Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: horseshoe chain  (Read 29289 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Lookin at the satellite it appears a lot of it up to just south of Mille Lacs is out or ~ ready to. :happy1: Warmer temps & some rain this week will help that.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
on my adventures this morning I drove past the Hwy 22 access. there where only 44 vehicles and rigs park there. the cold spring access was packed too.

thought it be safe to head to fleet farm but that place was a friggin zoo also!!!!! :doofus: :doofus:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I took the scenic route up to my moms this afternoon. the horseshoe chain looks pretty empty today!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I took the scenic route up to my moms this afternoon. the horseshoe chain looks pretty empty today!!!
uh huh, sounds to me you found more insanity at fleet farm than da lake.. :doofus:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
uh huh, sounds to me you found more insanity at fleet farm than da lake.. :doofus:
:happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I did...……...cause I didn't go on da lake. and my blood pressure thanks me!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sunday and Mothers Day.  They are all at home or out buying things for the yard. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well since my previous informative post got zapped i'll post it again!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I had heard that no parking signs were posted along the winter access. since I was totally bored I took a scenic drive around the chain. and it is posted, to the hilt. there were however vehicles parked just beyond the signs. this is going to create very dangerous safety issues if you do not know that system well. sure enough people are using the river access and heading over to the chain. DUMB..DUMB...DUMB. theres a lot of current there and that meth hole is out there. its really dangerous where the river hits the lake too!!!

anyway there were quite a few people out. on Schneider, by the golf course, there were people in the channel, and that's a given, there where 2 wheelhouses around the corner by the resort with wheelers by them. a few on the chain scattered all over. on the south end of long lake there was a good amount out fishing and a few on browns lake. grand lake was full of people.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It didn't really get zapped....when we switch servers, a copy is taken and transferred to the next computer. If you post while it's being done, the post may not be transferred.

Sorry for any inconveniences......  :mooning:

Butt....Thanks for the report!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
No issues here HD. I WAS just irritating Reb!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It didn't really get zapped....when we switch servers, a copy is taken and transferred to the next computer. If you post while it's being done, the post may not be transferred.

That's OK HD. :cool: We won't miss it as we get PLENTY from him.............................too bad it's 98% :bs:. ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

That's OK HD. :cool: We won't miss it as we get PLENTY from him.............................too bad it's 98% :bs:. ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :pouty: :pouty:

looks like there has been a bit more activity out on bowstring!!!!!!!!!!

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I did see two snowmobiles go by Bowstring Shores yesterday but I haven't seen anyone fishing yet.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
rumor has it that a 4 wheeler with a trailer went through on horseshoe. i new this was coming with the no parking signs along the winter access on hwy 22. people are using the summer access on the river and going over to horseshoe to fish them catfish. along with the weather the ice is deteriating and the current is picking up making dangerous conditions not  only on the river , but where the  lake and river meet.    :tut: :pouty: :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Before I headed up to Mikey's I took a drive around the chain. A good amount of vehicles out on the ice. Looked like a party out on Brown's lake. Long had them scattered all over. A bunch on cedar and all over in horseshoe.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got bored to took a drive around the chain. lot of water on top of the ice, but its not seeping in so one would think the ice is still pretty good...…..for now. there was 1 truck out on browns lake, anyone else out was by wheeler or foot. there were not a lot of people out.

the 3 bridges I crossed, the river were open. open water by the camp woody bridge that goes from horseshoe to long. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
when I brought my venny trimmings up to Richmond I took a quick drive around horseshoe. looks like the access points are toast for even wheelers. only seen foot travel. most the access points I seen had open water.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got bored, took a drive around the chain. I seen 2 people out on schneider lake. the culvert/creek area was open water for a ways out on the lake. these guys were plenty far away.

the river system is pretty much wide open except for west of the cty rd 49 bridge. that's the road that goes behind the blue heron. there was ice yet west of the bridge out a ways. I seen one guy out on cedar island but the ice is pulling away from shore. I heard yesterday the hwy 22 river acess was open all the way out to the meth hole, so with the wind yesterday I fully expected to see ice piled up along the shore in that area but it wasn't. :scratch:

the channel between horseshoe and long wasw ide open to.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took  cruise around the horseshoe chain. Boat landings are busy, bunch fishing from shore in select areas. Fair amount of activity at resorts and campgrounds.

Yesterday coming home from the the Generals place the landing on HWY 55 to koronis had 5 boat's and about 10 people fishing from shore. Man where there done rollers out on the main lake of koronis.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah.............................so!  :rolleyes: :doah: :pouty: :nerd: :nerd:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
todays st cloud times had an article with the headlines regarding fish limit changes on 9 local area lakes. the DNR is looking to reduce sunfish limits on these lakes from 20 to 10.

it turns out the lakes essentially make up the lakes of the horseshoe chain by richmond.

just an opinion but there wasnt much said about the panfish population in that chain until a couple years after they introduced the damn catfish in that system. :doah: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
From what I've read that is the main strategy of the QBI(Quality Bluegill Iniative) that they're implementing all over the state. Any lakes that they think are capable of growing big gills they would like to reduce the limits on if it doesn't create a public uproar. Your buddy ;) :rolleyes:, Weitzel is the lead man, the DNR & SLPOA have been asking for input from people on the lake for over a year now. Heard talk of them tryin to make some lakes even havin 5  :fish2: limits on Crappie, with slots too. Some states, mostly out east, have been doing this for quite a few years now with good results.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
From what I've read that is the main strategy of the QBI(Quality Bluegill Iniative) that they're implementing all over the state. Any lakes that they think are capable of growing big gills they would like to reduce the limits on if it doesn't create a public uproar. Your buddy ;) :rolleyes:, Weitzel is the lead man, the DNR & SLPOA have been asking for input from people on the lake for over a year now. Heard talk of them tryin to make some lakes even havin 5  :fish2: limits on Crappie, with slots too. Some states, mostly out east, have been doing this for quite a few years now with good results.
:tut: :tut: he aint my buddy  :tut: :tut: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: he should stay in grand rapids!!! :rotflmao: yea the number was 5 at first but the locals got it back to 10.

i go to LSF occasional dew2 is there now and then he said some of the lakes out that way are going the same direction. the one thing i've seen was if the DNR has this in there sites, they can have all the public input there is, its still gonna happen. :confused:

frankly some lakes i can see it but not others. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I think they would've liked to go to 5 on Sand too but there was too much push back from the people on the lake, especially the resorts.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm just glad there doing individual lakes, not like the pike regulations now. before our lake froze out the last 2 years we had a pile of sunfish in that lake. in my opinion reducing the limit would of been not a good idea. i felt they needed to come out. in the times i was at the cabin i didnt ever see many people target sunfish, a few but not many.

at first i thought the pike regulation was really stupid, but looking at lake finder and the gill and net surveys i seen alot of small pike in there results. i'm beginning to believe the regulation might do some good. but frankly i dont know many people that go out at specifically target little snot rockets. our family does because we like pickled fish, so do the people i share them with.  :nerd: and it takes all 10 or 20 fillets to make 5 qts of pickled fish too!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I pulled another nice nord, 27-28", out of our bay chasin Crappies again this fall. Can't remember exaclty how long but do remember that I figured it was ~ 5.5#'s. Could've kept it but didn't, it wasn't hooked bad & those are pretty rare on Sand. Gotta be close to 10 years with the special regs on our lake & I have to agree, I believe it has helped. It's gotten so I don't like to clean 'em if it isn't 18-21.5"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not the chain, but on the way home from st cloud we drove by pleasant lake, where the 400 club is. That lake is still 99% open water. Pretty much decided wasn't worth checking out the chain

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
on my way up to see mom i took a quick drive around the horseshoe chain. schnieder was locked up. there was 1 person checking the ice on the access on long lake across from the browns lake access. looked like he had gone out about 40 yards but was closer to the landing when i seen him.

browns lake had open water, there where about 20 swans out there, otherwise the ice looked to be thin and virgin as in noone ese checked the ice. smooth as glass. i was surprised as the meth hole appeared to be froze as well as the river access on hwy 22. but no way saf.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
took the little pooch for a ride around the chain. pooch is getting a bit better. :happy1:

people are scattered all over, some vehicles out on the lake some parked on shore. heard the lake we used to have the camper on has a foot of ice and people are driving 1/2 ton trucks out. :doofus: :crazy: :confused:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Yeah so................ :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: