the root off and then put in gallon ziplock for use when making pickles?
yep, cut it right underneath the head of the dill. Put it in the bag, get as much air out as you can and throw it in the freezer. I've used dill 2 years old out of the freezer.

Thaw it out as you need it  :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine hasn't gotten a head on it yet but had to pull it out of the maters.  I cut off the root and vac packed it.  It really smells strong dill.  We like lots of dill in our pickles.  Should work great.    :happy1: :happy1: 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dis was in the garden today!!👍👍

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Very nice! That cuke is almost blue-colored... :scratch: :rotflmao:

Got rid of one more gopher the other day at lunch. Can see there's at least one small model left judging by the digging. At least they got the hint (so far) the small garden is a dangerous place to play. Got some sweet corn I stabbed in some gaps a few days ago already coming up. If it makes an ear great, if not at least it helps keep the weeds down. That has really been a battle in this year's garden. Kept them down last year pretty well but the purslane in particular has been a real PITA. Since the rain I see a carpet of what appears to be tiny waterhemp coming so actually need it to dry up a little so I can run the tiller thru it and hoe where needed. Pulled most of the crap out of the beets last nite. Be the last time I grow those damn things for a while. Crummy seed. In two 15' rows I think I have about 15 beets. :doah: I forgot what weak tit, vulnerable plants beets are when they're small relative to stuff like sweet corn, string beans, cukes, squash, etc. There was a reason sugar beets were not on my favorite list when we had to weed and thin them in soil fertility plots. Same deal.   

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulled the first beets today for supper. Along with bacon wrapped pork loin and fried potatoes. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so while working at the store.......out back they have a shopping cart with ripped bags of compost with manure and potting soil. i inquired with the store manager what there intent was to be with them. they obviously cant sell them, so i told him i'd be interested in taking them off there hands!

we struck a deal at 2 bucks a bag!!!!!!!!1  :dancinred: :dancinred: so i'm taking them all. i'll give my brother the potting soil and i get the compost with manure!!!!! :happy1:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My union negotiation skills worked wonders!!🤣

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked some carrots and my first green pepper. Those colored carrots taste just like the orange ones!! Also started picking dill yesterday!! Gonna need it, Becks called again yesterday. The plan is canning pickles Wed.
« Last Edit: July 07/10/22, 12:52:12 PM by glenn57 »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I was reading some where that the first carrots were all purple!!!  interesting... 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I bought those colored carrots in a tape for this year.....never again, all top, no carrot.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I got the seed packet like Glenn showed us last spring and they are coming along nicely...  never tried a seed tape before...