Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 44972 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
My onions!

[attachment deleted by admin]
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking good Glenn. I have to say it drives me nuts to see your nice garden. 140 miles makes a huge difference this year.. There's always next year for me.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
My 4 rows of 65 Candy Onions. Just starting to go down. Probably pulling them in a week and hanging in my shop to dry.

Have to pull out and leave them on the ground overnight to dry the dirt off the roots. Tie in bunches and hang on a nail until Freeze up.

Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking good Glenn. I have to say it drives me nuts to see your nice garden. 140 miles makes a huge difference this year.. There's always next year for me.
thanks, but you wouldnt say that by the looks of some of my tomtaoes!!!!! :confused: :doah:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice looking boxes Ken.  Mine I made out of treated wood and had a corner blow out of one this year.  Need to improve my operation.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
treated wood warps real easy... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Did your maters ever come around roony? They look pretty decent here now that it stopped raining every other day. I just laugh though when I look at my miserable excuse for peppers right next to them. Cukes are starting to flower. Gal in the car club has none sounds like. They all died on her. If these get cranked up we should have her covered. 2nd planting of string beans have passed the half fast 1st planting in height already. Sweet corn responded well to the N I applied as did the vine crops.   
« Last Edit: July 07/21/24, 02:37:08 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice looking boxes Ken.  Mine I made out of treated wood and had a corner blow out of one this year.  Need to improve my operation.
dont build it during happy hour!!!!!! :shocked: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I read that treated wood is bad for a garden cause the chemicals?

I built mine out of cedar.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, yes the tomatoes have improved. Still not stellar. My Celebrity is the best looking plant by far. The peppers aren't terrible. The bunnies topped off a few of them. I did some tilling by the beans and carrots on Friday. The ground is like concrete. The tiller shook the daylights out of me. The cukes are way behind but don't look too bad right now. Same with all the other Vining plants. I hate to say it but we could use a shot of rain. There is something coming out of the NE now. We'll see what happens.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I read that treated wood is bad for a garden cause the chemicals?

I built mine out of cedar.
Barry don't let little things like poison bother him.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
With rain appearing imminent, I readjusted my schedule. Figured about the time I got the lawnmower out, it would let loose. Instead I did a 3 hr. deep manual weeding on everything, Round Up Ready sweet corn included. It might be wishful thinking but the peppers seem to be looking slightly improved. Hard for them to look any worse. Dew never completely came off in the long grass & it's sprinkling so that might put an end to any mowing notions I had. Like you said roony, a half inch to an inch wouldn't hurt after the monsoon season ended. Root systems are pretty shallow on a lot of stuff and the concrete soil you mentioned ain't helping matters. 
« Last Edit: July 07/21/24, 03:36:00 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, what I was waiting for finally happened overnight. Bear got into my sweet corn patch at my daughter's house. cobs chewed and stalks pulled out and broken off.

Deer don't do that. So I sprayed repellent around the rows. Hopefully it keeps it away. It worked when a bear did damage 2 years ago. Supposed to mimic coyote urine.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Drink a lot of water so you can pee on the garden.  LOL

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman

I will tell my daughter that.  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I will tell my daughter that.  :rotflmao:
don't forget to eat lots of asparagus first! :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I took a few days off and headed west, came back and everything exploded. I didn't grab any peppers while I was  harvesting ( that'll be tomorrow) but ended up with 4 qts of refrigerator pickles,ya some got kinda big. Grandma is coming over for the zookini in the morning.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So, is the garlic the same? How do I know when they're done?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
it's been a while since I grew it, if I remember right you plant it in the fall and harvest about now. I think it should start turning brown on the bottom.  Pull one and take a look.

If you got alot,  I remember  taking the better ones, pulling them apart and replanting for next year

Maybe someone else can pipe in
« Last Edit: July 07/22/24, 03:04:33 PM by glenn57 »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
We go to the St. Joe's farmers market on Fridays a lot.  There's a few local farmers that bring their stuff. I asked one when the garlic would be coming, he said a few weeks yet. 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
has anyone else picked any tomatoes yet??????  I've picked 5. there small, but 4 have had the blossom end rot.  :confused: it hasnt been inconsistent watering with all the rain. Grrrrrrr!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked a couple porch tomatoes but the birds and bugs beat me to eating them.  :pouty:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've picked 12 so far.
I have a lot of green ones, so I'm waiting on mother nature to start making salsa...

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
It just amazes me how resilient plants are. My Sunsugar made an amazing comeback. I named the plant Lazarus. Now I'm hoping for a late frost.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Here it is at about its worst

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

When my peppers improve like that 1st pic I'm having a party. The main thing is they are actually improving.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
No ripe tomatoes, but I have had blossom end rot on a couple bell peppers. I now have put straw around both my tomatoes and peppers to help stabilize moisture.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Roony...i have a couple mater plants that still look really sick..........to the point if there isnt drastic improvement when i get back to the cabin they getting pulled. they got small maters on them but no more flowers!!!!

Ken......i have a pretty good mat of maple leaves around all my tomatoes, cukes and peppers. peppers are doing ok but the plants themselves are way smaller then normal. but then again whats normal this year in the garden.  :crazy: :crazy: :scratch: :doah:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn....Give them some fertilizer. Either 10-10-10 garden fertilizer or Miracle Grow dissolved 1 Tbs per gallon of water.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn....Give them some fertilizer. Either 10-10-10 garden fertilizer or Miracle Grow dissolved 1 Tbs per gallon of water.
:happy1: did that before the rain!!!!! :happy1:

when i get back they'll get miracle grow!!!!!