Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 51445 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
One of the wifes friends needed dill so we picked her some at noon.  We kind of gave up on carrots but they are still growing.  The wife couldn't pull one of them it got so big.  I had to dig down around it to get it.  Was about 10".  Biggest one we ever raised by far.
I always take a fork and loosen the the ground before pulling carrots. :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hopefully the canna king (deadeye) can chime in on this one. Our cannas in the bed by the well are way taller than they've ever been, a lot of them close to 7'. Hoping the shorter yellow cannas have enough bulbs under them so I can propagate them another year & have enough to share. I got only two bulbs from the plant last year after dividing it. Both resulting clumps are doing well and seem to be responding to the deadheading just like the red ones have. They only get 2' - 3' tall so they'll have a fit here in beds where we want to attracts hummingbirds and pollinators but don't want plants as competitive as the taller cannas. They just take over which is great in the right spot.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
between 3-5 feet tall
Most varieties grow between 3-5 feet tall, though dwarf types will top out under 2 feet and some can grow to be 8 feet tall. Staking: Though the plants grow to be fairly tall, they have strong, bulky stems, and rarely need to be staked. Watering: Cannas are plants that truly need wet feet to thrive.

found this Dotch, maybe help ya...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thought I'd better get a couple pics for the family calendar and would share here too while I was at it. The July & particularly the August rains really brought the beds around, just in time for the hummingbird migration. When one plants this stuff, you never know how it'll turn out.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
those look great Dotch!!!!!!!!!

tell your bride she does nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
They look really nice!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Love that stuff growing on the power pole. 

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cannas are pretty simple. Plant bulbs that were dug and stored over winter and provide plenty fertilizer and water. Full sun is best and they like competition such as a fence or shrubs, even corn.

That is a 6' fence behind us. Sometimes I use a chainsaw to cut the stalks in the fall.

Morning glories are really a great self-seeding flowering plant

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I like the morning glories for the same reason deadeye. I was chastised once however by a friend from IL who couldn't figure out why I enjoyed growing weeds! Particularly in parts of IN & IL, one can still find them in some fields although today's herbicide choices have largely eliminated them. Once in a while on Crop Tour though, we get into a field, wind up tripping and falling due to the morning glory vines. Then I know what my buddy was talking about.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looking forward to this year's apple crop. Picked up a ground fall Honeycrisp yesterday and had it for dessert after lunch today. OMG! Had a small bird pick in it but was better than any Honeycrisp I've ever bought. Dribbled juice all over. The tree is loaded. And to think I almost cut it down once! :doah: Can't wait for the pears now. If that apple was any indication, will need to wear a rain suit to eat those. Looks like they're about a week or so out yet judging by the ground falls and the pears still on the tree. Haralson apple tree is loaded too. I see apple pie in my future... 🍎🍐 🥧 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you get all the good fruit!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Zestar apples ready to eat. About 30 on my young tree.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just pulled all of our carrots.  We have some pretty nice ones too.  First time we planted them.  The red onions tops are laying down now.  Just starting to turn brown at the tips.  Time to pull them now too?  I believe that is what youse guys mentioned.  Nice looking onions too. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After returning from the car cruise made a swing thru the garden to assess the situation. Found these bad boys so pulled & scrubbed them up then refrigerated for future reference. Crisp & sweet with the radish bite reminding you it ain't no rutabeggar...  :whistling:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
picked some radishes  i planted a few weeks ago also!!!!! :happy1: gonna pick and pull my green beans tomorrow, then only thing left is the radishes some carrots and the maters.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Don't forget to water yer garden!  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't forget to water yer garden!  :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yep just did last night!!!!!!! :happy1: its down to hand watering now though. saving water for the west coast!!!! :doofus: :crazy: :rotflmao:

so.......does anyone else have sediun flowers around???? we have 4 in the the flower bed in the garden........holy hannah were there honeybees and yellow jackets working them over last night.  :happy1: :happy1: love it!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We used to but they kinda got overgrown in the one bed. There are a couple big ones growing by the post office here. Bees all over them whenever I mail stuff off to ya... :shocked:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes we have 3 of them and they just started turning red a few days ago.  That is when the bees show up.  They are at on of the hummer feeders too.   Well I pulled the onions yesterday.  They are drying in the garage on some newspaper.  The wife reminded me how we put them in pantyhose and hung them in the basement so I will do that in a couple of weeks or when they are dried up good.  Drop one in and tie a knot and keep doing that until it is full. Then just cut the bottom knot off to get an onion.  Picked a lot of pole beans and the wife vac packed them in serving size portions and froze them.  Got a few red maters too.  The cukes are about done I think but got a few of them too. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my green beans will be picked and pulled today. trying to get all my garden canning stuff done before my wife goes under the knife! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Our tomatoes have slowed way down, still goy a few that need to ripen though.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I picked enough for a salad to go with our brats tonight.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Add some Italian dressing and your golden!! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I love a good salad!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
blue cheese!!! 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I never buy anything with low fat on the label but my favorite Blue Cheese dressing is the Jimmy's Lighthouse Blue Cheese Lite.  It is just right.  Sometimes I like French and Blue Cheese. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Lighthouse is #1!!  Ken's steakhouse is very good too...  and when in Coborns there four brothers is good too...  and add nothing extra..   :rotflmao:   just the one dressing is good foe me!!! 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Checked on these last nite. Based on some of the ground falls I ripened from last week, they looked about ready to bring inside & ripen. Picked as many of the biggest ones I could tonite since it's supposed to be windy tomorrow. Should have a couple more buckets to pick yet.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We got our pears in a box  :sleazy: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Seriously do yours taste much different then the ones you buy??  They look pretty close to the same.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
These Parkers are very close flavor-wise but perhaps even a little sweeter & juicier than the store bought models. The downside is they ripen and get mushy very quickly. The sheep don't mind but as the trees get older. I'll need to learn how to can pears. Something else I can give people. Mom did peaches and pears every year she was able. Always enjoyed getting a jar of pears in my care packages when I was a college student.